Chicago Hope Forums

CBS (ended 2000)

Did the show 'lose something' when Mandy Patinkin left or not?

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 41

Personally, I thought Mandy Patinkin was fantastic in the show, but I believe it DID manage to hold it's own without him, possibly better than Criminal Minds has managed to do, although, there's still time for Criminal Minds. Mandy is such an excellent actor that it's a pity that he has left two shows in which he had such major roles.

Do others think that Chicago Hope managed to continue and be excellent without Mandy or did it drop considerably in your estimation?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 45
    I think both shows have done just fine without him perhaps more noticeably due to so many other characters with compelling stories and great acting on Chicago Hope.

HelloStuart

[3]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 63
    From the standpoint of a viewer, I didn't notice a big drop in quality. Knowing Mandy's reputation as a petulant control freak, I think the casts of both shows --and especially Thomas Gibson-- were happy to see him go.

Lady_Lancaster

[4]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 41

Indeed, poor old Thomas Gibson was in BOTH shows, so maybe the luck just keeps following him! I hope his character doesn't leave Criminal Minds or I doubt I would watch it anymore, but then again, we shall see.

Lady Lancaster

aliviastokes

[5]Oct 23, 2010
    • level: 1

No,I think the show was perfect for all of season 3. i think season 4 was a drop in quality, but by season 5 the show was superb again.

Bbrit1776

[6]Nov 27, 2010
    • level: 9

Personally, when Mandy played on Chicago Hope he was such an ass. And I didnt really like his character. The show was better off with him but at the sametime better off without him.

DebraMcClure

[7]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 17

Mandy Patinkin brings something to any project he's involved in - he is an intense and enigmatic actor, and whatever you may feel about his characterizations - you are never "neutral" about him. It is interesting that the commentor mentions both Chicago Hope and Criminal Minds and asks the question did these series lose something when Mandy Patinkin left. I was going to comment on both shows as well. I remember not liking his character on Chicago Hope, so I didn't really miss him. Criminal Minds, however, seemed like a different show after the character of Gideon "vanished" from the program. The show has now lost another veteran, A.J. Cook. I certainly wont be watching that show as often as I once did.