Chobits Forums

(ended 2002)

What persocomes can and can't do

Tamir21

[1]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 5
    Ok, through out the anime they constantly repeat that there are just some things persocomes can and can't do, so I'm guessing they are implying how persocomes can be made to look perfect and act however you want them to and yet are in the end only computers that are programmed, and yet with this new ability to love ... i have to ask what can't they do? Apart from save you money on grocery bills lol! I mean I'm guessing (in the words of hideki) that they are able to do 'those kinds of things' otherwise whats the point in the peep show etc...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Angus_Mac

[2]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 71
    Some persocomms get worn out and damaged so they lose their memories, or it gets erased. That seems to be the main issue with many of the persocomms in the series, like Yuzuki, Ueda, and of course Chi and Freya. In terms of being fully functional like Data on Star Trek, Chi has a built-in limitation.

Tempest_Richie

[3]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think there might be quite alot of things that persicoms wont be able to do because of the simple reason that they dont act on free will and have to be programmed to do things like what kokobunji (spelling?) said about yuzuki.

Tempest_Richie

[4]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    [This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
    redundant message - AM
    Edited on 07/16/2006 3:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Angus_Mac

[5]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 71
    I think it was in the graphic novels that the creator called them persocomms instead of robots because he didn't want them necessarily to follow the Three Laws of Robotics.

_lexicona_

[6]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 8
    In the manga, Freya explained to Hideki that Chi could never fully giver herself to him, because it would restart her and erase her memories. That wa sthe thing she could never do, fully become his. Hence, "If that happens, I will have to say goodbye.."

rukichu

[7]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    I think it was in the graphic novels that the creator called them persocomms instead of robots because he didn't want them necessarily to follow the Three Laws of Robotics.

If Persocoms followed the three laws, that would be cool beyond all reason. D: The whole series has many themes that remind me of different works and short stories of Asimov's. He'd like to try to bend the line between robot and human a lot in many short stories, with robots replacing humans and their flaws making them more human-- sound familiar?

That and when Yumi [the persocom, not the girl who works at My Pleasure] saved her "husband" from the truck, that definatly screamed first law over there. It would make sense if the Persocoms followed the three laws, or something similar... however it would ruin the "magic" of her saving him, you know?

Anyway, I think Angus_Mac has said anything that's needed to be said on this subject. Persocoms can get damaged, it's easier for them to forget, blah blah.

cw00wlman

[8]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 2
    is there going to be an other season of chobits? i hope there is going to be

bulletsword

[9]Aug 22, 2006
    cw00wlman wrote:

i'm hoping for the same thing

Tamir21

[10]Nov 5, 2006

I doubt it really as where would you go with it? There weren't really any lose ends.

TVGUY2007

[11]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 10
    Tamir21 wrote:

I doubt it really as where would you go with it? There weren't really any lose ends.

As much as I want a new season its been gone for a while and does look like anyones picking this show up and making new episodes you can make episodes in your head like I do thats what im doing for teen titans lol (im a loser).
    Edited on 01/03/2008 10:12pm

Kemicle

[12]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 11

cw00wlman wrote:

Not gonna happen. Chobits ended as did the manga, there's not a lot it could go from here.