Chopped

Tuesday 10:00 PM on Food Network Premiered Jan 13, 2009 In Season

AngieJane

Chopped Fan Reviews (162)

• too much bias in show

after watching the ultimate chop show and some woman who never did go to culinary school beat out a chef with VASTLY higher experience I really feel this show is rigged and bias. To be be fair I think the judges should NOT KNOW who cooked what but each dish has just a number. And given a rating. Base on that it's even possible to have a tie as well. To decide that its one more cook off or double prize. Another peeve is that ech contestant does not have the full opportunity to utilize the kitchen. The Ice Cream machine comes to mind - first come first the pun. Each contestant should have use of a fully operational kitchen segregated from each other. They do not have to say 'behind' to anyone as they are fully isolated from each other. Everyone has a ice cream machine, blast chiller, refrig and you get the message.
  • Need too dethrone the Queen

Time too replace chef Alex as a judge!!! She's too picky and if u disagree with her opinion's you get the common eye roll or blank stare from her. Plus she takes obvious offence if you don't like the guest chef she likes. Gawd almighty already please stop letting all the sob stories and rule breakers win all the time. It's a cooking competition , not a who's the best whiner too the judges competition.
  • dispointed!

I used to love the show... but not anymore!

let's be realistic for a second: the best chefs don't win anymore

the winners are almost always the people with a sad personnal story...

my tip for future contestant: stop believing that's it's a cooking contest, it's NOT!

it's a tv show!!!

if you don't have a sad or difficult past, invent yourselves one! put yourselves in the position of the TV viewers and try to come-up with a story that would make the viewers go like: "wow, poor guy, I'd really want him to win, he deserves it so much"
  • The show is an unprofession view.

I can't wait to view critics remarks, the judges are so arrogant, they either have their nose up to the ceiling or they smell their own mess. African American's don't have a fair chance on the show. Chefs Collide was the most critical show, this show is so obvious I have cancel all records and I don't watch it anymore. Alex so stuck up, Geoffrey that arrogant sob should have been at home soaking up retirement and Sanchez, not any of them should be judges because there head is so big for thinking they are the only cooks in the world and Alex always messing up because the nose to far in the air. I don't even know why African- Americans let them fool them to be on the show, they are destine to loose only or two has won. I bet that killed the judges because they must let someone black win. I have stopped watching the show it is to obvisious how much prejudice is on there.
  • I'm a cooking show fan, so it's a good show.

Chopped is a show about four chefs who compete for 10,000 dollars. Three judges critique on there work each round. As each round passes, a chef is eliminated until there is only one left standing. I like how they use the term: "Chopped" to be rid of the losing chefs. Ted Allen is a good host for this show, they chose a nice one for it. I'm already a Food Network fan, so I happen to watch the channel a lot. I like this show alot, and the judges, can be a tinsy bit too strict at times, but that's what judges are for, right? :D "Chopped" Is a good show, and it's a nice little period of time you should definatly watch when you get the chance.
  • The Unused Ingredient

One of my greatest pet peeves for this show is when a contestant doesn't use all the mystery ingredients and still wins the round. The justification is that their dish was so much better than their opponent's that it overcame this misstep, but we don't know what would have happened in the counterfactual universe where the opponent also only had to use 3 or less ingredients. It might have been even more amazing. I would like to propose a solution to this problem. Whenever a contestant doesn't use an ingredient, it should be placed right on top of their dish as an untransformed ingredient. That way the judges could still get a sense of whether or not the ingredient might have worked in the dish, and it would also affect the plating, which I think is completely ignored when an ingredient is left out. I have a couple more minor comments as well. I really wish the show used a blind taste-test as they do on Beat Bobby Flay. I often feel as though judgments are made about the character of the chefs rather than their culinary abilities. Even if that's not true, as an audience member I would still find it more satisfying. Finally, I feel like the show tries too hard to create suspense when someone is about to get chopped with the side effect that some dishes are probably presented as more worthwhile than they really are . they are falsely shown to be as good as their competitor's). What this does is lead to a sense of injustice on the part of the audience member, because when the judges act like the dishes are really close in quality, the audience gets a sense that they can tell which is better, and then is disappointed with the judgments. If a dish sucks, don't pretend like it's got a lot of merit, it just makes the audience mistrust the judges.
  • Disgusting sweat !!!

I love this show, I learn from it. BUT, I find so disgusting that some chefs are sweating and dripping their sweat right on the plates while preparing them. If the judges critique lack of salt on some dishes, some of them end up with a whole lot more like sweat salt. Why are the women's hair not tied back, and men not wearing chef hats or something on their forehead to catch all those drips.
  • "An Egg Up"

I'm probably never watching this show again. It was easy to determine from the comments of the judges who should be cut in the first two rounds. In the finale the basically said this George guy did not perform at 100 percent but it was good . The other guy, Jeremy was tasteless. Someone needs to review the final comments and see how Jeremy won. I don't know any of the contestants, but if you see this episode you would think that the Green Police stepped in and forced the judges to pick a healthy chef. This show sucked... If Guy Fieri had been on this show as a contestant he would have lost for not being healthy enough with Mitch too Mitch flavor. I believe the only way this show can ever be fair is for a blind fast test and a number rating before the judges can critique the dish. If I tell the judges I'm going to use the prize money to put my blind daughter in a special school to win. Other is only one way my opinion can count, and that'that's to never watch again.

• this isnt "Who has the biggest sob story"

ok PLEASE SHUT UP AND COOK

I really dont care if your hubby is laid off

if you were a stripper

if your mom is a lush

SHUT UP AND COOK

"Why are you here" they are there for $10K THATS WHY!!!!!!!!!

its utterly IGNORANT to sit there and chop a chef that actually CAN one that admits they are self taught and have lost 2-3 resturants

trying to force feed us "human interest" and let them just COOK

I really dont CARE about their hard lives or their losses

in short?

SHUT UP AND COOK
  • Aussie baskets show

I think the judges need to go back To school as the voted off the older guy who over cooked the beef where the younger guy served raw beef and as far as safety, health issue the one who served raw beef should have gone home as raw beef can cause server health issues. If I served raw beef and health dept found out I be out of work while over cooked I may have to cook a new steak but it would not be a health issue I guess they love raw meat
  • Equal Playing Field for Contestants - Basic Equipment and Ingredients

I love the show but get frustrated when a contestant is unable to complete their preferred dish because there are not enough basic ingredients or equipment. A few suggestions:

Have enough basic ingredients. In one show a contestant was unable to make the desert they wanted because there were no more eggs. No more eggs?A contestant shouldn't lose because there are not enough essential ingredients.

Have enough equipment - On one show both contestants wanted to make ice cream but there was only one machine so the contestant had to try something else. A contestant shouldn't lose becasue there aren't two ice cream machines. Let the best ice cream win.

Have better ovens and preheat them-On many shows contestants lost or had to put things on a pan because the oven wasn't hot enough. How about preheating the ovens to at least 350 or 400 before the show starts and get stoves that have a convection feature. The best food should win. Contestants shouldn't lose because the ovens aren't hot enough.

That's my two cents. I love the show and the time pressure which makes it fun. If you can give the contestants better tools to compete I think it would be even better. Thanks.
  • Just needs a little crunch.

Most frequently heard judges critiques: 1. Item needs more salt. 2. Dish needs just a little crunch. 3. The dessert is too sweet (isn't 'sweet' the main draw of a dessert?). 4. The dish needs acid. 5. The basket items weren't transformed (yet they shouldn't be transformed TOO much). 6. The shrimp wasn't cleaned properly. These overused responses are too predictable and boring. I really feel they need new blood as far as the core group of judges go, in order to keep it fresh.
  • Judges are Extremely Bias

My family and I all love the show chopped. What we have been noticing, however, is that the judges are very biased. On the regular chopped episodes, the judges are extremely critical of every detail. On "Chopped All Stars" the judges applaud how amazing each of the star chefs' dishes are. One I recently saw, two of the final chefs competing in the episode "Chef All Stars: Iron Chef America" drank from the rum bottle, then directly poured the rum into their dishes. The judges did not make any comment on this happening and my mouth dropped. I can remember multiple regular chopped episodes where chefs were chopped simply because of using a beverage ingredient in a dish after drinking from the bottle. I hope that this is seen by someone in food network because it is unfair to chefs who simply don't have a TV show to be chopped while these food network stars get to slide by these casualties.
  • Chopped

4.5
    Has there ever been an African American win ever?
  • goodbye chopped!!!

I think chopped is a ripoff... i faithfully watched every single episode ignoring what I was seeing... favoritism and racism... no more!!!
  • General Comment

I have been an avid chopped viewer since season one. I am extremely unhappy with the fact that you say, in the beginning of each show, that you must use everything in your basket and then when people don't, sometimes you let them move through to the next round. This is incredibly wrong. Must means MUST,no matter if someone is a better chef or not they MUST use all of the ingredients. I will soon be discontinuing watching your show if this policy continues. You are entirely inconsistent when it comes to this matter.
  • All the ingredents

One of the rules is that all the ingredents have to be used in so way. Why is it that a chef that uses all their ingredents is chopped when another chef forgets one. I don't think that is right. Go by the rules.
  • Winners

2.5
    I am so sick of there being a lack of minority winners. Please pick a variety of all colors and not just Caucasian, time after time I saw deserving BLACK OR HISPANIC WINNERS go by the way side. If this continues I won't watch the show any more. Merry Christmas!!!
  • Annoyed

I think the judges need to keep their mouths shut while the chefs cook, cause how do they expect them to concentrate on their dish. I guess they dont worry about bringing someones self esteem down. Some of their comments are really rude. I do not care for Alex, Marc, the bald guy or the other foreign judge!!!
  • Racist!!

They always keep one black person until the final round and then find a dumb excuse to eliminate them.
  • Ghost Chile Entre

Judges get off your high horses and grow some backbones. If you can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen literally. What kind of a chef or judge compares hot chiles to shards of glass? You guys actually chopped her for putting pieces of ghost chile in her stir fry which actually was one of the four ingredients? And the irony is you kept the one who failed to get all the ingredients on the plates TWICE. The ghost chile is here to stay, what are you guys, chickens?

Did you even stop to think that a judge or judges going into an extreme hot chile induced HOT OUT will shoot your ratings through the roof? WTH is wrong with you guys, man? Toughen up!

These judges either need to get used to it or move aside and let more cultured judges do a fair job... chickens. ..lol.
  • Choppism

This is one of the most "racism by omission" against African Americans show I've seen yet. The judges consistently allow blacks to compete and win until a black contestant gets to the final two, at this point an African American can clearly be winning on every category and its at this point that at least one judge, predominantly a white female trashes the black contestant. The rest is history, pure and blatant racism which is totally unacceptable and needs to be addressed. I believe in fairness not color. Clean it up now!
  • I hate this show

Why is it that no matter how depressing or horrible their life story is, the coloured never win this show? Yet the whites could be competing for something such as a chance to open their restaurant and they make it to chopped superstars? This show is so extremely biased and overrated, it's absurd. Why does anyone even watch this show, retire it already Jesus Christ.
  • ULTIMATE CHOPPED BIASED & RIGGED - WILL NEVER WATCH AGAIN!

THE RECENT ULTIMATE CHOPPED WHERE THE JUDGES SELECTED AN AMATEUR, SINGLE-MOM, ETHNICALLY DIVERSE OVER A WHITE MAIL PROFESSIONAL CHEF SMACKED OF BIAS AND FELT ENTIRELY RIGGED. I WILL NEVER WATCH AGAIN UNLESS THE SHOW CHANGES TO A "BLIND" FORMAT WHERE THE CHEF WHO COOKED EACH DISH IS NOT KNOWN.
  • So what happened to the judges comments!!

Why are they messing with a great format!! We really miss hearing the judges deliberations!!
  • African American and Bi-Racial discrimination

I also agree that African Americans are critiqued very hard on this show and all of the Food Network Channels. I have seen episodes where other minorities miss ingredients and miss use ingredients and still move on to the next round. I feel that African Americans and Bi-racial contestants are given no leniency , I am also sure that there are more Cooks and chefs of African American minority wither Bi-Racial or not that are skilled chefs that deserve to be on the show. Besides it being complex enough to become a Black person or a person mixed thereof it is exceptionally hard for the women that falls into theses categories as well. I feel that this is a misrepresentation of cooking and a downfall upon today's reflected society. In addition Indian judges no matter the complexion are not African American Judges since I understand that color is so important to culture here. If you want culture and freedom and fairness it truly has to be embraced and not half done. Make it fair, showcase, and let win and not overly critique and drain the ones who are African American or Mixed with it. Such a disappointment. It makes the network look like a bunch of racist pricks.
  • why are you so Racism

I watch your show all the time but one thing need to understand why man always win's in this show? I watch a lot of them and thought that the woman should win. I wish to understand why the woman does not win in this show. I see white man win and some black not win, I don't care for racist at all. I watch the food network all the time and to me some of the people that win should not of won at all. I've seen so many African Americans get chopped and they were great through out the entire show. I'm so made right now. I hope that show goes off. Bunch of ass holes. I have watch on Thursdays Bobby and there is no way in hell you could win every time no way. those show are fault and something needs to be done. we love guy so far he has woman wining on his show and
  • Racist? Really?

I'd like to remind those of you who believe chopped never lets anyone other than Caucasian chefs win... I'd like to remind you of Madison Cowan. Stop and think to yourself "Oh yeah, I forgot about Not only was he the FIRST grand champion, but he was also black. The second Chopped champion, Danielle Saunders. African American. OOOOOOOH, but they surely wouldn't let another minority into their club of winners, right? Wrong, Third Champion, Jun Tanaka. Asian ethnicity .

Now dry your eyes and stop playing the race card. I've seen Caucasian chefs who have been "screwed" out of their titles. Race makes absolutely no difference in this, it's simply due to the fact that their food was sub-par compared to other competitors. Are the judges jerks? Yeah, they are. You obviously have never worked in a professional kitchen if you think that's not normal.
  • He wouldn't have liked Julia Child !

Judge Zakarian has no right to sit on the panel ! His obvious dislike of the English female chef on last night's show, was sickening to watch. His comments about her talking and messiness were completely unprofessional and made me very angry. A very small minded man . I hope he is replaced ! He wouldn't have like Julia Child !!!
  • Chris Santos

I LOVE watching chopped BUT can not stand Mr. Arrogance himself Chris Santos , ugh I loathe when he's a judge it ruins the whole show. He's an asshole point blank to the point pompous asshole and I wish he'd leave the show! I absolutely can't stand him! Sit up for Christ sakes! Stop slouching and stop acting like you're holier than thou ! It's as though you get your jollies from being condescending and rude to the competitors!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6