Strike Back: Origins

Sky1 (ended 2010)

Strike Back: Origins Fan Reviews (4)

• I gave it a 4 because it had decent action. But it was also unrealistic.

In the first part of the first show he's looking through his scope and recognizes a high ranking guy on his wanted list. And he doesn't take the shot. Meanwhile an open-top truck rolls in and deposits enemies right under him in clear sight and he doesn't take the shot. A kid kills his friends because he didn't take that shot, and the most believable part! Absolutely crap! I can't watch such sloppy military action. The kid was a mistake that can and does happen. But the other times he didn't take a shot? No way. Then there's all kinds of emotional drama with personal relationships. More crap. Just decide if you are making an action show or a drama for Pete's sake. And soul searching? Just leave out the action and label it drama already! I decided to not watch any more. Mixed genre's might be some kind of deep art, but they are not entertaining.
  • Pretty poor all round, I found myself shouting at the telly again and again, such a shame as the book was fantastic.

I couldnt bring myself to watch the second episode of this series as the first was so shocking (although i did record it). Being a bit of a militery buff I have enjoyed chris ryans books as you have the sense that he knows what he is talking about. The first episode failed to put down the markers that are required for the twists in the plot that we have in the book, The attention to detail from Sky has been shocking from the use of helicopters that are not in british use to the tactics of the team taking the "strong house", four guys storming a building full of an uknown amount of hostiles, where were the 4 chinooks full of para's, the apache's or the predator drone? was Chris Ryan anywhere near the production team? was any informed indavidual there? Its such a shame to see what was a fantastic book so poorly cobbled together by sky......I mean come on guys, the "a" team getting briefed in basra and porter the "b" not being allowed to sit in....who thought that should be included? find them and shoot them.

The thing that really got me was the lack of sense of guilt that porter was feeling after the botched op, its a thread which winds through the book but in the series appears to be replaced by the after thought of "oh well porter it went wrong and your out", it doesnt fit into the plot...nor make any real sense.

Dont even get me started on the "honey trap sargent".....
  • Great fun. Well done Sky!

The book is poor and only warranted a grudging 3 stars from Amazon reviewers. Sky have turned it into something better. In the first double episode, the story-line has been tightened up and silly moments have been ironed out. It was fast-paced, exciting and finished on a good plot twist. I'm hoping that the following episodes will be even better once Mercurio is responsible for the ideas and the script. Richard Armitage as the tough/tender hero was the perfect choice for the role of John Porter while Andrew Lincoln and Orla Brady gave him excellent support. I believe there was a lot of input from Chris Ryan and other SAS soldiers and Sky have done their best to get it right, although there will always be nerdy nit-pickers who examine the details with a microscope and seem unable to just sit back and enjoy the show.

I shall be watching the rest of the series, buying the DVD to lend to friends who don't have Sky and really hoping that Sky will make some more John Porter stories.
  • Great fun. Well done Sky!