Christy Forums

CBS (ended 1995)

Was this based on true events

Sugar2U

[1]May 30, 2007
    • level: 9
      I loved this show so much...I am rewatching and wish it ended properly   I still feel kinda bad that we had to see the Doc and Christy change actors  or rather Chrisy was changed at least it was the same actore for Mcneal...Was this a true story? or at least based on a true story  I know it was a book first but cant remember if it was a memoir or not..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Peggy_Porcupine

[2]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 13

The book, "Christy" was based on the story of Christy, mother to the late Catherine Marshall. Catherine wrote the book of her mother's adventures in her youth. Some of the characters (like the doctor) are fictional. In a writing Mrs. Marshall said that the doctor was a combination of 2 people she met. In the book it looked like the doctor 'won' but, in reality, Christy married the minister.

Further on this 'historical fiction' was the book Julie, again written by Catherine Marshall. Both are wonderful books. I had the privilege of receiving a letter from Mrs. Marshall and it is in my box of souvineers!

Hope this answers some of your questions. I never did see the 3 movies - wasn't carried here in Canada - so hope to one day purchase the DVD's.

Peggy Bendell

aka

Peggy from Porcupine

http://www.mannagold.com

marklowry_fan

[3]Nov 25, 2007
    • level: 1
    Well that's disappointing! I was hoping that she really did marry the doctor!

FourOfFive

[4]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    I'm glad that Christy married the David. I liked him a lot better then Dr. Mcneil.