Chuck

Chuck Versus First Class

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 25, 2010 on NBC

• Something didn't sit right with this episode.

I've loved how the third season has maintained the awesomeness of the second, with hilarious gags, espionage mystery and family drama combined in the perfect cocktail. But for some reason, 'First Class' didn't gel quite the same.

Maybe it was the uninspired spy-plot, with Chuck assigned on his first solo mission to take down a friggin' wrestler. Although agent Shaw did grow on me in this episode, pushing Chuck to be the spy we know he can be, while showing his soft side with his late wife's story. But as Chuck said, he didn't even get to use his nun-chucks! And could this be the first episode Sarah didn't get in a fight?

Maybe it was the lazy Buy More-plot, as Morgan recruits Casey to stop his team sabotaging him as the new assistant manager. I did love that Casey used NSA equipment to brainwash Lester into helping Morgan, with the 'red eye' reminiscent of the Cylon eye. But Lester's smarminess and Jeff's idiocy can get wearing at times.

The one bright spot was Kristin Kreuk. I was unsure, given my bad history with her as the whiny, disbelieving Lana on Smallville, whether she could pull off the smart and sophisticated Hannah, but she does with aplomb. She's a little too beautiful to believe as an IT expert, but at least Chuck has a new romantic interest to make him act on his feelings for Sarah.

I am looking forward to both Chuck and Sarah having competing romantic interests for the rest of the season, and as long as the writers don't have some hokey twist where they reveal Hannah as a Ring operative (I hope they exhausted that option with Jill as a Fulcrum agent), I'm looking forward to seeing Chuck dial down the spy-show for a while and let Sarah handle the kick-assery.