Chuck

Chuck Versus the Beard

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 08, 2010 on NBC

• Chuck vs Zachary Levi

This episode basically had everything. I can't really think of what could have been added to make 'Vs. the Beard' any better, looking at what it needed to do for the plot, how it used it's characters, and where it fits in the overall storyline of the season right now. Zachary Levi directs this episode, and to my amazement, hands us arguably Chuck's best episode since 'Vs. the Santa Claus'. They really fired on all cylinders here.

Last week The Ring targeted Shaw, so it was a nice twist to see that targeting Devon and Ellie was only a diversion to get the agents away from the Buy More. The Buy More material was some of my favorite yet, with Ring agents in disguise as potential buyers, and all the employees up in arms over loosing their jobs. Getting both Chuck and Big Mike a lot of playtime with the Buy More shenanigans was very welcome (Iwo Jima!)- even 'Jeffster' rocked out in their glorious return (Fortunate son!)

But the meat of the episode lied in Morgan finally discovering Chuck's secret, and I pretty much enjoyed this every step of the way. Morgan has become a sweet character to me, and everything from Chuck insisting he was the best man for the assistant manager job, to Morgan consoling one of the deeper parts of Chuck's secret (his very real love for Sarah), I think the relationship between these best friends hit all the right notes. I'm pleased that Morgan is thrilled his best friend is a spy, juxtaposed with Devon continuing to spiral out of control- it's a great look at two different effects this secret is baring on Chuck's friends.

Sprinkle in some great Casey moments, (The only thing I hate more than hippie, neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they eventually grow up to become), limited use of Brandon Routh, and an intriguing cliffhanger, and what more does a chuck fan need? Well, done Levi.