Chuck

Chuck Versus the Best Friend

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 23, 2009 on NBC

• Huh

When Anna's new boyfriend turns out to be connected to the Triads, Chuck is ordered to spy on him by becoming his friend, thereby endangering his friendship with Morgan.

Meanwhile Jeff and Lester want to perform at Ellie and Devon's wedding with their band called "Jeffster!" This was very dissapointing from the title you would think this would be a great episode but very dissapointing, I dont even think I laughed once here and this was basicallly a filler epiosde of the season nothing happened at all oh well what goes up must come down. sorry but 8 out of 10
  • Fantastic episode. Best yet.

This is easily one of the best episodes of Chuck to date. I love how they always have a theme that they apply to all of the characters/relationships in the show. In this episode we see Chuck and Morgan's trust relationship juxtaposed with Lester/Jeff and Ellie/Awesome.

Casey's character shows some more depth. They continue to develop the deeper relationship between Chuck and Sarah. Chuck saves the day again with some quick thinking. Morgan grows up a bit. This show stays so fresh and so fun. Great acting, great suspense, great action. Chuck is one of my favorite shows on TV.
  • Basic Chuck episode with one really good scene.

Morgan's girl Anna is now seeing a new man! Linked to Asian Triads, Chuck must pretend to befriend the couple at the disgust of his best friend. When you strip everything away, this is still just your basic Chuck episode, following the basic Chuck formula. (More flashes than usual today). The best scene of the show (and possibly the series) is where Chuck basically tears down his best friend as horribly as he can in order to save his life. This really tugged at my emotions, and I was hoping they would really get some life out of that conflict. Unfortunately it was dismissed kinda quick, as Morgan forgives Chuck rather easily.
  • This is one of the best episodes of the series yet.

I think that this episode of Chuck was on the best ones so far. The writing, in addition to the acting was superb. I loved the storyline. The theme throughout the whole episode "Best Friends" and the main storyline and the sub-story lines followed suit. It was very believable that Chuck and Morgan are best friends. The same for Jeff and Lester, Awesome and Ellie, Chuck and Sarah and Morgan and Anna. The showed explored every relationship. There was face time for all the characters. This episode just clicked. I especially loved the ending, where all the cast was brought to the same place and the ends were all tied up. Sarah apologized to Chuck and explained why she acted the way she did earlier. How she hadn't anyone that really cared about her. Chuck told her that it wasn't true. Right then they are believable as just friends, people that generally care about each other. Yet the way the episode faded to black we can see that they both want something more. Most episodes of Chuck very, very good, but I think this was one was excellent. Just more evidence that this show needs to continue as long as it can offer such quality television.
  • Friends.

Morgan needs Chucks help to spy on Anna when he discovers she has a new boyfriend, along with Jeff and Lester they follow Anna to her rendezvous where Chuck flashes on Anna's new boyfriend who turns out to be connected to a Triad organization, when Casey and Sara find out he is ordered to spy on Anna's new boyfriend and thus put his friendship with Morgan on thin ice.

Whilst Chuck is out saving the world and his friendship Lester and Jeff want to perform at Ellie and Capt Awesome wedding, Jeff wants to make it big but Lester is worried it will split the band and there friendship.

All in all another great fun packed episode, glad Morgan and Anna got back together and wouldn't it be great is Jeffster did play at Ellie and Devons wedding.
  • It was awesome... :))) 'Chuck' is the best... And this episode was one of the most entertaing episode...

All characters at 'Chuck' are very successful and creating the enjoy. I like all of them... Zach Levi, Yvonne Strahovski, Adam Baldwin, Joshua Gomez, Scott Krinsky and Vik Sahay... They are so funny. :)) And special words for Yvonne Strahovski, Agent Sarah Walker... She is always beautiful, brillant, gorgeous... even she took a beating :)))

And it was the best quote of the episode:
    General: "Now, If you excuse me, I am late for my evening plans.
    Chuck: If you don't mind me asking what exactly is your version of evening plans?

muhahahaha... you are real awesome!!!
  • Another great episode of Chuck which focuses on the nature of friendship.

There were many heartwarming moments throughout the episode which I enjoyed more than the previous two. When Chuck told Sarah about how Morgan was there for him when they were kids it was a wonderful speech. We learnt a lot more about their childhoods and how Morgan helped him get over his mother leaving and whatever it was that happened to his dad. Morgan wasn't just a bit of comic relief here and that was great to see. Likewise, seeing how much sarah cared when she thought he was blown up in the car was equally moving. I loved it.
  • Chuck and Morgan's friendship is tested...

Chuck was recruited by Morgan, Jeff and Lester to help spy on Anna. After Chuck flashed on the car owned by Anna's new boyfriend, Beckman ordered him to get friendly with the new couple. Chuck was there on hand to save Morgan's Life after he got into partially dangerous situation with some Triad gangsters after they thought he was a spy. Chuck was always willing to do anything to protect his friend here. We saw Yvonne (Sarah) really sell herself as she thought Chuck got blown up, we all know that Sarah as feelings for our boy, Chuck. Sarah's fight scene was also awesome, turned into one of the most unique fights the show has produced yet. Elsewhere Jeff and Lester tried to talk Awesome/Ellie into playing their band at their wedding. 'Jeffster' Ellie wasn't into the Idea; the pair got their 5 minutes of fame with rendition of 'Toto' by Africa.
  • Chuck is forced to befriend Anna's new boyfriend in order to stop an assasination of the chinese ambassador by the Triads, putting his friendship with Morgan in jeopardy. Jeff and Lester also try to get their first gig as "Jeffster" from Devon and Ellie.

One of the greats. We finally learn the origins of Chuck and Morgan's deep friendship. It's revealed that after Chuck's mom left, Morgan was there to help him through it, and again when Chuck's father left. Throughout the episode we see Chuck struggling between staying on mission, which means betraying Morgan, and his intense feelings of loyalty to his friend. A difficult moment in the episode was when Chuck was forced to humiliate Morgan in order to save his life. On the up side, there are some amazing action sequences in which Sarah has an all-out brawl with "Smooth" Lau in a car. Also, not to be forgotten is the scene where Casey jumps on the roof of a nerd herder car in pursuit of Chuck. Possably the best moment in the entire episode happens when the nerd herder blows up and everyone believes Chuck with it. Yvonne Strahovski did a simply amazing reaction shot, revealing Sarah's deeply hidden emotions towards Chuck. In more of a lighter and hilarious note, "Jeffster" closes out the show with a redition of "Africa". The final shot is another touching moment between Chuck and Sarah where she confesses the she doesn't have any friendships like Chuck's and Morgan's. Chuck looks at her intently and responds "Ya, you do" and its revealed they're holding hands. All in all this spisode contained everything you could possaby want in a Chuck episode. Jokes, Action, Friendship, Creepy Jeff, Self-Deprecating Lester, and of course the latest chapter in the ongoing romantic saga that is Chuck and Sarah.
  • A touching episode.

I don't feel that this episode was a good as some previous episodes yet, there were some moments in that really made me catch a lump in my throat.
    When Chuck ran off with the bomb from the Chinese ambassador's car and got in the Herder I think it was pretty obvious to the audience that Chuck would use the cars radio control device. But Sarah did not know this. She saw that Herder drive off and explode and assumed Chuck was in there, she burst into tears thinking he was dead and this was a pretty emotional scene yet it only lasted a few seconds because Chuck popped out from no where and you could see the relief on her face and Chuck's surprise to her display, she is deeply in love with Chuck and this scene was just amazing. Yvonne Strahovski is a very good actress.
    The other scene I really liked was at the end when Sarah said that she had no one to care about the way Chuck and Morgan cared about each other, and of course Chuck said he cared about her.
    The action in this episode was top notch. Sarah fighting with the Triad leader and Casey jumping on top of the Herder whilst Chuck sped off were my highlights :D
    I think the reason I down rated this episode from others was because I didn't feel the side story of Jeff and Lester from the Buy More cemented with the main story as much a usual. Also where was Big Mike? This is surely becuase the network shifted around the original episode order :x
  • Chuck and Sarah are sent to meet Anna's new boyfriend who is working with the Chinese Triad. Morgan is spying on Anna with said new boyfriend and thinks Chuck is a traitor. Jeff and Lester audition there music group for Ellie and Awesome.

I enjoyed the episode as a whole but must admit it hit me a little as lukewarm. I am going to have to go back and watch it again a few times.

The Chinese Triad mission was a little bland for some reason. I think maybe the fact there were four major/minor plot lines going on was the reason for this. Wondering what I am counting as plot lines? 1) Chuck/Morgan/Anna 2) Jeffster Wedding audition 3) Chinese Triad mission 4) Chuck/Sarah disagreements and trust issues between Chuck and Sarah/Casey.

The Chuck/Morgan piece was a little uneven. It was funny in the beginning with the "spying" on Anna with all the boys from Buy More then it seemed to fall a little flat when Morgan became a real stalker later on. Chuck's reactions were almost too extreme and sometimes he is a little spastic for everything he has been through. You would think he would have a little more trust in Sarah and Casey by now. Morgan's final reaction that he was at fault for the problems was a revelation, but we have had those revelations from him before. It's Morgan being Morgan. I do like the dynamic between Chuck and Morgan a great deal though.

The Jeffster piece was cute and a nice secondary plot. The only problem was there were a few secondary plots in this episode besides the main Chinese Triad piece. I think the episode just had a little too much going on.

The Chinese Triad mission was a little underwhelming as it just was sort of a throw in to support the other action. It gives Chuck a reason to look like he is a traitor to Morgan.

The trust issues is a standard weekly part of the show. It is understandable that he would feel this somewhat, but it may be getting a little old.

I like the piece they threw in at the end about Sarah having someone who cares about her as much as Chuck does for Morgan. That could be a major step in their relationship as actually caring for someones well being mentally and physically is a strong sentiment.

Lastly how many times will Sarah think Chuck is dead before she finally tells him how she feels. No matter who you are or what you do that has to be a shock to the system. You could tell she and Casey were both upset and it wasn't because Chuck is the Intersect in my opinion. He is now their friend, coworker, and companion in their many missions.

Thanks for reading...
  • A breath of fresh air, and a show of incredible heart.

This was a fantastic episode, if for no other reason than because it brought back a somewhat lost element of the show: the friendship between Chuck and Morgan.

Of late, the weakest point of this fantastic show is the bifurcation that's left between the two: Morgan is relegated to comic relief side-shows with Chuck's Nerd Herd gang, the only interaction with Chuck being a few words in passing as he goes off on that week's spy mission. This cuts out a huge part of Chuck's life and makes the very idea of him being the Head Herder seem highly implausible.

Here we get to see the odd but surprisingly functional relationship between the two childhood friends and explore it, and that's a good thing.

The spy plot took a bit of a back seat in this one, which was more than fine with me, and it ends on a note which continues to pull our heartstrings on the undeniable love between Sarah in perfect fashion.
  • The bombs' scene blew it .

This was a good episode just that.I think it lacked a bit of action and excitement. There was some Chuck-Morgan storyline development as Chuck saves him once again.This episodes focused more on the secondary characters and not so much in Chuck-Sarah pseudo relationship which kind of sucked because it's one of the most important pieces of the show. What I really didn't like was the bomb scene.I think there was some confusion in that passage of the episode.After retrieving the bomb from the car Chuck gets in the car and suddenly appears behind everyone when the car explodes.I mean I don't get it ,how did he get out of car inmediatly without being seen by anyone ( when both Sarah and Casey were looking at the car all the time ) and suddenly appear behind both agents? , I think they made a mistake there. Appart from that is was ok but I expect more action in episodes to come.
  • Anna moves on from Morgan. Morgan is jealous and spies on her. And Chuck is in the middle as he flashes on the Triad.

First of all let me state that Chuck is one of the best shows on television. And almost every episode is a 10. There was a flaw in this episode though.

It started off kind of unusually slow for a Chuck episode. Normally I am sucked in right away all of the time, and I guess this show has me kind of spoiled. But as the episode went along, and I thought this might not even merit an 8 rating something happened. The episode kept getting better and better and better. Almost as if they knew they had some catching up to do to win a race or something.

There was a simply amazing cat fight between Sarah and a Triad member.

Chuck just sold the friendship between himself and Morgan and you really feel the friendship, love and brotherhood between them.

And than you see how Sarah has been desensitized to the act of friendship and love but she is slowly being pulled into Chuck's world more and more. There was a great pay off moment between her and Chuck at the end of this episode.

And even though at first I kind of didn't like the debut act of Jester. Just like this episode it kept growing on me. Until the final conclusion. Where just like Awesome said. They might not be good enough to make the team. But that doesn't mean you should kill the dream!

This episode if it had started off quicker would have been a perfect 10! But boy did they try to bring it home as it went along. By the end of it I almost didn't remember it starting off slow. Almost! But that is the curse of this fine show. The quality is so good that if it is even a smidgen off you notice. If this was another show it would have been a 10! I can't wait for the next one, just like always!
  • Chuck and Morgan's friendship episode

This was supposed to air before Chuck vs. the Suburbs but due to an emergency White House conference, it airs after that episode. As such, to those of you who are confused as to why there is no mention of the "Dark" Intersect or Big Mike dating Morgan's mother, there's a reason for it. The episode opens back in 1992, where a young Morgan is harrassing a girl who is the saved by best friend Chuck, who is weirdly kept in the shadows. Flash to present day, give or take some maturity levels and Morgan isn't with his break-up with Anna. His solution: have Chuck and crew help him spy on her. Sarah notes that Morgan is actually good at it. Hope the CIA and FBI don't want to recruit Morgan. One, Casey can't even handle Chuck, how would he live with Morgan? And how would Morgan adapt to being a spy when he's such a slacker? Morgan spots Anna's new boy toy and as Chuck's "luck" would have it, that same boyfriend is also affiliated with an Asian terrorist gang. In order to figure out what the mob is up to, Chuck is tasked to get close to Anna and boyfriend. Chuck is adament on not going behind his buddy's back. Sarah is the one who informs him that he has to do it. Casey is all for friendship bonds. Weird. Meanwhile, Ellie is extremely stressed over work and can't work on her marriage arrangements so she asks Awesome to do his part. Awesome diverts and asks Chuck for help finding a band because he has no clue who to pick and because he's lazy. This leads to the discovery that Lester and Jeff have a secret band called Jeffster! (How original.) Despite Chuck shooting them down, both think they have a shot at getting the gig. Chuck befriends Anna, awkwardly, since they haven't talked to each other much, and Chuck manuevers his way into a carshow, where the mob will be meeting. Sarah and Casey tag along, Sarah and Chuck posing as dates. Anna and Sarah interact more than they have before and Sarah admits she feels Anna is her friend. Anna is of course astonished. There is some Sarah and Anna talk where Anna discovers she still has feelings for Morgan and Sarah feels they were a perfect couple since Chuck and her are definitely not and she hasn't exactly seen any other stable relationship. Chuck fumbles his way through discovering the mob's plans but is saved by the clueless spyings of Morgan. However, the mob assumes Morgan was the one spying on them and go to kill him but Chuck saves Morgan by berating and insulting him in front of the mob and Anna and pretty much the whole car crowd. Ouch. However, Morgan isn't out of the clear as Mob finds Chuck's gadget and assumes it was Morgan's. Meanwhile, Jeff and Lester worm their way into auditioning for Ellie and Awesome but Lester chickens out and flees. I think Ellie will live. However, she chews Awesome out for skipping his duties. Chuck explains to Sarah the importance of Morgan's friendship. Turns out, even though Morgan is crazy, lazy, and childish, he has always been there for Chuck when he needed it. He was there when Chuck's mom left. He was there when Chuck's father went AWOL (although I have a heavily good feeling we will be seeing him this season.) Chuck tries to soothe things over with Morgan and it turnsout, Morgan was mostly upset over the fact Chuck had to bail him out again. He wants to fight his own battles. Not now, for the mob has found Morgan and Chuck forces him to the storage room. Morgan just thinks that they're security looking for payback (Morgan is too naive to think otherwise) an wants to fight them but Chuck manages to cleverly sneak some knockout spray in Morgan's mouth. Breathspray. Hilarious. Chuck pings Casey and Sarah and tries to sneak Morgan out but he flashes on the agents, where it's revealed they're planning on assassinating the Chinese minister with a bomb at a boat show. The mob finds and kidnaps Morgan. Chuck works to save his best friend and the minister. A hilarious car chase ensues, with Casey holding on the Nerd Herd car for dear life. He lets Chuck try to save Morgan too. Big of him. Meanwhile, Sarah gets in a good butt-kicking with Mob woman. That was long overdue. Chuck manages to save both Minister and Morgan. Problem solved. He takes Morgan back to Buy More and Morgan believes he fainted. Poor Morgan. Commander congratulates the team on a good job. Chuck asks her what she plans on doing now. Curiousity. She's going to meet Condelezza for some drinks. Hey, Condelezza needs to be doing something without Bush. And at least Commander isn't completely antisocial. Even Casey has friends. Awesome does his duties, Ellie happy, and they stop at Buy More so Lester and Jeff can hold another "audition". In comes a hilarious take on Toto's Africa. Classic. They're not playing at the wedding although given the admiring looks of some people, Lester and Jeff might be getting a few small gigs. Morgan forgives Chuck. Morgan fesses to his feelings for Anna and Anna takes him back. Sarah revealed why she didn't understand Chuck's Morgan devotion: in her life, she doesn't have a lot of close friends. Chuck informs her she has one with him. Aww. They hold hands at the end of the song. An excellent hilarious episode. It made me want Morgan to find out about Chuck but no luck. Maybe later. Or not. It would be cool either way. Meanwhile, Chuck's life is about to get more complicated in the coming weeks due to "Dark" Intersect.
  • Just a little bit too silly.

I don't know if this is the first one, but it's the first one in a long time that I really didn't care for as a whole. The inital concept I thought was interesting but I think it got lost in translation. To me the silliness was just too over the top. Then adding Jeff and Lester's attempt to get the job as the band for Ellie and Devon's wedding it just got stupid. I found the only bright spots were when Chuck explained his bond with Morgan to Sarah and Sarah explaining the she never had that and Chuck countering her statement.....