Chuck

Chuck Versus the Cat Squad

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 2011 on NBC

• Had its moments, but fell to a bad premise and poor execution.

After the recent top-notch episodes we've been given, I was disappointed with Chuck this week, ranging from that bland plot, pitiful guest cast, and an overall below average episode. Now I didn't HATE everything. I do like how the show is keeping with more of an easy-going feeling, and there were some funny and sweet moments, specifically Morgan and Alex, Ellie and Sarah, etc. And Carina is one smoking hot woman. But the rest was pretty much downhill.

Most of the problem was the CAT Squad. First off, that pedophile narrator? I have no clue where they were going with that, but it came off as awkward and unfunny. Second, I know this show will border along the lines of acceptable cliche, but how obvious was the traitor? Seriously? We're not complete idiots, and pretty much half the episode was waiting for someone to get it out and over with. Third, those two new CAT spies, all one-dimensional and plain, were just irritating, and they better not be a big deal in the future. Then there's Lou Diamond Philips. This show made a bigger deal of him than TIMOTHY DALTON in the preview, and for the most part, he pranced around a little bit on camera, got captured, and I spent the rest of the episode thanking God I don't have to deal with that again. Like Sarah, I can safely say I would've been better off without the CAT Squad in my life.

Other than that CAT rant, the plot was the usual been-there-done-that overseas adventure, which wasn't as tacky before it was way overused. And the easy-going episodes are great, but there needs to be moderation, and a little suspense thrown in there will keep me excited and wanting more. Overall, a passable episode and not much more than a prelude to Sarah reuniting her family and the wedding.