Chuck

Chuck Versus the Colonel

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 20, 2009 on NBC

• I need you to be ... AWESOME. Can you be AWESOME?

I've been reading a lot of online chatter that Chuck has next-to-no chance of renewal for a 3rd season. After watching this episode, I can't imagine why. Simply put this episode had exactly what you'd ask for from a spy comedy: a spy element and a comedy element.

You would have thought seeing Yvonne Strahovski in her knickers could not be topped, but what I found more memorable was the fight between Casey and Awesome and Chuck's ensuing admission of his real job to his soon-to-be brother-in-law. The shock on Awesome's face, followed by euphoria, was exactly the kind of reaction you would anticipate from someone like him. And it's about time someone caught on to all the weirdness surrounding Chuck's life. I'm glad it was someone like Awesome. If only there was a 3rd season, we could have plenty of comedy as Devon helps Chuck cover with his sister.

As for the spy element - so many awesome guest stars in this episode, and all had roles to play. Scott Bakula returns as Chuck's dad who fulfills his mission of getting the Intersect out of his son's head. Arnold Vosloo as the Fulcrum agent chasing Chuck. And Chevy Chase as the evil Ted Roark, who wants all Fulcrum agents to have the Intersect in his head. All culminating in the final destruction of the secret organisation that's plagued the CIA/FBI for two years.

All this will have interesting ramifications for next week's season finale, in which (supposedly) Bryce Larkin returns and Ellie and Awesome get married. Oh, and what will happen with Morgan now he's moving to Hawaii? A bit out of left-field, but at least he's got Anna's support.

Final note: loved Big Mike's homage to the Godfather.