Chuck

Chuck Versus the Dream Job

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 06, 2009 on NBC

• It all ties together - Jump the Shark?

SPOILERS BELOW - Read at own risk

When I was a kid, one of the things I most disliked was that the villain was always the same. Every time something bad happened, it was the fault of the same villain. In the old shows, the villain would escape at the end, to return next week with another scheme.

As I watched Chuck this week, I wondered if the show had jumped the shark. In one episode, the show changed. Originally, it was about Chuck, a shlub who mistakenly had a computer dumped into his brain and the resultant consequences.

Suddenly, the backstory takes on the air of conspiracy. Chuck's father invented the Intersect. Chuck's father is Orion. So it was not just Chuck the shlub who had the bad luck to get the Intersect, but Chuck the son of the inventor who had been underground for a decade.

Of course, we will learn next that the reason Chuck could withstand the Intersect while everyone else turned into a gibbering idiot (or died) is because the computer was structured in some way to work only with the Bartowski genetic code. The premise of the show required a certain suspension of disbelief. This show stretched the suspension to breaking.