Chuck

Chuck Versus the Ex

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 10, 2008 on NBC

• Chuck hooks up with his ex-girlfriend Jill from Stanford. What could possibly go wrong - or right??? Meanwhile, at the Buy More Captain Awesome teaches a CPR class after Big Mike chokes on a donut.

This has got to be the best episode of Chuck yet! It was heart-warming to be able to see Chuck be able to be "real" and reveal his identity to someone, and that someone being his ex-girlfriend. Geeks (me being one) always want to get the girl (especially certain ones) and this fulfills that secret desire. Plus, the reveal was cleverly written and the scene with the cops outside Jill's hotel room was classic. I like this direction, and it doesn't bother me one bit that they have ressurected the "will he or won't he" storyline of having two women. I can handle some realistic tension as long as it doesn't get all soap-opera wacky. I think the Chuck writer's are too smart to do that.

This episode is a must see!
  • another hilarious, Chuck relationship episode

It's Sarah's turn to be jealous. If Bryce's return upset Chuck in wondering about his chances for Sarah's love, this time, it's an ex of Chuck's that has the roles reversed. Even though Bryce has always seemed to be an extremely well-meaninged guy, at least towards Chuck, and has seemed to be nothing but a loyal friend to Chuck, always having Chuck's interests, he did one thing in Chuck's past that was unforgivable: he stole Chuck's girlfriend, Jill. In Season One, Chuck reveals that Bryce stole Jill from him after Bryce had him kicked out of college. Ouch. Possibly reeling from the news that Sarah and him are highly unlikely to be anywhere near romantic, Chuck wonders about Jill, and his feelings are still strong for her. In an ironic turn of events, he bumps into Jill during a work check-up at a convention and normally reserved Chuck turns into an awkward, scared coward. Unfortunately, he'll have to reconnect with Jill since she's involved with a shady guy who has developed a destructive biological weapon that in the wrong hands, could be destructive. There were plenty of awkward moments, as Sarah sees the woman that captured the hearts of two men she loved and loves. With Bryce, Jill is the woman before her, and with Chuck, she is his old lover returning while Sarah has no idea where her and Chuck's relationship is headed. Chuck pretends to be millionaire in order to impress Jill and have ger reveal information about her work and fumbles quite a bit, his plans hitting the floor when his fellow workers reveal he's just a working scab. Back at Buy More, after a serious, but comical, incident, the new Assissant Manager insists the crew learn CPR or else. Morgan and others want to cheat off Chuck but unfortunately, Chuck has to save the world when a bad guy releases the biological gas at a party, trapping everyone, including Casey, inside. Chuck is forced to reveal to Jill that he is a spy and to win bonus points that he's not a stalker creep. Bunch of complications happen with Jill's formula and Chuck has to think on his feet and develop his own not-so-bright ideas, including mouth-to-mouth curing with Casey. Poor Casey, he's not a man to take it. Fortunately Jill saves the day and she's beginning to have second thoughts about Chuck. They decide to give their relationship another chance, while Sarah watches, upset. Even though she knows Chuck and her will probably never happen, she still has feeling for him. Next week, it seems that Chuck might have to decide between Jill or Sarah. I can guess. . .but the decision is still worth watching. Expect a lot more laughter and drama.
  • A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Chuck runs into his ex-girlfriend Jill Roberts while on a Nerd Herd call. In an attempt to save face, he lies to the girl who broke his heart and tells her that he is more successful than he really is. When Chuck flashes on Jill's boss-a research scientist who may have developed a deadly bio-weapon, he, Sarah and Casey must find out if Jill is involved. Meanwhile at the Buy More, Big Mike nearly chokes to death, which leads company efficiency expert Emmett to implement a mandatory CPR course taught by Devon. I love this episode, it's awesome. I always love learning to know more about Chuck because he is so awesome. I love the scenes where he is back in 2003, where he is trying to talk to Jill through the window type thing. I love the Buy More scenes, awesome as always. I love the way Big Mike is choking and Emmett saves him, I thought it was hilarious. I also love the way Emmett wants Chuck fired. I love the scene where Chuck is hiding under the table, I love him so much, he is such a nerd.I love the way they are in this episode, the way everyone pretends to know Chuck as the rich dude, but then Jeff and Lester ruin the whole thing - hilarious. I love the way chuck is with Jill and sarah because he feels sorry for himself, but he changes his attitude so delicious with his spontaneous ways.I love the scenes with Captain Awesome at Buy More teaching them the health and safety and all that, hilarious all the scenes with the whole storyline, especially when Morgan, Jeff and Lester all want to sit next to Chuck. I love the scene where Chuck goes to see Jill and everything is fine again due to the fact that he is awesome, but then his dorky ways make him mess up though by bugging her phone. I love the scene where Casey is asking Jill questions. I love the way Chuck kisses Casey hilarious. Great episode.
  • The first really, really good episode of Chuck

The first really, really good episode of Chuck, I'm seriously falling for this show. It's the longing looks that get me, and there are plenty of them to go around here. _

Jill, the infamous girlfriend who shattered Chuck's confidence and stomped all over his strawberry tart, makes her debut and it's none other than Jordana Brewster (no wonder he had a hard time getting over her). They instantly rekindle what she took from him and Chuck's suave efforts to impress her offered up some hilarious gags (Casey in that wig? PRICELESS).

_

This was probably one of the funniest episodes yet. Chuck swapping Saliva with Casey, despite his best efforts to prevent such an ordeal, was hysterical. Adam Baldwin is a joy to watch and although Casey may not receive the best characterization; I somehow think it adds to the comedy value of his quips and offbeat humour. Even in the face of death he growls. _

Sarah's reactions throughout the episode really hooked me into this one. We know so much about Jill and to see Chuck sideline Sarah felt bittersweet – I was happy for Chuck, but sad for Sarah. Chuck has a shot of normalcy, but Sarah never had an opportunity of her own until she was assigned to protect Chuck.

_

It looks like Jill is sticking around meaning we're in for yet more longing stares and hopefully more hilarious Casey moments. Fantastic acting and comedic timing from all onboard, more please!
  • Ok

At a BioScience conference, Chuck runs into Jill, his ex-girlfriend who broke up with him and later dated Bryce Larkin. He flashes on her boss, Guy Lafleur, who is suspected to be working on biochemical weapons, so Chuck is ordered to reconnect with Jill in order to gain more information on Lafleur.

Meanwhile, Emmett wants the staff to take CPR lessons including a test.

Sorry for the laziness of this review. This episode was ok by Chucks standards it introduced us to Jill finally, wasnt a very funny episode and Chuck saved the day again I would like to see Chuck fail once in a while.
  • Chuck and Casey sitting in a tree. K.I.S.S.I.N.G!!!!!

As the title implies Chuck meets his old college sweetheart Jill at a science convention and immediately flash's on her boss who has developed some airborne virus, Chuck must now get close to Jill to find out what she knows about this virus, he pose's as a successful businessman who drives a Ferrari, dresses smart and is well known in a restaurant he has never visited before ( all set up by Casey and Sarah ). All is going great until Chuck and Jill go to leave and meet Lester and Jeff outside who inertly drop Chuck in it. After Jill's boss is murdered by a hit man Sarah and Casey decide to pose as scientists at the convention to catch the person who will let the virus go, when things go wrong Chuck needs to tell Jill the truth about him being a spy so he can get her help and rescue Casey from certain death.

Naturally we have an happy ending with the story developing between Chuck, Jill and Sarah.

Lots of hilarious moments in this episode, especially the Chuck and Casey kiss and Casey in disguise at the restaurant, the Buy More scenes didn't do it for me this week and I'm not sure this new store manager is working in my opinion.
  • Even though this was one of the weaker episodes of the season it still keeps you entertained from start to finish.

Bryce is the true villain of the series. He is the one that started Chuck off on his Buy More career. Originally they were trying to suggest that he did this for Chuck's own good. But after Chuck got kicked out of school he went above and beyond and stole Chuck's girlfriend. This episode was the first time he met his ex-girlfriend since the break-up and it's pretty clear that they had a lot of unresolved issues. Most of the episode was filled with what you expect from Chuck. He screws up, he fixes it, he screws up and he fixes it. The best scene in this episode was the restaurant scene. It was excellent acting by all the parties involved especially the Buy More associates. I was completely sold on the realism that put into the situation. It's a must see just for this scene alone.
  • When Chuck meets Jill, he pretended that he owns a small business ...but when Jill finds out that all he said were lies, Jill was disappointed with him... The story ends that he admit to Jill that he is a CIA agent for security purpose...

Very nice episode... We learn some Chuck and Jill's past... We learned what happened to Jill after Standford and this episode is the start of the Chuck and Jill comeback relationship... I was excited with this episode because I want to see how Sarah reacts when Chuck ex shows... We already know how Chuck reacts when Bryce returned... But as we can see, Chuck still loves Jill and his feeling with Sarah was not mined in this episode... I'm excited the ending of this love story.... Im excited with the coming 2 episodes because Jill is still in the story. Can't wait... Very good, funny, exciting and superb story...
  • Jill comes back into Chuck's Life

Jill, Chuck's college girlfriend makes an appearance. He bumps into her while fixing a computer at a convention. Jill is highly successful now with a doctorate in biochemistry, Jill's boss comes into the picture and he flashes on him who's involved with Bio-weapons, Chuck now has to get close to her to get some info. Chuck tells her how highly successful; he takes her to a fancy restaurant where they catch up on old times, when leaving he gets caught out by Lester and Jeff who tell her he still works in the Buy More.

Casey and many others are trapped inside a hotel where fatal bio weapon had been unleashed, Chuck has to save the day but needs Jill's help so he tells her he is a CIA agent and the Buy More job was part of his cover. His attempts to save the way led to some very funny situations where he had to use saliva to process the cure Jill had put within him, and kissed Casey. It's going to be interesting to see how Sarah's going to take the Chuck/Jill relationship in.
  • Chuck gets reunited with famed ex Jill; saves the world in ridiculous fashion.

I had a real problem with this episode, but not necessarily the same one others have pointed to. The series established early on that Chuck was hung up on Jill, big time, for years and even as he was introduced to his spy life. While it may not have been seen on camera thus far, I don't find it implausible that while Sarah has distracted and detracted from those feelings, they are still there.

However, some things in this episode struck me as so completely implausible that I found it really hard to get into it. Covert operatives don't carry badges, they can't call random law enforcement agencies to follow the around (In chuck vs. the first date, the SWAT team was CIA), and Chuck has never had any real authority or power over anything. I would love, love, L-O-V-E for there to be an episode where Chuck takes a genuine interest in his CIA role and went through some basic training, but to date it hasn't happened.

Likewise, that Jill could stumble onto a method for an antidote makes sense, but she wouldn't have a clear system worked out, it wouldn't be as simple as it was, and she wouldn't just have the equipment laying around to do it with. Plus I doubt a sterilization chamber could have arrived and been set up in a whopping 40 minutes or so.

I don't mean to hate here - and sorry to those who disagree - but I just couldn't get into it. Chuck is a wonderful flight of fancy, and just as with most sci-fi shows you can only enjoy it if you are very liberal with the logic up front, but the whole poisoning scenario just made me roll my eyes.

Further, I have grown weary of the recent change-up in format surrounding Buy More operations. In the first season we followed Chuck around from his home life, to his zany spy life, to his quirky friendship with Morgan at the Buy More and the merry band of misfits doing hilarious things around them. Now we seem to switch back and forth from Chuck's world and Morgan's world, with no significant show of friendship between them and with Buy More antics having very little to do with Chuck himself. This is unfortunate. Chuck versus Tom Sawyer was a step back in the right direction from prior episodes this season, but now they're back at it with perhaps the least funny Buy More situation of all. As Chuck would say, "Show the bearded guy some love!" (and show the other white shirts less).

Despite all my whining, the episode was still very funny - especially the chuck kiss *not* involving Jill, and I'm interested to see where things go with Jill, though it can't end well. He may get to really explore real feelings for a change, but it's just one more thing he has to hide from his family and friends - can't look like a cheater, after all. Poor Chuck...he just can't win. At least not until the show's had a long, successful run.
  • Episode starts with a flashback about Chuck and his ex, Jill. In the present, he meets her, and their relationship develops during the course of the show. The side story involves the Buy More employees and a CPR test.

This episode, to me, has been one of the most entertaining ones I have seen in a while. The interesting side story was hilarious. And the main plot kept me focused with the multiple twists throughout the episode. I liked the introduction of Jill, Chuck's ex-girlfriend for Stanford. I liked the character design, but I didn't like how Chuck reacted to seeing her. It was entertaining to see how her view of Chuck changed multiple times, from rich, popular Chuck, to loser Chuck, and then to spy Chuck. Although I like Jill, I hope to see her leave soon due to her effect on Chuck and Sarah's relationship. I hope in the end, this will only bring Chuck and Sarah closer together. To close things up, this episode was full of drama, suspense, and entertainment.
  • Painful to watch and Hilarious at the same time

I liked this episode a lot but hey, that's not Chuck! I have seen this show since the beginning and that is not the Chuck I know. I know about the whole "You never get over your first love" stuff but, is not like she was death and now is alive or anything. Chuck was supposed to have strong feelings for Sarah, and Chuck is with another woman in one episode? I don't believe it. I know that this will make things interesting but this could have been better written. The episode was hilarious but the whole Jill thing needed to be slower to work for me.
  • as far as the story was concerned it was great but as faras chucks feelings it kinda went a little downhill.

okay the story was great in fact i loved it.. but i hated chuck in this episode.. in the past few episodes he'd woo sarah, tell/show her how he really felt. the last episode we could still see that chuck likes sarah and then this episode comes along and it starts with chuck listening to jill's mix? how could that happen, in all the episode he never really mentions jill except when they say she slept with his x bestfriend and now we see him saying he's not over her. i dont get it so what was sarah then? my 2 cents is that chucks feelings in this episode just isnt right... if chuck was to fall for jill again give it time or sth to make it believable..
    and felt bad for sarah...

hehe i still love chuck...
  • Another great installment!

After a filler episode two weeks ago, Chuck returns with an episode that evolves the storyline, with the introduction of Chuck's old flame, Jill, played by Jordana Brewster.

In the episode, Chuck meets his ex again, and his feelings for her return, which causes problems as she may be involved in some shady business involving a new bioweapon. In the end though, the two rekindle their relationship and start dating again.

Obviously, this is a device to further complicate the romantic feelings Sarah and Chuck share for one another. And it works quite well. Sarah is jealous, and Chuck has to decide between two women.

While we all know that Chuck will pick Sarah, your still angry at him and your sad for Sarah. And you hate Jill for causing a bigger rift between them.

Anyways, the episode was one of the most important so far this season, and definately one of the funniest. I look forward to the coming episodes and the conclusion of Chuck's dilemna.
  • This episode is easily one of the best of the series so far.

This episode is easily one of the best of the series so far. It was fun and elaborate and the best disguises, so far, ensue. I absolutely loved the restaurant scene, I thought it was one of the best directed scenes so far in the show. With each episode Zachary Levi is impressing me more and more with his acting chops. I sincerely believe that if he keeps this up he will deserve an Emmy nomination. There is a subtly in his performance that I just love. Plus he has to switch back and forth, constantly, between being "just Chuck", the loser who works at the Buy More, and "spy Chuck".

I really liked Jordana Brewster as Chuck's ex-girlfriend, Jill Roberts. I knew it was only a matter of time before they brought Chucks ex into the picture. Brewster really hasn't been in much else, but I hope that this role here will get her some positive exposure. Also Tony Hale returns again this week as Emmett Milbarge, someone sent by Buy More corporate to help improve the store's efficiency. I enjoyed his character much more, this episode, than the last. Probably because he was given much better lines.

I'd have to say, in my opinion, that this was the best episode so far this season. Which is a big deal considering the great episodes we've gotten this season, excluding last episode's disappointment.
  • It's not that the episode was bad at all, just very upsetting (at least for me).

Well that episode was hard to swallow, I was pretty much in tears the entire time (yes I know there was nothing particularly sad about it but I love Chuck/Sarah). What Chuck is doing is really unfair to her, I realize they have established that they can't be together but after everything he went through trying to win her over he moves on to a woman that seriously hurt him once before and kind of flaunts it in an unintentional way without even really seeming to think of Sarah's feelings is kind of low of him. I realize he didn't intend for any of it to happen and probably still doesn't realize the extent of Sarah's feelings for him but I was a little angry with him in this episode. Though I do think I finally figure out what Chuck's flaw is, he didn't seem to have any that I could see, he's way to willing to give his heart and his trust away without really being given any reason to which is especially wreckless of him now that he's in with the NSA and the CIA. And poor Sarah, granted she didn't act devestated or anything but she looked very hurt. Chuck has to know what he is doing is a mistake, I mean Ellie who as he said is pretty much right about everything pretty much smacked him with the truth 'now that he's found the one he can stop wondering about the other'. Unfortunately Chuck picked the wrong one, which I so don't get. Why was he listening to his Jill mix in the beginning of the episode, why on earth is he now saying he never got over her? What about everything that has happened over the years with Sarah? Something isn't adding up here for me, it feels like they are going very out of order with this whole return of Jill and Chuck's feelings for her story line.