Chuck

Chuck Versus the Fear of Death

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 15, 2010 on NBC

• At first glance not the strongest of episodes but look a little deeper and you realize it might just be the perfect setup for something awesome.

In comparison to the episode that was aired two weeks ago this installment of Chuck was at first a little disappointing. The story never seemed to go anywhere and when the episode finished I felt as though it had only just really started to get into the swing of things. But then I looked a little deeper at the episode and things really started to make a lot of sense. I think they have taken this episode as an opportunity to attack some of the core issues with the show. First let's talk about the obvious one, Is Chuck really a spy or a simply a human host for the intersect with a kick-ass spy girlfriend? Though I love the intersect 2.0 and seeing chuck kicking ass along with Sarah and Casey, I have to say he seems more like the intersect's puppet than the spy he was becoming in the first two seasons. He used to have to save the day on his own merit where now he always relies on a Flash. I think this is one of the main issues they are addressing here. It is time to put this argument to bed once and for all and they have done a good job here of opening it up for some kind of resolution in the next episode. I hope that he keeps his intersect 2.0 abilities but I also hope that he learns to rely a little more on his own intellect as well.

Now the second issue, the Chuck Sarah relationship. Every die hard Chuck fan out there will probably tell you that they were dying to see them finally get together but at the same time that things have been awkward since they have been. This is a result of the fear of the loss of tension the lack of a will-they-wont-they relationship status has caused in the show. The writers don't seem to want the relationship to lose its chemistry but it seems that they have over compensated for this by giving them some problem to clash over in every episode. Again this episode has opened up this storyline nicely and might allow this to be put to bed finally in the next episode. Sarah has finally let slip that she still doesn't see Chuck as a spy and the next episode is where he really has to prove himself to her. Once he has done that and shown that he can look after himself, then they can concentrate on them becoming a team of equals that work well with each other rather than having Sarah constantly being his protector and trying to keep him out of trouble.

Rob Riggle (Agent Jim Rye) was the perfect catalyst to bring these questions out in the open and I couldn't help but see him as a future version of Chuck; a very confident and successful spy who still had that goofy/geeky/lovable sense of humor. The other story lines in the show were a little less deep, though I do approve of how they are finally starting to dig out some emotion from the previously two dimensional Casey character. It didn't delve too deeply but it was nice to see that while Casey is still Casey, he is finally starting to come around to his life in Burbank. Overall I think that this episode did exactly what it set out to do and that was give us an opening to what promises to be a corker of an episode next week. All I can say to sum up is damn them for making us wait two weeks only to leave us a cliff hanger for another week... I can't wait to see what happens next.