Chuck

Chuck Versus the Gobbler

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 24, 2011 on NBC

• Engaging, surprisingly intense, and a return to form.

Well this week's Chuck definitely surprised me. Maybe it was trying to return to Chuck after two months with a lackluster episode that made me see think about the series as a whole. But Chuck is back, without a doubt, and if I only got to watch one show my whole life, Chuck is, and always be, it.

While I do think I've outgrown the reason I watched Chuck in the first place, it's hard to remove characters you've known all these years like their your family, and it's easily become a witty, charming staple of my TV week. The whole dark-side storyline played well off of last week, and Morgan, acting the usual way he does and the return of Ellie & Awesome gave more balance to more intensity than usual, which rounded the show nicely. And then there's Timothy Dalton. No guest this show has ever had can come close to the trained professional he is, and the engaging character he portrays. Sorry, Linda.

Nothing's without flaws, however. I could go on and on about the plot holes in the Yuri jailbreak scenes, or how everything seems rushed to conclude Chuck's original 13 episode order, but with what they're given, the writers are doing a hell of a job being fairly consistent, and I can only hope Chuck stays this way.