Chuck

Chuck Versus the Goodbye

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 27, 2012 on NBC

• If a great show has to end (sob), this is the way to do it (spoilers inside)

One of the beauties about 5 seasons of Chuck was that you cannot pinpoint when it jumped the shark, because it always did. It jumped the shark when Chuck and Sarah became a couple, when we learned Chuck's dad created the intersect, when Devon learned Chuck's secret, when the intersect taught Chuck kung fu, when Morgan joined the team, when Ellie learned Chuck's secret, each time Chuck was reunited with a parent, when Chuck and Sarah married, etc. But the series finale so perfectly encapsulated all 5 seasons in a very fresh way.

Happy endings all around for Devon and Ellie (moving to a new life), Morgan and Alex (reuniting), Casey (leaving to pursue his love), Jeffster (leaving the BuyMore to launch their music career), and Big Mike (when Subway finally moved into the BuyMore).

Morgan got to prove his worth by (a) convincing Casey that going soft was okay as part of Team Bartowski, and (b) saving the day by having Jeffster perform at the concert. Chuck proved that, although he'd grown as a spy (by choosing to save lives over returning Sarah's memories to her), he was still the same old Chuck (by accidentally shooting down Casey's helicopter instead of shooting Quinn). And there were two great homages to the pilot episode: (1) Chuck, Sarah, and Casey huddled around a bomb as Chuck used the same virus to disarm it, and (2) Chuck finding Sarah on the same beach where she found him in the pilot's epilogue.

For a flickering moment, I was disappointed that we didn't find out of Chuck's kiss restored Sarah's memories. But everything else was so perfect, I can't imagine any other outcome.

I am so going to miss this program, but I'm so glad I was along for the ride.