Chuck

Chuck Versus the Kept Man

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 06, 2012 on NBC

• Not a favourite.

There are better episodes. In "Chuck Versus the Kept Man," everyone's relationships have sunk into a new mundane, sentimental low. It's hard to believe that Alex and Casey, who met only recently after a lifetime of not knowing the other existed (Alex thought her father had died before she was born), are suddenly cosying up on the couch watching Downton Abbey. When Alex kisses her Dad goodnight and says "you're my hero," it sounds sleazy rather than sweet. I know he's technically old enough to be her father, but it just doesn't feel right. Casey and Gertrude's middle-aged affair is just as icky, and in a rare comic moment Sarah agrees with me after stumbling into their hotel room: "It's all wrong." I don't understand why the gutsy leather-clad head of Verbansky Corps is trying to dress Casey in Speedo's and cashmere sweaters. She can't be near Casey without man-handling him and it seems predatory and gross. He doesn't seem to be enjoying the attention. I think I would have preferred it if they'd matched Casey up with someone who was less like himself. It doesn't help that the very married Chuck keeps giving cliched relationship advice to to Casey that even he doesn't sound like he believes, such as "you need to learn how to listen with your heart." Most frustratingly of all, Chuck's romance has become sort of clownish, old-fashioned and unappealing. In an early scene when Sarah climbs out of the pool in slow motion wearing a tiny black bikini and running her fingers through her hair, Chuck says "hello dah-ling" in a cheesy faux-British accent which he resorts to all too often this season. He was good at playing the romantically-challenged nerd who was desperately in love with someone he knew was out of his league, but I'm not sure he knows how to play a husband - at least not until later in the season, when their relationship meets some serious challenges. He repeatedly talks to Sarah in a cutesy voice, calling her "hon," "my wife," "darling" and even "m'lady." I'm waiting for him to start calling her "the wife," "the little woman," "my better half" and then "the old ball and chain." The one redeeming feature of this episode is Jeff and Lester's efforts to uncover the secret CIA conspiracy at the Buy More. I love the new Jeff, minus the brain-addling carbon dioxide from his van's exhaust pipe, and I think it's hilarious that his theories about what's going on are right on the money. The scene where he breaks through the newly cemented wall in Castle is priceless.