Chuck

Chuck Versus the Pink Slip

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 10, 2010 on NBC

• Chuck is back- look out bad guys!

Ah, Chuck, how I've missed you! The show returns with Chuck now enabled with awesome super-spy skillz...except, he can't..quite.. Make them work. I thought this was a good decision, and loved the scenes where Chuck is trying to force the intersect to kick in but it won't. Chuck still needs to be that clumsy dork that needs to be protected by his handlers. The good news is the show is still that. The bad news is the will-they/won't-they relationship between Chuck and Sarah, which looked like 'all systems go' at the end of last season, has for some reason been broken up again, and they are STILL going to drag out the same thing they've been doing for two seasons already. I think many of us were eager to see the show go in new directions with them trying to do their jobs and be a couple at the same time. Worse of all is the way this was explained. It basically wasn't. Sarah asks Chuck to run away with her and he bails on her because he wants to play spy instead. Wait a minute.. Doesn't he HATE being a spy? Doesn't he like, LOVE Sarah more than anything? His decision not to go with her made no sense on any level. And the story is chopped up so it only gives us pieces of what happened, without revealing all the information until the full flashback much later (we're basically watching the episode saying, "what happened with them exactly?") This was supposed to be the kind of clever broken narrative structure LOST is really good at. But Chuck doesn't do as good a job.

Besides that major issue I had, the ep was otherwise the charmingly fun show we've come to know and love. Chuck got fired for sucking, and had to basically prove himself worthy of being back on the team. There is one character I will sorely miss (a death I won't spoil) but they go out in an awesome way.