Chuck

Chuck Versus the Ring

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 2009 on NBC

• Jumps the shark ... or just very daring?

Don't get me wrong, I love Chuck and have watched it since the beginning (and good to finally see flashbacks to the 1st season), but I gotta wonder whether it's good to make Chuck a master of kung fu when the whole show's about an ordinary guy thrust into the world of spies.

But everything else was, in a word, awesome. As expected Ellie's wedding hit a rather major hitch with Ted Roark's arrival and the return of Jeffster (hilarious!), but Casey literally flies in to save the day. Things aren't over, of course, and Bryce nobly sacrifices himself for Chuck (again), only this was the last time he'd do it.

It's becoming a cliche in modern TV shows, but the last 5 minutes really were 'game-changing'. The revelation of a 'Ring' that Fulcrum were just a component of, and of course Chuck re-inserting the Intersect (had to happen, of course, or there wouldn't be a show), would be a great lead-in to a 3rd season. I'm just not sure it's wise to shake up the show's entire premise by putting Chuck on an equal level with Sarah. Now he just becomes another Bryce, and we all know how that worked out with Sarah last time.

But if there is a 3rd season (come on NBC!) we have some interesting times ahead. Will Morgan leave for Hawaii? Will Steve Bartowski stick around? How will Awesome's marriage to Ellie be affected by the knowledge of his bro-in-law's real profession? And most importantly, can Chuck and Sarah still be together?