Chuck

Chuck Versus the Sensei

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 01, 2008 on NBC

• Last year: "Marshal" This year: "Dixon" Who else from ALIAS will guest star?

When I found out that Carl Lumbly (best known as Marcus Dixon of ALIAS), all I could think of was how they were going to make him evil. After how they made "Marshall" evil, I was interested to see what they'd do to "Dixon."

As soon as it is discovered that Casey's sensei, Ty Bennett, turned and is recruiting old students, Casey goes after him to prevent this from happening. Of course, when Chuck is kidnapped by Bennett, Casey takes Bennett's betrayal personally and is taken off the mission.

Not too surprising, Casey uses Chuck to get in and figure out where Bennett is. He goes after Bennett, locking Chuck up (again, not too surprisin) forcing him to call Sarah. Meanwhile, Ellie meets with the Awesomes and Morgan and the others do bad with their customer service to avoid being Employee of the Month.

I never thought I'd see John Casey being emotional. It's nice to see that side of him.

My favorite part of the whole episode came in the Buy More when Bennett confronts Morgan about his bad customer service: "Wise man treats stranger with respect...because he never knows when he could be facing the eyes of the enemy."

Good advice. Now, if only Morgan would take it.
  • Chuck remains one of the wittiest shows around right now.

This was another top notch Chuck episode. There were so many funny scenes, I couldn't help laughing out loud. The Employee of the Month plot at the Buy More was absolutely hilarious and the main plot with Casey's Sensei was the perfect vehicle for Casey's sarcastic put downs. The whole episode was uproarious from beginning to end. Even the Awesome parents were a great addition to the show - poor Ellie!

What will happen next? I can't wait.
  • Something that has really been keeping the popularity of this show up is that it has consistently clever and funny writing.

Something that has really been keeping the popularity of this show up is that it has consistently clever and funny writing. Not only is the writing consistent, it seems to get better with every episode.

I'm glad to see an episode so focused on John Casey. I feel we can connect with his character so much more now. At least that's how I feel about it. I didn't really care about his character, I enjoy the character for the most part, but I never really cared about him. I hope we get more development for his character soon. I loved when he knocked over his plant then saluted his picture of Ronald Regan, hilarious.

While I usually don't care much, or at all, about the sub-plots, this episode had some funny moments with them. Ellie meets Awesome's parents and getting Morgan Fairchild and Bruce Boxleitner (Babylon 5) to play the part was a nice touch, they were everything you thought they would be. And i thought the employee of the month contest at the Buy More was a step up from the usual shenanigans happening there.

Over all this was an excellent episode, definitely something the fans have been wanting to see.
  • Casey comes face to face with his sensei

This episode is largely about moving on after a betrayal, Casey discovers that his sensei has turned to the dark side and has convinced several of his past trainees to go rogue. Chuck's not sure he wants another case and gets banished back to the Buy More, while Casey reveals that he has these things called "feelings" that can get in the way of his tough-guy act. Sarah mostly navigates their childlike emotions and tastes wedding food. Casey takes down his former sensei using nothing but his bare hands with Chuck words of wisdom. The Awesome's came to visit to start making plans for the wedding which Elle go into over drive.
  • Brilliant.

After last weeks episode Chuck is a little down over Jill and wants some time away from the next mission, this involves Casey's old sensei Ty Bennett who's turned rouge and is recruiting his former students to help steal government secrets. Casey has to deal with his emotions and Chuck to stop Bennett.

Back at the Buy More Emmett introduces 'Employee of the Month ' competition but Morgan, Jeff and Lester decide to start there own 'Worse Employee of the Month ' competition with funny results.

The Awesome's are in town and are planning Devon and Ellie's wedding which Eliie is less than pleased about.

Another great episode.
  • OK

The team is assigned to survey the Global Launch Agency, when intel shows that someone might penetrate their security. During the surveillance someone intrudes the lab who turns out to be Casey's former sensei Ty Bennett.

Meanwhile, Captain Awesome's perfect parents decide to pay Devon and Ellie a surprise visit to help them plan the wedding, and Emmett Milbarge introduces an "Employee of the Month" contest to the Buy More, but the employees start their own contest instead. this was another decent episode of the show but still not as funny as season 1 of the show. 8.5 out of 10.
  • A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Chuck is still reeling from the discovery that his ex-girlfriend Jill was a Fulcrum agent and goes on a mission to take his mind off of his shock. Casey gets a shock of his own when he finds out that his sensei Ty Bennett, who taught him everything he knows, is now one of the most wanted rogue agents. While on the search for Bennett, it becomes clear that Casey may be too emotionally involved to continue with the mission. Meanwhile, Devon's parents Honey and Woody make a surprise visit to help Ellie and Devon plan their wedding. At the Buy More, Emmett reinstates the employee of the month contest, but Morgan, Jeff and Lester have other plans. I love the starting scene with the whole of Caseys fighting, and then it goes to Emmett telling Casey what to do with Casey, I loved it. I love the scene with Chuck and Morgan talking about everything really, mostly about Jill though. I love the castle scenes, especially when Chuck wants to break and then casey uses his awesome sarcasm. i love the new mission, I love the way Chuck is watching over Casey and Sarah, and then Chuck locks Casey inside the place, I love the way it's the man from the backflash. I love the way Ellie comes in and wakes Chuckup and Chuck freaks out. i love the way the Aweomes comes to town, and are making plans for Devon and Ellie's wedding - I love anything to do with Devon, he is delicious. I love the way Casey isn't happy that he knows the man and has a go at Chuck, I love it when they clash heads type thing. I love the scene in the Buy More, where Emmett comes up with 'employee of the month' - awesome storyline! I love the Chuck and Sarah scene talking about Casey. I love the way Morgan is in the staff room making a plan about playing Emmett at his own game - genious, I love how awesome everything is. I love the mission Casey and Sarah needing Chuck, and he puts the phone down, hilarious. I love the way Bennett comes to the Buy More and Chuck freaks out. I love the way Chuck comes to Morgans recuse without him even realizing it. I love the way casey is pulled offf the case, I also love the way Casey reacts to Chuck and then the conversation with Casey and Sarah talking about chuck. I love the way Chuck feels like it is his fault - so cute. I love the scene where Emmett is having a go at Morgan, Lester and Jeff, and then Emmett makes a new rule up - I love it. I love the way Jeff flips out on a customer hilarous. I love the phone conversation between Casey and Chuck and then he users Chuck, great. I love the whole episode. I love the way chuck is trying to get out, and the dinner scene between the Awesomes. I love teh way Sarah comes to help Casey and then Chuck comes with the Nerd Herd car and of course gets taken. I love the fighting scene between Casey and Bennett, I love the way Chuck helps Casey win by making him mad.
  • Predictable.

I pretty much had this episode mapped out from the get go. However, it did have it's funny moments. Like the employee of the month contest at the Buy More. Another funny moment was watching Chuck intentionally pissing Casey off in order for him to defeat his Sensei then Casey, casual thank you and Chuck astonishment. I did however feel for Elle dealing with her future inlaws. The episode did bring up an interesting issue and with Chuck's promise could make life and things interesting. All Elle wants is for her father to walk her down the aisle. I'm looking forward to the explanation as to Chuck and Elle's dad's absence. Could Chuck be following in Daddy's footsteps?