Chuck

Chuck Versus the Tic Tac

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 15, 2010 on NBC

• Loved it

I must admit, I was kinda dissapointed about the last episodes and this season in general.. but this one was amazing!! Why the hell they didn't made them with this kind of interesting and nerve wrecking writing is beyond me. I haven't written reviews in a while but this episode was so great that I couldn't help it. My only hope is that Casey will still be a spy, he is one of my favorites and it will be a real pity if he leaves. I wouldn't mind if Shaw disapperead misterously though, along with his annoying face. The conclusion.. very simple: I love Chuck. I love this show. And pleaaaaseeee keep Casey in the pictureee!!!
  • Chuck Vs the Tic Tac features a peelback of Casey's life, fight sequences galore, and more exploration of the tension between Chuck and Sarah.

Another fantastic episode, this one seemingly the one seasonal episode devoted to John Casey. The additional background info on Casey was written beautifully, adding depth and more love for a character who was underexplored much of his career. Was surprised how many viewers thought this was the first time they learn Casey's true name of Alex Coburn...did you not catch on, when Chuck, playing Rafe in episode 8, flashed on Casey's name and then Casey, with a look of consternation, told Chuck "to mind his own business"??? Pay attention, people!! But seriously, learning that John gave up his Coburn persona plus a "love-of-his-life" and daughter, for service to his country, was a fabulous moment in Chuckdom, along with his advice to Chuck about choosing country or love, in the case of Sarah/Sam vs. Team Bartowski. The action scenes with Chuck displaying some of the full force of his flash-Intersect 2.0 abilities, and using a pill that boosts his capabilities by surpressing all emotions, along with Sarah attached to a car's chassis and then kicking many assies, were some of the best ever. Exciting, right?? In making up for the blunder of missing Chuck/Rafe's flash on Casey, did anyone notice how the sight of Sarah (and obviously the LOVE of her) helped Chuck fight the effects of the emotion-surpressing pill?? And it was also a lovely moment when Chuck tells Sarah that he'll always be the great guy she knew, besides being a great spy. Morgan also has been getting more of a big role and more of an effect on Chuck, and it's nice that we're seeing more friendship as well as comic parts with Devon. This season is consistently the best of the three so far, with great episodes from number one on. Lastly, I am one of hopefully a huge number of fans who want to see Chuck end his spy career in the arms of the amazing Sarah Walker, and want to know more about Sam's real life/name with a surname as we learned Casey had. Hope to see Casey back soon since he is now so rich in character and abilities, and hope by season's end, that enough of the Ring's power is defeated so the team says goodbye to Daniel Shaw, alone at long last.
  • Without words.

Ok...First post here.

As a Chuck fan in Spain -have seen all episodes- this last make me feel crazy about Chuck. I think that, taking the pill, he will be able to shoot someone if the pill really does his effect, something that yesterday we didn't see.

Besides on, I freaked out myself when I watched Casey's daughter and when General Beckman said that he was "dismissed". She broke my heart there...we always wanted to get Casey a story, and when he does, he gets dismissed. I hope he will be back in the next episodes, because he give this series a great sense of thoughness.

Can't wait until next week, where I hope more surprises -for a moment, I thought that Casey was turning into a Ring member-.
  • That's the Chuck we all know and love..

Finally Chuck was what we all wanted ti see the past few weeks.. (most of all.. there was NO Shaw)
    The tension between Chuck and Sarah is still on and we realize that Sarah still cares about him.. even though she has doubts on staying or leaving..
    But this episode wasn't about the two but about John Casey.. We finally learn some backround information on him and HIS REAL NAME... It was about time if you ask me as we knew nothing about his past... The scene between Morgan and Awesome was hillariou...
    And finally.. what we all expected all through season 3.. Sarah kicks some ass.. I really loved the fight scenes ... reminded me of old Chuck..
  • Broken Banzai. Deep.

Vs. the Sensei was arguably the weakest Chuck episode ever made. I found it uneven, silly, poorly scripted, and felt like it really showed how tacky/cheesy the show can be. The John Casey character is so enjoyable that fans were really eager to see a story revolving around him, but that entry didn't do anyone any favors. That's why I'm happy to report that Vs. the Tic Tac does Colonel Casey justice, and continues to highlight this series' strengths.

Light is shed on the Alex Coburn mystery, as we find out that this is actually John's real name (like Sarah and Sam, I guess), and he had to destroy his former identity when he was a young soldier to help protect the one woman he loved (fans have also been eager to see the romantic side of this hardened hero). Robert Patrick turns in another great villain role as Casey's former commanding officer-turned-Ring agent Keller. The episode did a great job handling Casey in the first half; it looked like John had turned on the CIA, when he was stealing an item from within their own confines and I enjoyed his and Chuck's awkward interactions, especially when Bartowski comically spills the beans at a mission briefing. But we knew this couldn't be the loyal Casey we all know and love; something had to be up. Keller was in fact using him, and the episode gets even stronger when Sarah and Chuck stand by him to help him rescue Kathleen and take down the baddies. The gravity of committing treason and the weight of trouble for our team was conveyed well.
    The best scene was when Casey had Chuck at gunpoint, and we knew that he just couldn't pull the trigger- something he probably could have done with ease 3 years ago. My, these characters have grown!

The show is still sort of figuring out what to do with Devon and Ellie. They had a cute little spat about whether or not they should go be doctors abroad or if Ellie should stay at USC, her dream. I admire Awesome's push to keep Ellie safe, but couldn't help but feel he was being selfish and it was more out of his own cowardice that he wanted to runaway and hide. There is a funny scene with Awesome and Morgan when they find out they both know Chuck's secret, and I'm glad he came to his supportive senses at the end of the show.

Chuck (the show) continues the push itself in new directions. Casey only got one scene with his lost love, but it was a nice one, and I wish there was more, but maybe there will be- General Beckman dismissed Casey for the last time, essentially completely relieving him of duty. John is now a civilian and it will be interesting to see where they go with that (he has a daughter!). Even Sarah may be moving to D.C. Should this series end prematurely, they are certainly taking the steps to put characters' plots in satisfying places. Recent episodes are feeling like season finales. This has been one of the most consistent string of great episodes I've seen from any show on television.
  • Broken Banzai. Deep.

• This episode appears to have signaled a major change in the interactions of the major characters. Only time will tell if this if for the good or a bell tolling the demise of this wonderful series after this season. We fans pray this is not to be!

In this episode Casey appears to have been finally canned by the General. He has added a lot to this series so I can only assume he will keep helping out his friends in most or all of the remaining episodes for this season. Chuck may or may not have swallowed the no fear no feelings pill but even if he did the one thing that appears to override it is Sarah's love for him and her power to retain the human element in him -- but then again maybe he palmed the pill. Sarah headed for Washington but presumably Chuck and She will finally cement together a solid relationship but will it be as super spies or ex-spies. Even if they all go civilian due to their unique talents they will always be faced with recalls to duty and/or enemy spies tracking them down cause as long as they live they pose a threat. HOWEVER, is it possible this breakup of all the characters is a signal that this show -- one of the best action/comedy shows on television is not going to be renewed next season? This show has a wonderful cast and they blended together beautifully. If this show is not going to be renewed it will a great loss not only to we loyal fans to to just clean, funny, thrilling quality TV!!!
  • Intense!*possible spoilers*

I thought this was another stellar episode. A lot of intense scenes. You never knew what was going to happen next. We finally learn a little back story on John Casey and like his character throughout the show it does not disappoint. Even though we did not have the Buy More antics in this one I did not seem to miss it. Which is kind of odd because I thought I would. Normally that is one of my favorite aspects of the show, but in this case we really didn't need it. I was so in thralled with John Casey's story it didn't bother me at all. A lot of good action sequences in this one It's been a while, but we finally get to see a decent fight sequence with Sarah and Chuck goes all out.the tension between awesome and ellie was making me nervous but towards the end it all worked out, although I am sad to see ellies role reduced. Or at least that is what I think, I'm sure she will still be in episodes just not as much. Didn't have the charm or the fun feel as last week's but outstanding nonetheless. :-)
  • Casey steals a government secret and is caught as a traitor. Chuck and Sarah must figure out what happened and get him released. Casey's old boss has turned and is part of The Ring now so we are left to try and understand what is really happening.

I had to keep reminding myself that nothing is necessarily permanent on this show. We've seen quite a few times where Chuck or one of the characters seems to be gone, dead, or through so again just keep calm...

I did not necessarily enjoy the direction this episode took. There were a number of things to recommend it. Chuck's antics pretty much the whole episode. Breaking into the 15 levels of security, tattling on Casey thinking it was a test, and then the whole final battle scene after he took the medication.

We were hit with so many different possible changes it is almost impossible to mention them. Remember, keep calm...

We're dealing with Casey and what he did and the consequences of his actions. Sarah and Chucks conversation and the fact she is considering her options. Elle and the whole Doctors Without Borders stuff. The scene with Awesome and Morgan was great though.

We are at a crossroads. So many different directions. So much new information. What's changed and what hasn't? We really don't know yet and as this is not the season finale so I'm going to stay calm and basically wait for the conclusions to these story lines. So I think it's time for a little meditation. Thanks for reading... Hum......
  • CHUCK has done it again.

Oh men, you can't catch a break with this show, every episode seems to be game changing.

I'll start just how my others reviews saying that my english sucks, so I'll talk like a six years old child...or worst. SPOILERS!!! ahead.

This season is on fire. Every episode on CHUCK seems to be game changing. A Casey's episode, with awesome fights, drama and they let us hanging to see what will happen to Casey as a Cilivian.
    I'm realling hoping this is a hmmm, move from the General to put Casey inside the ring, because I don't see another way to Casey going back to the Team.

I know that Sarah won't stay in DC ( I read the synopsis for future episodes, and thank god doesn't say anything about casey, i want the surprise ), but I'm hating Sarah right now.

Yey, Awesome and Ellie will stay =).

Nice scene when Morgan and Awesome finds out that they both knows Chuck secret.

Sad scene when Casey and Chuck are in Casey's apartment and he's without his spy stuff, and the only things he had were a couple of books, a table and his bonzai. He lost everything he live for, so I'm really really hoping he'll be back as a Colonel soon.

CHUCK vs The Tic Tac. I was really hoping that Casey gave Chuck a placebo, a tic tac instead of the real pill that takes aways his emotions, just to prove him that he got what it needs inside and he doesn't need a pill or anything else to flash. But he didn't say a thing, sadly, so he did take the real stuff. Now I'm hoping that it will have secondary effects, like no having emotions whenever he flashes, so Sarah will have to calm him down, or maybe removing the intersect, at least the part that gaves him the kung fu powers, and becoming a Spy the right way.

Pretty damn good episode, but I don't get why is so low rated comparing to previous episodes from this season. This and Chuck vs The Beard were way better than previous episode, with ( damn, no spellcheck here, I'M SURE it will be misspeled, like when i wrote misspeled ) exception ( or maybe not, it seems right to me... ) of the one with the Dictator.

Or maybe it's that I'm watching the episodes with more enthusiasm than before so I like this ones better than previous ones.

long live CHUCK!.

Greetings from Argentina.
  • That. Was. INSANE! This episode reminded me why this show deserves to be classified as AWESOME.

Mate, this show just gets better and better every week! (But after The Mask, that is not hard aye)

* * * * * * * SPOILERS * * * * * * * This episode was written by the new writers, and they sure do a good job.

Casey-centric episode this week, which is a nice change of pace, as he seems to have fallen to the way-side this season and he really is an awesome character.

An unmissable story this week with more than one big revelation concerning casey, treason among them. However, he did it to save his old fiance, oh yes, Casey had a missus back in the day! Surprisingly his backstory is actaully very engaging and sad at the same time. We also find out his real name, and its is so much more satisfying than Sarahs real name, but there isnt anything wrong with the name Sam tho!.

Chuck was also mega awesome this week, Neo-esque, but slightly more beleivable. Dare it be said, he may have almost been badass? Muahaha. Its a shame that there was only one of those pills, and cos Chuck took it, then does that mean there are no more? Because it would be an awesome story arc and the fact that Sarah managed to over-ride the no emotions no fear aspect. Very Hulk haha.

And was that a double flash when he flashed on the kungfu and the strangling thing simultaniously and is it possible that there may be side effects from multipal flashes?

Casey as a civillian looks like an interesting storyline, but hopefully it does not last to long, cos he is just the most badass spy! His face when he is told that he has no job, its heark-breakingly well done. LOVES CASEY.

However it was nice to see that Casey and Chuck seem to be still friendly after he lost his job, and he even kept his house? The Bonzi tree is also a nice touch.

Morgan and his attempts at spying were a great boost to the humor of the show and hopefully he will be in more episoes in relation to his bromace with Chuck. On that note, the Buy More was missed. But not to much, as this episode was still awesome without it.

Sarah is looking like she is getting back to her season 2 amazingness, well hopefully, what with this talk of hr moving to DC. But she seemed to be releived that Chuck had no reservations or hesitations about busting Casey out of jail. She event told him she though she has lost the Chuck of three years ago.

Overall this episode has to be in the top three of this season, both acting and pacing wise. But one of the biggest contributions to the awesomeness of this episode? No Shaw. Badassly Awesome that was.

This review made it all the way from New Zealand people, so enjoy!
  • Casey turns traitor. Spoilers within

What can one say about this episode? Well first off it was fantastic. Loved Morgan trying to be a spy. Hope we get more of Morgan's "help". I was also so happy that Ellie and Devon are staying. The show like this needs needs its supporting cast. Chuck by himself would never be anywhere near as entertaining as it is with the full cast. The main story was great. We get a great deal of back story on our favorite NSA agent. The episode keeps you guessing about his reasons till it is finally revealed. At first I thought it was a fake with only Casey and General Beckman being in on it so Casey would infiltrate the ring and bring it down from the inside. But when it was revealed the true reason, I agreed that was a good reason for his actions.

Thew episode featured some great action. When Sarah lowered herself from under the car that was awesome. Never saw that coming. Chuck as the "gas man" was also fantastic.

It was sad to see Casey reverted to civilian life now. I hope he works to advise Chuck and provide him with knowledge. I also hope he eventually earns back his stripes. if they write him off i will be deeply upset. Casey is one of my favorite characters in a show full of characters i love.

Anyway it was a fantastic episode plain and simple.
  • BAM!!!! Another great episode!

Quite possibly the best episode all season; Chuck Versus the Tic Tac had almost everything needed for a perfect episode. With further character development of Casey and finally an episode without the weird love triangle involving Sarah, Chuck and Superman... I mean Shaw, this episode was just another example of why Chuck is probably one of the best shows on television. The startling twist at the end of the episode with the revelation that Colonel Casey had a fiancee and now a daughter, opens up a number of new options for later episodes and a whole other level to a show that is already a top notch program. With Casey's dismissal from the NSA and his return to civilian life, the next few episodes will definitely be very exciting to watch!
  • Casey commits treason.

A Casey centric episode without Shaw is what the show needed. We find out a lot about Shaw, so that definitely goes in the character development category. Casey has a secret, he's working for the Ring. Chuck sees him doing something illegal and thinks it's a test for him to see if he would report Casey. He ends up reporting him to the general, only to find out it wasn't a test. And Casey's in some hot water. Chuck & Sarah team up to break Casey out of jail, only to find out the Ring beat them too it, Casey goes with the Ring. So now Chuck & Sarah team up to find out why. Turns out Casey's ex-wife is at risk, and if Casey doesn't do what The Ring says, it's 'goodbye wife.' Chuck trying to save the wife was amazing. Loved the fight scene, and it would have to be one of my favorites this season. I love how Casey disobeyed them, "A tic tac?" Haha, I laughed at that part. After all is done, Casey is now a civilian. What does this mean for the team? Kind of upset me. But great episode, regardless.