Chuck

Chuck Versus the Undercover Lover

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 24, 2008 on NBC

• We see Casey's flashback

We flashback to Casey's past. The year is 2004, and Casey is in a hotel room with his love, Ilsa something. Ilsa leaves the hotel and is caught in an explosion. We only see her camera left. Now, flash to the present day, where Chuck flashes on a list of names, one of them being Ilsa. Casey finds out and immediatley reignites their love. But Ilsa is undercover and marrying a mob boss. The mob catches Chuck and Casey, but Sarah and Ilsa stop the mob. Ilsa leaves forever the next day. Shame they didn't follow up from last episodes cliffhanger.
  • This show just gets better and better!

This show just gets better and better! Here we get to meet a set of characters from long ago who were by all intents and purposes, in love. This John Casey loses his love to a terrible accident which has left a mark on the man's heart. But Chuck has news for John Casey. His "dead" love is actually alive! Not only that but she's a French spy! I didn't know the French had spies! Chuck helps John unload his pain and in turn John helps Chuck understand Casey all the more. Poor Chuck. His life is just too complicated anymore!
  • Great

The episode begins with a flashback to the year 2004, where John Casey is involved with a female Russian named Ilsa, who claims she is a photo journalist. Later, in present day, Ilsa returns with a fiancé, named Victor Federov. Things get complicated when it is revealed that Ilsa is a French spy. This episode was the second to last episoded of seaon one and guess what I bloody loved it man I'm going to miss this hilerous show I have never laughed so hard at a series in my life. bring on Chuck season 2. Oh and Casey is so cool.
  • Different side of John Casey!

This show keeps getting better and better. As we see the innerside of John Casey. Why he is like the way he is. Sure he is a jerk, but there is a reason for it before you begin to love to really hate him. Glad that Chuck got to the matter of his heart as we saw a different side of Casey. Thinking that he lost the one true woman that he loves a lot but only to find out that she was really alive. Chuck was forced to act "unpleasant" in order to save Casey's life hence LOL at the pushing Casey in the closet and locking the door. Love the "love-hate" relationship he and Casey have on one another!
  • Review

Great episode filled with everything that you would expect in a normal Chuck episode. I liked the story in this episode - with us being able to get an inside view of the things that Kasey has gone through in his life and how he is still experiencing them even to this very day. Also going off the last episode, where it seems to be his mission to kill Chuck, this episode really hit home as Chuck really tried to be there for Kasey. Just a bit of irony I guess that should set up the 13th episode which is going to be like a mini season / maybe full season finale with the ongoing writers strike. Lot of funny moments in this episode too - mainly with Morgan / Captain Awesome / and Ellie. The scenes at the Buy More between the two wanting a television versus a washer / dryer were hilarious and it got even better when Chuck took the two of them in the room to "talk it out". Overall, just a really great episode that flowed really well from beginning to end. The only reason it doesnt get the full on perfect was the lack of any major points that episode 11 adressed in its closing moments.
  • An incredible episode. Funny, sweet and classy.

This episode was really special, I can't believe no one has reviewed it yet!

The flashback was the starting point to the story of one John Casey. In this episode we got to see one of the many things that make John the kind of guy that he is: a tough full-of-quips guy, but like everybody else, has a past that helps explain his attitude. In the flashback we get to see how he thought he lost his love, Ilsa, supposedly a photo journalist, to an explosion in Chechnya. Then we return to the present where Chuck finds her name in a bad guy reunion to be held in the Grand Saville hotel. Chuck tells John about that and the three along with Sarah are sent to investigate the reunion.

As the episode goes on, we get to see a really nice connection between Chuck and John, the guy that has to get rid of Bartowski when the new Intersect is ready. Chuck, though, manages to get into the heart of John by getting the whole relationship with Ilsa out of his system, which translates into a development in Casey's situation, and a demonstration that he's also a human being.

At the end of the episode, John has to let Ilsa go, but now he knows that she's alive, and he's glad about that, because he knows that love is there for him, as it is for everybody. I think this is a very nice episode, and a very good build-up for the following episode, Chuck Versus The Marlin.
  • Awesome.

Chuck discovers that many Russian arms dealers are secretly meeting in Los Angeles. One particular Russian woman, Ilsa Trinchina, (Ivana Milicevic), catches his attention, and he flashes on her as being Casey's ex-girlfriend. Chuck grows very intrigued and begins to pester Casey about their history. After learning this woman is set to marry one of the Russian arms dealers, Chuck insists that Casey fights for his woman. Meanwhile, Devon and Ellie reach a tough point in their relationship. Much of this episode contains references and parallels to Casablanca. Chuck Bartowski, love coach? Tough-gut Casey take the geeks advice and figths for the love og a mysterious Russian. I love this episode finding out a bit of John Casey - I love this man one of the best characters ever and seconf best on this show, he is alwso very hot. I also love the way he growls. I love Awesome and Ellie!
  • this is so much fun to watch

flashback to 2003, casey is undercover in grozny and is in love with a russian reporter. the russian reporter dies in an explosion. casey is forever broken hearted by the tragedy. the bitter memory of the loss makes him a grumpy undercover agent working at the buy more, he's having a hard time dealing with customers, he even gets violent towards them unless chuck cools him down. when chuck flashes on a list of names from the internet, he finds out that the dead russian reporter is not dead and is not russian. this is a really hilarious episode, i had so much fun watching it. the whole story is so funny.
  • This show is just too much fun!

I have been a fan of this show from the first episode. Originally, I added it to my TiVo because there wasn't anything else on in the time slot that I was interested in. I figured, if it was half way decent, I'd watch from time to time. Boy was I wrong. It's funny, it's easy to follow and all of the characters are likable. This epidsode did a great job of exploring a different side of John Casey. All of the characters are just so much fun to watch. Though the premise of the show may be far fetched - I have too much fun watching to care!
  • Casey's on Form.

This episode starts off with Chuck working at the Store who sees a bunch of names and flashes on them, 1 name in particular Iisa. Later Chuck and Sarah are sent to infiltrate a private party at the Hotel, that will be attended by all the Soviet criminals. Casey sees Iisa and soon learns that she is a bride to be, Sarah has been assigned to set up surveillance on Victor.

Elsewhere Elle and Capt Awesome want a gift for their first anniversary, Elle wants a T.V,; Awesome, a washer/dryer. Elle is not best pleased when Devin chooses a washer/dryer, Morgan soon Steps in with a bit of Retail therapy. Awesome in the end decides to change it for the Big T.V.

Chuck and Casey go to the Hotel to fight for Iisa, Chuck some how ends up in Victor's Room planting a bug and finds out that Isla is an Agent, Casey then enters with Iisa he ends up underneath the bed as a Drunken Victor walks in. Casey is not best please to find out that Iisa is an agent, she later explains herself. She gives him the necklace back in which he gave him.

Chuck finds out that theres a bug in it and that Iisa life is in danger. Chuck and Casey do battle with Victor's goons, only to fall off the side of the balcony into the pool, Victor is soon Captured.
  • Casey's nickname is Sugarbear. His ex-girlfriend shows up. Who wouldn't be curious?

Any episode that has both Casey backstory and Captain Awesome and Ellie fun sure has my vote. I have missed Captain Awesome, and I need me some backstory for Casey. The episode starts with undercover John Casey in love. She dies, he's heartbroken. Of course, since this is "Chuck" she is not really dead. There was some sort of sobstory about memory-loss but I ignored that. Point being, Sugarbear's girlfriend is not dead and her fiancé is a dangerous Russian. I sense a plot. Chuck, in the mean time, finds as much time as possible to make fun of Casey and find out as much as he can about Casey's lovelife. Go Chuck! Go give Casey relationship advice. It's fun! Oh wait, she's a spy too! Saw that coming, but it was still very awesome. And Ellie and Awesome's relationship issues are well-written, especially with Morgan as their shrink. And now Awesome is joining the Nerd Herd. For strip poker! That scares me and amuses me at the same time. Everyone is consoling everyone, and with various degrees of hilarity as a result. Morgan and Ellie do end up in a bed together. Casey is hilariously drunk, which results in him fighting Russian guys while tied to Chuck, and then making a dive into a pool. Stunt fun!

Ellie and Awesome are back together and happy, Casey is a lovesick sap after all (sort of), and Chuck and Casey are now buddies. Again, sort of. Overall, this episode was awesome!
  • Maybe best episode of season?

This episode was great, particulary because of the way it was written. After watching the movie Casablanca a couple years ago, I have started to release how many tv shows use it as an allusion at some point in time.

The best part was how the allusions of Casablanca were dropped in throughout the episode, it was just like the movie! all put into a 20 min episode.

The storyline was good and the episode has to be given 10 out of 10 for me, mainly because it was much better than other episodes this season, the first few episodes werent all that great and I was lucky to keep watching, but it has been worth it, as these late season episodes have been good.