Chuck Forums

NBC (ended 2012)

Thoughts on Chuck's Mom

skhplbliss

[1]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 9

The most important, while not necessarily the most interesting, but certainly the most central aspect, of this season is Chuck's Mom. Momma Bartowski, played by Linda Hamilton, like her or hate her, looks like she'll be here 'til the end of the 13 episode mark, or possibly even 'til the end of the season and beyond.

I personally dislike her character because the "not-really-good-not-really-bad" kind of agent has been played before, most effectively by Brandon Routh as Shaw, before that by Jordana Brewster as Jill, and before that, way back in the first season, by Matthew Bomer as Bryce. Now, while having a recurring theme running through a show isn't necessarily a bad thing, I actually like their portrayal of the spy life as such a gray life style, a kind of less intense version of Alias (and yes, I know that's a stress, but any spy show I ever watch will forever be compared to that show). But I am kind of getting sick of a central character being deceiving. The ambiguity of the spy world can, and is more than effectively, being portrayed by Beckman, played by Bonita Friedericy, with her sometimes questionable missions for Chuck. This redundancy takes up valuable air time which could be left to more interesting plot lines, in my opinion.

I would really love to see Momma B turn into the villain we all thought she was. I would love the duality it would signify, with Chuck's Dad being "good' and his Mom being "evil" it could be like him being torn into two different directions, with his mom trying to convince him to join her side.

Also, as a side note, I'd love to see Jill return this season, along with Cole Barker, and Carina. Pretty much every guest character they've had on the show. I love 'em.

So let's hear some thoughts!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

frostbite200

[2]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 21
    I'm more for her then most people, I think. I'm not going to say weather or not I like her until the season ends, her pay off is probably going to make it for me!
    I like her far more then Shaw last season, he was boring. Personally I don't think she's going to be bad, she might go back and forth with this for awhile, but in the end when the decide to kill her or write her out, I feel she'll redeem herself.

frostbite200

[5]Nov 11, 2010
    • level: 21
    sramv9 wrote:

I also have a feeling Frost is romantically involved with Volkoff. I can't remember if anything has been said about that one way or another - so far I think all we know for sure is she is his 2-IC (unless i missed something?).

That did come across vaguely last episode, and with Generalissimo's comments about Frost, i think this might have some merit!

skhplbliss

[6]Nov 11, 2010
    frostbite200 wrote:
    sramv9 wrote:

I also have a feeling Frost is romantically involved with Volkoff. I can't remember if anything has been said about that one way or another - so far I think all we know for sure is she is his 2-IC (unless i missed something?).

That did come across vaguely last episode, and with Generalissimo's comments about Frost, i think this might have some merit!

I agree, and I would also like to see that possibility explored.
    I also agree that Chuck should be more humorous, as it's part of what attracted me to show in the beginning, from the first moments of the first episode.

mightymongoose

[7]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 6

I actually really like Mary Bartowski's character at the moment. I agree that the moral gray characters have been done before but I think that for the first time I am genuinely stumped as to an answer as to which she is. I have my theories that she has been good all along and has been working with Papa B but I have to say that she could just as easily be bad and to be honest I think I would prefer it if that turned out to be true.

I love the fact that at the moment anything could happen with her and I can't really predict it. Jill was always going to be bad else she would have got in the way of the Chuck Sarah relationship and as soon as Shaw saw the footage of Sarah killing his wife it became obvious that he was going to turn as well. This time I am genuinely unsure as to what is going to happen and I love it that this show still has me guessing, it is probably the reason why I am so hooked.

skhplbliss

[8]Nov 22, 2010
    SPOILER WARNING

Based on this night's episode, it does really look like Momma B erased Chuck's Intersect, which begs the following questions:
    1) How did she know it would?
    2) Why did Poppa B not want her to do that?
    3) How did she know Poppa B didn't want her to erase the Intersect?

Ambaryerno

[9]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 18

I think you missed a few lines of dialogue, somewhere. Chuck can't flash, but the Intersect itself IS still there. You could tell from last week's when the Intersect tried to work but failed (he had several partial flashes, but none of them completed properly) and Beckman explicitly said the Intersect is still there, but inaccessible for now.

I'm still of the opinion that it modified or enhanced it somehow, and Chuck just hasn't figured out (or is missing some key component) for it to function correctly. I'm also of the opinion that whatever is on the laptop is somehow part of it what's going on.

skhplbliss

[10]Nov 23, 2010
    Ambaryerno wrote:

I think you missed a few lines of dialogue, somewhere. Chuck can't flash, but the Intersect itself IS still there. You could tell from last week's when the Intersect tried to work but failed (he had several partial flashes, but none of them completed properly) and Beckman explicitly said the Intersect is still there, but inaccessible for now.

I'm still of the opinion that it modified or enhanced it somehow, and Chuck just hasn't figured out (or is missing some key component) for it to function correctly. I'm also of the opinion that whatever is on the laptop is somehow part of it what's going on.

My way of thinking about it is like this: His brain's a computer and the Intersect system's been completely erased. The hardware is still there and all the other programs work fine, he can talk and breathe etc, but his Intersect program is either lacking the program itself or the "saved files." This is, of course, an over-simplification of the complexity of computers, and I've got only a moderate understanding of them so if you know more than I do and I just spouted a bunch of gibberish, lemme know and I'll come up with a different analogy.
    Either way, it leaves Chuck sans the Intersect, causing him to rethink his position in life.

mightymongoose

[12]Nov 23, 2010
    skhplbliss wrote:
    Ambaryerno wrote:

My way of thinking about it is like this: His brain's a computer and the Intersect system's been completely erased. The hardware is still there and all the other programs work fine, he can talk and breathe etc, but his Intersect program is either lacking the program itself or the "saved files." This is, of course, an over-simplification of the complexity of computers, and I've got only a moderate understanding of them so if you know more than I do and I just spouted a bunch of gibberish, lemme know and I'll come up with a different analogy.
    Either way, it leaves Chuck sans the Intersect, causing him to rethink his position in life.

If you remember in the first season when the intersect was gone for good Chuck said he felt lighter and there was nothing even resembling a flash. I would go so far as to say that I am a hundred percent positive the intersect is still there and what Chuck's mum showed him was something to bring about the Intersect 3.0. I have lots of theories as to what this might be but I won't bore you with them as they are purely speculation. I half expected him to flash at the end of this episode when it became clear that Chuck was no longer going to try hard to remove the psychological rock. I thought it was going to be one of those you can want something too hard scenarios. My guess is that what ever has happened will come out in next weeks episode. I can't imagine Chuck spending any time with his mum with out finding out what ever it was that she did to it.

skhplbliss

[13]Nov 27, 2010
    Boring us with speculation? What is this nonsense? We're all speculating!

skhplbliss

[14]Nov 29, 2010
    SPOILER ALERT!

Am I the only one who doesn't trust Momma B yet?
    And this is bugging me: Before she showed Chuck the PSP of De-Inersectization, she told Chuck that his Dad never wanted him to see it. What's the significance of that?

mightymongoose

[15]Nov 30, 2010

skhplbliss wrote:
    SPOILER ALERT! Am I the only one who doesn't trust Momma B yet? And this is bugging me: Before she showed Chuck the PSP of De-Inersectization, she told Chuck that his Dad never wanted him to see it. What's the significance of that?

I'm with you on this. I can't trust her either. I think she might just be telling the truth when she says that she doesn't want Chuck or Ellie to get hurt, but at the same time I think her ties to them stop there. So long as they are physically safe I doubt she feels any loyalty to them at all.

As for whether she is still acting as a mole in the Volkoff organization... No chance. She is in too deep, she seems to be too ruthless and involved. I just can't believe she is still one of the good guys. And why hasn't anyone asked the question "If your trying to bring him down, why haven't you been able to do it in 20 years!" That's a hell of a long time to be twiddling your thumbs waiting for the right moment, if your going to do something... do it!

I too have been troubling over her words to chuck after she showed him the device and after this episode I am even more confused. I still think that there is more to see with this yet as while it seems clear that Ellie and Papa B's computer has fixed the intersect and probably brought about an intersect upgrade, I still think that what ever she showed him will add something to the pot and push that upgrade to a fully fledged intersect 3.0.

skhplbliss

[16]Nov 30, 2010
    mightymongoose wrote:

As for whether she is still acting as a mole in the Volkoff organization... No chance. She is in too deep, she seems to be too ruthless and involved. I just can't believe she is still one of the good guys. And why hasn't anyone asked the question "If your trying to bring him down, why haven't you been able to do it in 20 years!" That's a hell of a long time to be twiddling your thumbs waiting for the right moment, if your going to do something... do it!

Yeah, I agree. She may have been originally intending to bring them down, but after 20 years of being around and working in an organization, you'd have to get corrupted a little. While she's not full-fledged baddy, she's on the dark end of the gray spectrum in my opinion.
    Additionally, if the CIA has known about such a terrible organization, why is this season the first time it's mentioned? Where has Volkoff been for the first 3 seasons? If Momma B says that she's "been protecting Chuck all [her] life" then how did she protect him?

mightymongoose

[17]Nov 30, 2010

skhplbliss wrote:
    mightymongoose wrote:

Yeah, I agree. She may have been originally intending to bring them down, but after 20 years of being around and working in an organization, you'd have to get corrupted a little. While she's not full-fledged baddy, she's on the dark end of the gray spectrum in my opinion. Additionally, if the CIA has known about such a terrible organization, why is this season the first time it's mentioned? Where has Volkoff been for the first 3 seasons? If Momma B says that she's "been protecting Chuck all [her] life" then how did she protect him?

There is certainly more to this story that is still to be told and I am loving that I can't really put a positive guess as to what will happen. I have strong suspicions but I wouldn't put any money on it and that in my mind is great. Too many shows at the moment are predictable and with the exception of shows like Dexter and Supernatural I had thought that there weren't any shows left that could keep me guessing. I love that Chuck can be added to that list.

And for the first time I think that I can actually be excited by the fact that Chuck only got green lighted for 13 episodes at the beginning of this season because it means that answers are not far away, just the other side of Christmas in fact and then it is instantly on to new and exciting things before this story line gets a chance to get stale.

skhplbliss

[18]Nov 30, 2010
    mightymongoose wrote:

There is certainly more to this story that is still to be told and I am loving that I can't really put a positive guess as to what will happen. I have strong suspicions but I wouldn't put any money on it and that in my mind is great. Too many shows at the moment are predictable and with the exception of shows like Dexter and Supernatural I had thought that there weren't any shows left that could keep me guessing. I love that Chuck can be added to that list.

And for the first time I think that I can actually be excited by the fact that Chuck only got green lighted for 13 episodes at the beginning of this season because it means that answers are not far away, just the other side of Christmas in fact and then it is instantly on to new and exciting things before this story line gets a chance to get stale.

That's actually a fair point. I hadn't considered that before.

pastorkevin52

[19]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 2

Well it's already been established that Volkov is in love with Mom, but she doesn't feel the same way. (Chuck Vs The Leftovers) He's very delusional on that score, but she's very vague on how she's been able to keep it all platonic so far. The thing that bothers me about the character is that she has said very little about her feelings for her dead husband, or how she feels about his death. No mourning, no memories, no nothing. I would be very dissapointed to find out that she has been very intimate with Volkov, and has been lying to Chuck about it.

showmevideogame

[20]Feb 7, 2011
    • level: 5
    There's one thing I'm not sure has been cleared up about Mary's motives.

Why, in Chuck vs. the Aisle of Terror, did she waste her time pretending to kill Charles Carmichael so Volkoff would think he's dead? In Chuck vs. the First Fight, the very next episode, she sent Chuck directly to Volkoff. Any opinions on this?