Chuck

Pilot

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 24, 2007 on NBC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Stupidly funny

I liked it. I admit it-it was funny. It made me laugh...even though most of the jokes were stupid. I wish I could say much about the action...which was so laughable I don't see how any action fan wouldn't be laughing. Overall, I will watch the next episode, hoping it will be as great as this first episode.

I like the performances, I believe everyone did a great appearance in this. I like Captain Awesome, i find him funny. I also like the CIA agent, though I have no opinion on the NSA agent since we barely see him. A great way to begin a series.
  • Not half- bad...

Somebody give this show a chance---and by somebody I mean NBC. It wasn't half- bad but it has room for improvement. I was glad to see a positive bro-sis relationship, loved to see Adam Bladwin back as a mean-son-of...you get my point, and Chuck was just adorable and believeable too. I would get rid of the best friend- annoying and way off kilter and I don't like the Spy Girl- Sarah?... I am for one looking forward to Bilson guest starring and the whole spy thing being revealed. Classic shout outs are also worth two thumbs up! Hopefully this show will make it...one can only hope.
  • It has it's moments.

The whole premise is silly but the show will have a following. I liked the first episode and will watch a few more until I make a final decision. I must agree that it is better than some of the other manure the networks have flung our way in the past, we will see how this one plays out.
    It has some potential but in my opinion will not run for multiple seasons, not enough basis there.
    Thinking on some of the other shows, it has more potential than most of the lineup offered by NBC, the Bionic woman is not that great and the network canceled Crossing Jordan again, maybe someone there will open their eyes and look at their rating.
  • Good, But Doesnt Trounce Prison Break...

I liked the pilot, but there isnt much of anything here that is going to make me watch the show over Prison Break at the Mondays at 8:00 slot. That being said - I did think the pilot was good, with a couple of weird spots here and there.

I think the show would be just as good without the lame attempts at comedy. Alec Baldwin is plays a very good detective (I know him from his work in Daybreak where his role was almost the same exact thing) and I think he is a great addition to the show. I like the two women in the show- Chucks bomb sister in Sarah Landcaster and then his date which turns out to be a CIA agent who was dating Bryce, the man who sent Chuck this information in the beginning of the episode.

I loved the drama and loved the action adventure, but I only laughed once throughout the entire episode. That point being when Chuck was about to begin defusing the bomb and his cell phone went off, classic. Overall, solid pilot I just question the writers choice to make the show somewhat less appealing by adding bad comedy.
  • This show's pretty good!

With all the new show's coming out in the fall, Chuck stood out. I really liked it. I think it intorduced all the people who are going to be in the show well. And it explained everything about how chuck got his powers pretty well. I'm glad for that, sometimes the show writers skip over little nuggets like that. I really like Chuck's charector. I think it's brialliant haha. I like the whole Nerd vibe going on hehe. I think this episode was very very well written, and I cant wait to see how this series plays out. I hope it does well.
  • This episode was very okay.

I think they made the storyline alright but it needs a lot more action and less drama in order to stay alive on NBC. And Chuck was does he have to be so skinny?. I like this show I think. Their was one scene that lowered my ratings for this episode 1.0 points okay the guy comes and asks about the Digital Camcorder and then Chuck says their's no tape in their and then they turn the whole floor into a dancing floor that scene downgraded the episode (No Offense). So either then that the episode was almost perfect so on a scale of 1 to 10 I rate this show 7 & 1/2.
  • A fine example of what all pilot episodes should be.

First of all, I must say that if I knew the show was from "The O.C." creator I probably wouldn't have watched it already or would at least have taken a longer while to do it. Not because "The O.C." wasn't a good show, but just because it wasn't my favorite storyline. Fortunately, though, all I knew from the show is that it's a comedy about espionage and would tell the tale of a nerd who bumped into a series of government secret files. And that was all I needed to be hooked.

However, there were some surprises the pilot brought, that added to a storyline I already liked, made me enjoy it even more. Like the way Chuck doesn't bump into the files - he receives them, although why is still a mystery -, or the very way everything is done (images full of encrypted messages and so on).

The characters were another enjoyful part of the episode since all of them had just the right timing, like Sarah, Ellie, Bryce, Morgan, Casey and the "Captain". Morgan definetily stole some scenes in my opinion. And Chuck... I just already like the guy. The scene in which he almost throw up in the bomb he just defused. "Awesome!"

I think it's too soon to say anything about the future of the show, but it surely had a great beginning. The production and, for certain, the work of McG as director have to be praised because the whole impression I had is that I had watched a movie and not a pilot episode. And I'm not talking about a TV movie!

The ending scenes are something to be praised also. Not only they make a very short and concise sum-up, they bring new questions (left unanswered, of course) and introduce what surely we'll be once of the show's greatest comic reliefs: Casey working undercover with Chuck.

Stay tuned!
    I surely will!
  • something special

most of the time i tend to be somewhat carefull, some series have looked good on paper but suffered on the screen

this pilot delivers, it is that simple, the balance between humor, action and drama works.

Zachary Levi manages to get the right about of geek in his performance (Joshua Gomez does freak me out a bit)

our favourite bladwin does his " i am mean thing" like in firefly and i won't deny that Yvonne Strzechowski is both good and very easy on the eyes

still have to see if they can keep doing this on a week to week basis but nice start
  • Not good, not bad

5.5
    I had been seeing promos and ads for this show for countless weeks now, and all signs pointed towards me not watching it, which is usually the case whenever I'm oversaturated with marketing for something. However, 8:00 rolled around last night, and I had nothing else to watch or do, so I decided to give this show a try. I cringed a little and came to the brink of changing the channel when I saw the show's director was "McG", a pretentious director with a pretentious name with a penchant for making crap. But I stayed on.

Chuck has a premise made for a movie, albeit a movie that's been done several times before. Clumsy, awkward, underachieving nerd Chuck accidentally "downloads" a library of government secrets into his head. The secrets were supposedly "encrypted" into a series of thousands of pictures in an e-mail an old college friend had sent him who, unbeknownst to Chuck, was a spy killed by the government (NSA or CIA, not sure which). This is the first of several silly / ridiculous plot devices and inconcievable events that transpire over the course of the next hour. For having so much to do with the intelligence community, the show is suprisingly dumb. A hard drive is considered "beyond repair" when it becomes dislodged from it's casing, and a bomb that could've only been constructed by someone such as the Joker, complete with an obnoxious overkill of C4 and a laptop as a detonator must be disarmed by logging onto a website and downloading a virus. Intricacies like these make the show hard to take halfway seriously, even as fiction.

However, the humor and action on the show are good, even if the special effects are a bit lame even by network TV standards (unfortunately, every single one-liner and funny moment were played to death on the aforementioned radio and TV commercials, so while it was funny the first time....the 32nd time...not so much). I would consider the action sequences to be the strong suit of the episode; it'll be interesting to see if they keep up the quality of these after the pilot. The acting was decent as well. However, which intelligence agency in their right mind would let someone with that sort of information live their normal life, even if they are under the utmost surveillance? I understand this is necessary to keep the friends and family in Chuck's life an integral part of the show, so I'll give them a pass on this one, but the plausibility of the whole situation is extremely low. I'll check it out again next week. Not my favorite, but not the worst thing on television by far.
  • Not bad, hopefully will stay creative and not become formulaic.

I like the pilot, though the ending was predictable. This is a show that has potential. Though it could become repetative very easily, only time will tell. The character of Morgan is kind of annoying, hopefully more can be done with him in the future. Honestly, I thought Captain Awesome provided more comic relief then Morgan did. And all he ever did was comment on how awesome or not awesome everything was!

Chuck is perfect. Just the right balance of fear, and amazment. Like someone living inside a video game. It'll make an interesting balance too between occasional hero, or victim / person in distress.

Sarah's facinating. A beautiful woman who must protect Chuck, with plenty of romantic tension. Throw into the mix that she had feelings for the man who sent him the images. Throw in again that this man once stole Chuck's previous girlfriend, so obviously, they attract similar women. I smell good storyline!

Don't know enough about Ellie yet. Hopefully as the show goes on, there will be situations where Chuck has to hide stuff from her, or she'll be in danger, or just more will happen with her.

I'm watching this show because of Adam Baldwin. First of all, I hate the hair. He needs a haircut. I like the tension between John and Sarah and I look forward to more of that. But what I really can't wait for is to see John working at the Buy More, and being trained by Chuck!

Looks good.
  • Funny as well as lots of potential!

The show has lots of potential and that it also
    Have great writing and a great cast led by Less
    Than Perfect's Zachery Levi as the innocent and naive Chuck. Who works as a clerk for a Best Buy like store. He is shy and just minding his own business. Until he meets someone named Sarah. As he doesn't know it at first but she works for the CIA. After he accidentally unloads all of their secrets in his head. When he goes out on the "date" with her. She reveals herself to him. As the CIA and Chuck are forced to work together. He must lead a double life working for them and doing his "nerd" job.
  • Interesting and funny enough for a pilot.

I wasn't planning to watch Chuck, but I read this review that it was a lot like Reaper, so I checked out the pilot. I gotta say I wasn't disappointed, Chuck blends sci-fi, comedy, and action perfectly. I love Zachary Levi as Chuck, he's not that much of a nerd but he just doesn't have anything going for him. It was sad and funny how he kept talking about his old girlfriend Jill. I'm glad to see Sarah Lancaster again, (I haven't seen her since Everwood), and love the new hair color. My favorite character is Morgan, Chuck's best friend. He's gonna have the best lines in the show, I just know it.

So, Bryce Larkin, Chuck's college roommate, is now a secret agent. When he acquires vital information and he's about to be gunned down, he sends it to Chuck (who he has not talked to in a long time). It's pretty confusing in the beginning but I think Chuck is the right person to have all these information with the way he defused the bomb and everything. Now he's not just a Nerd Herd employee, he's somebody the government wants. I think he's kinda weirded out that all this has been handed to him and he just doesn't know what to do with it.

In another interesting twist, we find out that Sarah dated Bryce as she longingly look at pictures of the two together in Cabo. That's gonna be juicy once she starts to fall for Chuck.
  • Interesting idea

The idea of this show sounded stupid at first, but I was somehow intrigued and in the end it turned out be quite funny. The premiere episode was okay, although it was a little hasty from time to time. But I think I'm gonna tune in next week as well to see how the storylines might be developping. I am just afraid that it's fairly predictable what is happening in the future. Girl gets over Bryce. Chuck gets girl. People head out to kill Chuck. Girl kills people. Secrets remain in Chuck's head. He keeps solving cases with girl. The end.
  • As lame as the whole setup of this show is, it's surprisingly very entertaining. I was not expecting to like this show based on the promos I've seen, but hey, it's got Adam Baldwin, any show with him is generally worth watching.

Probably the silliest of NBC's new shows is Chuck, an hour long action-comedy from Josh Schwartz (The O.C.) and McG (Charlie's Angels). This show is about Chuck Bartowski (Zachary Levi) who works at a Buy More Electronics store as the head of the Nerd Herd (think Best Buy's Geek Squad). When he receives an email out of the blue from his old college roommate who's now a CIA agent apparently gone rogue and dead, it downloads all the US government secrets into his head. The CIA and NSA are then at each others throats trying to recover this data.

In comes CIA agent Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strahovski) who first attempts to steal Chuck's computer while dressed as a ninja, minus much of the stealthiness, and then seduces him to discover the truth. In pursuit of Chuck from the NSA is John Casey (Adam Baldwin) who's more of the shoot first then ask questions type of agent. After Chuck and Sarah are pursued around town by John and other NSA agents, Chuck remembers something important and the three race off to save the day. Now it's Sarah and John's job to protect Chuck as he helps them on missions.

As lame as the whole setup of this show is, it's surprisingly very entertaining. McG's Charlie's Angels experience clearly shows here during the action scenes of this episode. It's very light hearted heavy action with bomb explosions, car crashes, and rooftop chases. There's hints of a more darker action drama show here but this will likely follow the more spy fun aspect that Charlie's Angels did and never take itself too seriously. And with the setup and support characters, it would be wise to do so.

I was not expecting to like this show based on the promos I've seen, but hey, it's got Adam Baldwin, any show with him is generally worth watching. With what looks to be a decent back-story to explore, just why did Chuck's old roommate and associate of Sarah blow up the super computer and send it all the Chuck, and how well did Sarah and said roommate know each other, this show has promise. I'll certainly be making to a point to check out this show this season.

rottendmotoes.com
  • Chuck gets an email from an old college buddy and winds up having CIA and NSA secrets imprinted on his brain

I decided to try this show out because I needed something to watch on Monday's. I occassionally flip on dancing with the Stars but i am not a Heroes or Prison Break girl so I decided to give this one a shot. I thought it was pretty good, not as good as the reviews said it would be but I think I will give it another try next week. I liked all the characters but the only problem I had with it was that I didn't love them. I think I will have to see if I get caught up in the story before I decide whether or not I will make this a permanent addition to my TV favorite shows.
  • Grows on you

I have to admit I was not planning to give this show a look at all. Since I have nothing to watch at 8pm est on Mondays I figured what the heck. I watched for about 10 minutes when they show began to grow on me. I know the concept is not believable but:

1. It's a comedy
    2. The Characters are great and very likeable

on top of it all Chuck gets this strange email from a person he hasn't heard from in a while and has all the Goverment secrets in the email which flash before Chuck's eyes. He slowly remembers these things and is tracked down by two agencies who for a moment want to kill him. Then Chuck decides to defuse a computer bomb with the new computer virus. All in sll I'd say a success in the first attempt and I will be back.
  • Now I know why I was so excited for Chuck

I now, exactly know why I was so over-excited for Chuck over the last 4 months, This is one of the most informative, action packed series premiere I have ever seen, it was totally crazy. Normally every pilot episode is boring, but Chuck was surprizingly VERY interesting. In no time whatsoever, we had car chases, karate chops and Chuck trying to seduce women lol. Chuck and Morgan are both very hilarious, they basically make the show worth watching. To draw closer to a cinclusion, Chuck: The Pilot was amazing, will definately be tuned in for Chuck Vs The Helicopter next week!
  • A silly yet entertaining new show.

This show doesn't want any more than to entertain the viewers by throwing in the silliest story arcs you can imagine. Unfortunately, it just feels incredibly forced at times.

Make no mistake, this was a pretty good pilot, but it just couldn't make me laugh, I was mostly smiling, but at some of the "big" jokes, I was just staring thinking "oh, is this meant to be fun?"

Now, on the upside, we have Captain Awesome. Come on, that was the best joke of the whole show. I loved it.

The main concept is pretty silly. Chuck receives an email which contains a long series of images, goverment secrets basically. By looking at them, his brain accepts the information, and, basically, Chuck becomes aware of everything the goverment is hiding or was hiding.

Really, the plot itself wasn't memorable at all. It was really cliché. But the characters make up for that. I definitely am tuning in to see more of Chuck, hoping there'll be improvements on the plot front.
  • Sure, at times the show seems to be filled with loopholes and confusion, but don't let that keep you from watching this quirky and superb one hour comedy, the first member of that genre that actually consistantly got me to laugh.

During the offseason, NBC had really been pushing Chuck to the fan base, so needless to say, I was pretty excited. I tivoed it and watched it two hours later, and all I can say is wow. The thing about Chuck, is that it doesn't take itself seriously at all, but instead wants to take a stereotypical action film, but instead make it into a quirky comedy. And it hits on all angles. Now, it is not without concerns. There are some minor loopholes about how Chucks info will stay updated, but yet none of that matters. This is not a show that is meant to be a perfect spy flick, but instead almost make fun of it. But the main reason to watch Chuck is that its cast is absolutely amazing. Chuck and Sara are too great up and coming actors, and the sister (and of course Captain Awesome) also brought their own laughs. So definitely tune into the pilot, and you'll likely be as hooked as me.
  • I was unsure of this show which doesn't feel terribly original, but the characters themselves are quite good.

With the exception of Adam Baldwin, whom I loved on Firefly, I haven't heard of any of these actors. Sometimes thats the best way to see a new show, as Chuck and his nerdy friend are quite fun. The caring sister is nice, and her boyfriend is very steryotypical, seemingly pulled right out of Scrubs. The hot agent and Mr. Baldwin who come looking for Chuck are all right in their roles, but the real stars that make the show fun, so far, are Chuck's fellow employees. A Nerdy bunch indeed, yet with fun rivals and silly antics, particularly his best friend. The action is well done, and the memory download is typical, but overall the cast seems to fit well, and I can see potential here. The pilot is always jacked up, so hopefully the stories and characters can continue as well as they have in the first episode.
  • Well done. Best new series of the season!

I really enjoyed this. It plays out like a movie. Good storytelling although the premise is a bit of a stretch. Good acting, a certain warmth to the characters, great sidekick, jokes that work, the whole ball of wax. And I like previews at the end! This is simply good old-fashion tv when producers, directors, talent, et al, knew what they were doing and were hired based on genuine capability.

I like that the main character works at a warehouse store like Fry's. I guess that's becoming the in thing because they did that with the 40-Year Old virgin.

I look forward to the next episode. PS - I think it's way better than convoluted Heroes!
  • I couldn't sit thru the first 90 seconds.

This is absolute crap. The worst thing about television is coming to life. After the first 90 seconds, which held no interest whatsoever, I kept watching, hoping for some kind of redeeming quality. Alas, wasted my time. No comedy, no story, this is the reason why I have to wait over and over for TV to finally come up with something. Anybody related to this production should be shot. And I know it wont last more than the first few episodes that the advertisers paid for. When it does die, I will be dancing. The only reason I keep on writing, is I have to do 100 words minimum. What a complete waste of time. Amen.

Oh and by the way, I tried to give it a 0.1 score, but I wasn't able to. So consider my score a negative number.
  • Very interesting.

Very interesting show. The special effects can sometimes seem really cheesy, but otherwise the action and comedy are well though out and great. Funny storyline which is well written and worth watching the hour for. NBC really has an impressive schedule for Monday this year after watching all of my Monday recordings it takes me 4 hours to completely watch all of my shows from 7pm-11:30pm. These shows include How I Met Your Mother, Chuck, Heroes, Journeyman, Two and a Half Men, and The Big Bang Theory. I have enjoyed all of these shows and the three new shows, Chuck, Journeyman, and The Big Bang Theory are both really great.
1 2 >