Cluedo

ITV (ended 1993)

Cluedo Fan Reviews (4)

• The ultimate 'Whodunnit' with an amazing cast and an incredibly wide appeal for audiences of all ages.

Who could ever forget playing games of Cluedo with family and friends and trying to figure out who did it, where they did it and with what implement? Was it Mrs. Peacock in the kitchen with the dagger? Perhaps Miss Scarlett in the library with the poison? Or even the most Reverend Green in the dining room with the candlestick? Whoever it was it was always entertaining and always amusing as well as making you think all the way through.

With actors that included David McCallum, Tom Baker and Kate O' Mara among others it was always superbly acted and wonderfully written.

A truly fun show that everybody should watch if they ever get a chance at a series of re-runs.
  • Whodunit? Mrs. Peacock with the dagger in the library? Reverend Green with the candlestick in the billiard room? Or Miss Scarlett with the lead piping in the study?

This is one of the shows I remember quite fondly from when I was growing up and watched avidly and one I still have something of a soft spot for. The idea behind it is quite clever: a live action version of the boardgame Cluedo. Of course, there had already been a film version done (starring Tim Curry, Madeline Khan and Christopher Lloyd amongst others) so this was done on a smaller scale.

Each episode followed the same format. There would be a prerecorded insert which showed the lead-up to the murder- explaining the suspects' possible motives for offing the unpleasant character, usually showing them fondling one of the suspected weapons in a sinister manner- and the revelation that the character was dead. It would then move to the studio where the two teams would get to cross-examine the characters (whether this was all scripted or if there was room to improvise, I don't know) upon which there would be a guess at the killer, the room and the weapon. After the commercial break, 'new' evidence (another prerecorded insert) would be shown, followed by more questioning and then a final accusation before the murderer would confess beneath the spotlight.

Running for four seasons- plus a Christmas special in 1990- the show attracted some well-known people to play the six suspects, including Stephanie Beacham and Rula Lenska as Mrs. Peacock, Lewis Collins and Michael Jayston as Colonel Mustard, Lysette Anthony and Toyah Willcox as Miss Scarlett, David McCallum and Tom Baker as Professor Plum, June Whitfield and Joan Sims as Mrs. White and Richard Wilson and Nicholas Parsons as Reverend Green.

Personally I feel the second season (with Lenska and Jayston) was the best in terms of acting. The fourth season was just insane, featuring such potential weapons as a G-string, a flamethrower, broken glass and a battery charger! Nonetheless, it was and still remains an enjoyable show which should be brought back.
  • Was it Mrs Peacock with the dagger in the billiard room? Reverend Green with the candlestick in the library? Or Miss Scarlett with the lead piping in the study?