Coach

Sleepless in Orlando

Aired Wednesday 9:30 PM Sep 28, 1996 on ABC

7.2
  • This is a prime example that the series, Coach, lasted about two or three seasons too long. This episode is just plain silly and totally out of character.

Coach was one of my all time favorite shows. I thought the time that Hayden, Christine, Luther and Dauber spent at Minnesota State were priceless. I guess the writers were running out of ideas so they decided to Jump Shark and move Hayden and his coaching staff to professional football. When Hayden Fox and his assistants began coaching for the Orlando Breakers, the integrity and humor of this great show left as well. This episode, Sleepless in Orlando, had to be one of the worst of the entire series, and just as cheesy as the episode name. In the episode, for some reason, Hayden invites his coaches over to the house where he is in charge of babysitting for the day and so instead of using a chalkboard or dry erase board to draw up plays, Hayden decides to use his infant's zoo animals to draw up plays. I guess it was suppose to be funny when Hayden says, "Use the play where the Walrus runs up the middle." The last scene of the show in which Hayden is sleep deprived, trying to coach a professional football game, is so awful that it makes me cringe. After Dauber tells him 4 times that he doesn't have any timeouts left, Hayden takes a timeout and then wants to run a play using the zoo animals. If you are a big fan of Coach, do yourself a favor and rent the first two seasons on DVD and skip the last two awful seasons.