Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Forums

Mainichi Broadcasting System (ended 2008)

Lelouch personality vs. Suzaku personality

Who is your favorite?

someguy0830

[21]Jun 2, 2008
    • level: 27
    If I had to base it on just that criteria, it would naturally be Suzaku. Limiting it to simply a matter of direct trust pretty much negates Lelouch. The counterpoint to this is who would you trust to get things done? Which would be the better choice to accomplish a shared goal?

The thing about supporting the Iraq war is it's more or less an opinion of the state of things. Lelouch and Suzaku's political involvement shapes them as characters. If you cut it out, then you're removing the core of their motivations.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jedidiyah

[22]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 4

Not just trust, but smaller things as well. Like having a conversation without constantly guarding for wisecrack remarks as in Lelouch vs. Leval. Getting things done and accomplishing shared goals applies more to coworkers or teammates than friends. I myself would prefer Lelouch for a boss. But if your answer to the friend question is Suzaku then according to the intent of the above poll your vote is for him.

And let me explain myself better on politics and personality. I do not dispute that politics shapes their characters and that to understand their psychology we have to understand their ideology and their past. Or even that their political and military moves are essential to judging their personalities. I used them myself as ingredients when talking about Lelouch and Suzaku (first SAZ, technicians, million prize, etc). But in the end, it is personalities as they are that we are judging here. Not what explains them or forms them or justifies them, not personal history, not ideology, not how realistic or successful it is. All those things are important in understanding their personalities but not in judging them.

Edited on 06/02/2008 11:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.

someguy0830

[23]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 27
    That's a point we'll have to disagree on then. I feel that trying to judge them without the underlying motivation defeats the purpose. Sure, Suzaku's a likable guy because he values life, but one has to respect Lelouch for his conviction, as well, despite his willingness to break a few eggs, as it were.

Narutkid12

[24]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 3
    I have to say Lelouch because he leads people from the front lines of war that what makes a true leader

kur4lvl4

[25]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 6
    Jedidiyah wrote:

Well, I tried to explain above that personality-wise Lelouch is not a 'good guy' at all. Not that it makes him less attractive to me as a leader, but then again I am also attracted to Light Yagami. As for your second comment, it concerns ideology and politics, not personality. It makes me wonder how many people project thier approval of Lelouch's rebellion and similarly their rejection of Suzaku's appeasement, onto their personalities.

to tell u the truth i would have went with suzaku all the way if his way is effective. again lulu did eaphie real bad i think that was completely wrong but he has alot of chance of succeedin. suzaki is the way everyone want the world to do. solve conflicts by words but that is not how it is.

Jedidiyah

[26]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 4

Narutkid12 wrote:
    I have to say Lelouch because he leads people from the front lines of war that what makes a true leader
    kur4lvl4 wrote:
    to tell u the truth i would have went with suzaku all the way if his way is effective.

But we are discussing whose personality is more attractive, not who is a leader or more effective at that. Hitler and Stalin were pretty effective leaders but sucked as people.

kur4lvl4

[27]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 6
    Jedidiyah wrote:

Narutkid12 wrote:
    kur4lvl4 wrote:
    to tell u the truth i would have went with suzaku all the way if his way is effective.

But we are discussing whose personality is more attractive, not who is a leader or more effective at that. Hitler and Stalin were pretty effective leaders but sucked as people.

i will probably say suzaku then. he ain't always stuck up in the past.

Absarroth

[28]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 5
    kur4lvl4 wrote:
    Jedidiyah wrote:

Narutkid12 wrote:
    kur4lvl4 wrote:

i will probably say suzaku then. he ain't always stuck up in the past.

I would probably say Suzaku too. The way Zero sacrificed so many and disregarded them so quickly just draws me away from him. Suzakus not perfect either but he does seem to be more humane than Lelouch. Most of the time.

ultimadavalon

[29]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 9
    Lellouch's personality rocks , "that's a personal opinion , i just like having a double mixed up personalities .
    suzako was a big stuck-up in the past ,specially around lellouch .

Absarroth

[30]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 5

ultimadavalon wrote:
    Lellouch's personality rocks , "that's a personal opinion , i just like having a double mixed up personalities . suzako was a big stuck-up in the past ,specially around lellouch .

Then I guess I know who would like to be friends with a schiziophrenic!

ultimadavalon

[31]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 9
    Absarroth wrote:

Then I guess I know who would like to be friends with a schiziophrenic!

Me or the other me ?

ragnarok724

[32]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    Lelouch and Suzaku are both driven by deep-seated psychological issues Their ideologies are reflections of their inner turmoil. Lelouch is not a very likable person. He is somewhat cold, distant and arrogant. Deep down, he cares about people. He doesn't seem to truly want to hurt anyone but the royal family of Britannia. One of the main problems is the dichotomy between his dueling purposes. Is he trying to remove his tyrannical father from power to make the world a better place or is he just trying to make them pay for the suffering his mother, sister and himself experienced. He is so obsessed that he has a tendency to disregard whoever gets in the way. Suzaku on the other hand, seems hopelessly naive and guilt-ridden. He is much kinder than Lelouch but his "work from within " isn't getting him anywhere. Nothing changes. I just don't see him having a long term plan like Lelouch. It could even be argued that Lelouch as Zero made Suzaku. Without the efforts of Zero, Suzaku wouldn't have gained much recognition. If they could have worked together from the beginning, with one inside man and one outside they problem could have sown chaos and be more productive causing a real revolution.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[33]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 47

I haven't read the entire thread, I prefer Suzaku. It's unfortunate that Lelouch had to be the main character because I both prefer Suzaku's politics and have him as a friend. First off he would have eventually risen in rank enough to become the highest ranking knight, allowing him control over any area, which he would have chosen Japan. I can already see the counter arguments being made for this; if it wasn't for Zero in the first place he wouldn't have risen in rank, and they would doubt anything would have still changed. Well honestly, replace Zero with any great general in all of history. Napoleon, Hitler Gengis Khan, Alexander. I doubt they would have gotten as far with the Black Knights. The Geass is a power greater than that of the FLEIA; in our modern world Suzaku's approach would have been much better than Lelouch's. When you consider Lelouch's politics, you have to consider he's doing it with the help of his geass. If Suzaku had the geass, his politics would have been so much more easier to achieve. Strip away Lelouch's geass and the Black Knight rebellion would have lasted years and years.

This method no lives are lost, and it seems some people are angry with him that he betrayed Lelouch but seem to ignore that Lelouch has done this method a thousand more times. Lelouch on the other hand is just as unstable emotionally as Suzaku. Abandoning your entire rebellion in favour of your sister? That warrants capital punishment. It also got you caught. Plus if you were useful, he would use you. Of course he put on a tyranical facade to hide that he truly cared for all his friends, but honestly I'd hate to feel like I was being used. There are some people here siding with Lelouch just because he's the main character. Though I choose Suzaku, even though Lelouch is still a great personality himself.

Edited on 10/06/2008 2:05am
    Edited 2 total times.

Maylene

[34]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    Jedidiyah wrote:
    kur4lvl4 wrote:
    Suzaku's methods are cruel and will do anything to acheive his goal even if it is to betray a friend, after all he killed his father. Lulu is better... I wonder of Lulu will end up like Light Yagami. I hope not cause at least he is more good than Suzaku.

Shard2005 wrote:
    While Suzaku has become more and more inhuman, Lelouch has done the exact opposite and started caring about people other than his sister. I think that Lelouch has seen how valuable Rollo can be...

I am not sure I understand how Suzaku's methods are cruel since he constantly refuses to strike even at his enemies. And does all he can to protect innocents. Perhaps, in a stupid way but where is the cruelty? "Suzaku just saved a million people and nobody thanked him", does this sound inhuman? But let me address Suzaku's supposed 'betrayal'. It is a convenient interpretation for Lelouch, who is in denial of what he did. Let's not forget the context here.

Suzaku confronts Zero/Lelouch after witnessing a massacre of thousands of people topped with Lelouch executing Euphie (his love presumably) with his own hands. Then he is told by VV about the geass. Since he does not know about the malfunction he can only assume that Lelouch planned it: manipulated Euphie into ordering this massacre and then killed her when she played her part. I think he is quite justified in feeling that he is facing a monster:"You hide in the dark and give responsibility to others, arrogant and sly". Even then he lowers his gun and listens. What does Lelouch reply? "I am the guy who is about to take over the world". Then he tries to send him on a guilt trip and finally threatens to blow up everything (including Kaleen, his trooper) with sakuradite. "You betrayed the world at the very last minute. And now the world will betray you". Even then he hesitates and ultimately spares his former friend's life. This is no more a betrayal than a cop arresting (or even killing) his brother, who became a twisted killer and promises to keep up the good work (followed by an immediate demonstration).

Then of course he 'sells him out' to the emperor. Hm, if you do not kill a criminal on the spot aren't you supposed to bring him in? To the highest authority in this case. What else is he supposed to do. And Suzaku also knows that Charles is Lelouch's father. Yes, he asks for becoming a Knight of Round in return. The request is a direct consequence of the "Live on" command given by... Lelouch. Suzaku blames himself for not arresting Zero earlier and preventing all the bloodshed. If he is to "live on" he needs to live with it and do what he can to make up for it, hence the request.
    Shard2005 wrote:
    Lelouch is not so intent to hate and throw away Rollo. In fact, he is constantly reassuring him that he will keep his promise to insure his life at the school...I think that Lelouch has seen how valuable Rollo can be...

If you recall he was giving the same 'reassurances' right before revealing his real thoughts. The whole deal with Rollo is based on Zero giving him "new life". So he has to make his 'reassurances' regardless and they do not resolve the issue one way or the other. True, there was some change in his character in Discarded Mask. But I think you are more on the spot with Rollo's 'value'. As long as Lulu can use him (or anyone) he might even protect him. But do you seriously believe that he would hesitate to sacrifice him to one of his schemes if necessary?

Power corrupts and Lelouch was seeking it even before he got geass. I do think he will go down the same path that Light Yagami traversed before him. Lelouch had a rendezvouz with his future when he met Mao. But he did not take heed as far as I can tell. I believe CC was speaking for the author when she said at the end of the first season: "What's blocking Lelouch is the past he created. It's the hate between people."

Thank you for that. I'm quite surprised that people see Suzaku as "cruel" when I see it the other way around. I like Suzaku and Lelouch, but on which side I'm on, it's going to have to be Suzaku's. Call me the naive "moron" but I don't believe the end justifies the means; and if they do, they don't justify the "meanness." Call it elementary, but I believe it's true. Lelouch didn't even realize that he could be hurting the ones close to him indirectly, like with Shirley and the death of her father. And while there was no way around Euphemia's ordeal, since it was an accident, I find it low that he would marr her reputation like that. Not to mention, before he even agreed to help her and work together with her, he was going to frame her by committing suicide. That's some nice thing to do, to the sister he supposedly loves after Nunnally. This all started b'cuz he wanted to make a world where Nunnally could live peacefully--she was first and foremost, not the Elevens/Japanese. Isn't that somewhat selfish?

vikkimae27

[35]May 19, 2009
    • level: 3
    Lelouch has a better personality than Suzaku. Both of them are dedicated to people. For Suzaku it is Britannia, and for Lelouch, it is Nunally. Neither of them are perfect however. But Lelouch is at least able to admit his mistakes while Suzaku acts like he is innocent. Lelouch is at least trying to do what is best for the majority, not just for himself.

-XxAnonymousXx-

[36]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    I would rather have Suzaku for a friend and Lelouch for a lover, haha ^^
    Edited on 06/10/2009 7:31am