Cold Case

Blood on the Tracks

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 18, 2007 on CBS

• In 1981 a gas explosion occurs at a house killing two people. In 2007, as the house is being renovated, pieces of a bomb are found. The explosion was not an accident. Lilly and the team investigate.

"Blood on the Tracks" is one of the more entertaining episodes of the season. What contributes to this episode's appeal is the good acting by all characters and the well written script. A slight flaw is the twist ending. It wasn't that much of a suprise considering that subtle hints had been dropped in key points of the episode. Also, the story of this episode was somewhat recycled from a 1987 film titled "Running on Empty." However, this is just a minor flaw and it does not take away from the entertainment value of this episode. An episode worth seeing.
  • When a part of a bomb is found in the basement of where two people were killed in 1981 in an explosion, the team believes that the explosion was not accidental as thought, but a planned murder.

7.4
    Jack and Johanna Kimbell were happily married in 1981. They were Vietnam War activists in 1971. In 1971, Jack and Johanna were a part of a bombing that got their friend killed. In 1981, their house explodes with them inside.

Eh, this was a bit boring. I mean, basically they're just flashbacks to talk about the past. The most important part of the story is McBride dying in the bombing, but yet there's basically nothing about him, except that he was Sarah's boyfriend.

And the "twist" at the end was hardly a twist. I knew what was going to happen when they first started talking about it in the beginning. It was so phony, like no one would notice through the course of 25 years? Yeah, okay.

The storyline was so-so in the sense that it bored the crap out of me.
  • Bob Dylan episode! Personal fave!

When explosives are found in the house of a now murdered couple back in 1981 as the case takes a bunch of twists and turns as I have to agree with the one reviewer before me as this is one of my favorite episodes. Not a big Bob Dylan fan but his music really hit a nerve in this episode. The DA was trying to lie in order to win a case. As we also see the LT with his four-year old grandson. Very touching!
  • This was one of my favorite episodes

One of my favorite movies of all time is "Return to Paradise" with Vince Vaughn and Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix's character is on death row for a drug charge in Malaysia and the only way for him to be saved is if his two friends share responsibility on the drug charge and go to jail. This episode reminded me of that movie. The group of friends had to decide whether or not to come clean about their friend's death. If they did, they would go to jail. If they didn't, they would be miserable and have to live with their guilt. There is a real moral dilemma in this episode. What would you do if you were in that situation? Like "Return to Paradise" it really makes you think. The twist at the end was good too. The acting was great as usual. Even though this episode might be considered somewhat slow compared to other episodes, this is one my favorites. The writing, the acting and directing was superb. I felt like I was watching a four-star movie when I was watching this episode. It didn't feel like a TV show at all, which really speaks volumes. Cold Case became my favorite show at the beginning of the 4th season, and it just keeps getting better. I watch reruns of the 2nd season sometimes on TNT, and this show has definitely improved a ton.