Cold Case Forums

CBS (ended 2010)

Cold Case Theme song

Grillas80

[1]May 2, 2006
    • level: 2
    Does anybody know what the Theme song is and who does it?
    Edited on 06/02/2008 5:03am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Talvix

[2]May 2, 2006
    • level: 52
    See the notes for the first episode: "The Cold Case opening theme song is Nara by E.S. Posthumus."

Cosmos1990

[3]May 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    The song is excellent. I just wanted to say that. You know how it starts off with a sort of cry, a yell almost as if it comes from the souls of those who are uneasy, because they're in limbo, and considering the theme of the show, its from those whose cases rest uneasy...thats just my opinion. Its comes (forgive me for the corny term) from the heart.

pogfan919

[4]May 12, 2006
    • level: 5
    I agree, the theme song is perfect for the show.

Evvis

[5]May 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    Every E.S. Posthumus song is good.

JPPT1974

[6]May 27, 2006
    • level: 50

Evvis wrote:
    Every E.S. Posthumus song is good.

I think that they are going to release Cold Case theme song on their second cd upcoming out this year!

jlane700

[7]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 1

I read the message about the Theme song being Nara by E.S. Posthumus but I am not sure if that is what I am looking for.  I heard a song at the end of one episode that had words something about "a missing note" and a rather sad "hallaluah".  Is that the same song and if not does anyone know the name of the song.  I did see something in the credits related to music about a Michael A. Levine but can't find music by him anywhere.  HELP PLEASE!  I love the song.       Thanks,   jlane700@verizon.net

Talvix

[8]Jun 2, 2006
    You are probably thinking about the song Hallelujah, performed by John Cale in the episode 3-20: Death Penalty: Final Appeal. It's been one of the most popular songs in many TV shows within the last two or three years, the most often-heard covers being performed by Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright. But there are numerous other versions. This is *not* the theme song because there are no illegible lyrics in the theme song.

jlane700

[9]Jun 2, 2006

Thank you so much!  You made my evening.  Now I have to see if it is something I can purchase. (?)  This is one of my favorite shows and that song has been driving me crazy for awhile now.

steamheaduk

[10]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 19
    You can get it on iTunes, BUT it's not exactly the same version as the TV theme.  Doesn't start with the same cry but does have the main melody a bit further in.

philly_boxman

[11]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 3

steamheaduk wrote:
    You can get it on iTunes, BUT it's not exactly the same version as the TV theme. Doesn't start with the same cry but does have the main melody a bit further in.

I found this interview with Michael A. Levine, the show's composer, and it seems that cry at the beginning was something he added on to E.S. Posthumus' music:

http://www.scoremagacine.com/Entrevistas_eng_det.php?Codigo=29
    "...there was a fantastic woman playing the piano and singing, named Elise
    Morris. Many years later she sang the distinctive vocal introduction to
    the 'Cold Case' theme for me."

Edited on 06/20/2006 12:44am

Winther_sanna

[12]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 12
    Does anyone know where to download this theme song? It's beautiful!

oceanova

[13]Oct 29, 2006

there was a female version of "hallelujah" used in Cold Case, i think it was the death penalty episode, every one mentions Jeff or Rufus but i'm looking for this version, had a feeling it might of been alanis morrisette? can anyone help?

Talvix

[14]Oct 30, 2006
    oceanova wrote:
    there was a female version of "hallelujah" used in Cold Case, i think it was the death penalty episode

No, there wasn't. The version used on Cold Case was sung by John Cale.

But I hear there was a female version of "Hallelujah" on Numbers couple of weeks ago. This was asked in last week's Ask Ausiello:

Ask Ausiello wrote:
    Question: At the end of last Friday's Numbers, there was a female version of "Hallelujah." I've been trying to find out who it was, but I've exhausted all the avenues I know. Can you tell me who it is? — Mary Ann
    Ausiello: That would be ms. kd lang.

Maybe this is the song you're looking for?

x3sierra

[15]Oct 30, 2006
    wuts the site to find theme songs for shows

Syd_CB

[16]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 15
    You can download a .WAV version of the theme song at http://themes.wavethemes.net/themt-c3.htm - just scroll down- the list is in alphabetical order.

It's a great site where you can download .WAV files of the theme song from nearly any show you can think of. If a series had more than one theme song, you might find both versions. You can even find the song that plays over the ending credits for a lot of shows. There are seperate sections for live/primetime shows and anime/cartoon shows.

Edited on 11/05/2006 7:18pm

BabyKitten199

[17]Nov 7, 2006
    Talvix wrote:
    You are probably thinking about the song Hallelujah, performed by John Cale in the episode 3-20: Death Penalty: Final Appeal. It's been one of the most popular songs in many TV shows within the last two or three years, the most often-heard covers being performed by Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright. But there are numerous other versions. This is *not* the theme song because there are no illegible lyrics in the theme song.

Wasn't "Hallelujah" also in Shrek?

BabyKitten199

[18]Nov 7, 2006
    Talvix wrote:
    See the notes for the first episode: "The Cold Case opening theme song is Nara by E.S. Posthumus."

I find it delightfully ironic that the last name of the singer who performs the "Cold Case" theme song is named Posthumus since 'posthumous' means "occuring after one's death" & they solve all of the cases so long after the victim has died. I never really considered the theme to be a song, but I always thought that the somber cries of the singer were supposed to represent the death call of the victims. (Yeah, that sounds a little lame but that's what I thought, lol.)

bia06

[19]Nov 27, 2006
    I really like it too. It is heavy! Wonderful

Drakkenfyre

[20]Jun 2, 2008

"Hallelujah" was written by Leonard Cohen. It's been covered by lots of people, most of whom snip some lyrics out or choose some from the original and some from his live version recorded at Austin City Limits.

John Cale covered "Hallelujah" on the wonderful Leonard Cohen tribute album "I'm Your Fan" and it's the version that's in Shrek.

Then Rufus Wainwright covered it, and it's his version that's on the Shrek soundtrack album. Something about Cale's rights not being free for the album.

Jeff Buckley covered it, and I think it's one of the most beautiful moments in the history of music.

As Talvix mentioned, k.d. lang also covered it. And, according to Wikipedia, so have a few others:

"Among the other musicians who have recorded covers of this song released on CD are: Italian singer Elisa from her album "Lotus", Maxwell Murder of Saturday's Car Ride Home, Rea Garvey of Reamonn, Alex Lloyd, Sephira, Adam Nikkel, Keren Ann, Willie Nelson, Beefy, Bono, Bon Jovi, Blake, Bret Darby, Clare Bowditch, Fred Eaglesmith, Steve Acho, Allison Crowe, Patricia O'Callaghan, Jackie Greene, Julie Felix, Damien Leith, Anthony Michael Hall [2], Bettie Serveert, Kenny Zhao, John Owen-Jones, Custard, k d lang, Kevin Max, Gord Downie, Simple Plan, Gov't Mule, Steffen Brandt/Tina Dickow (in Danish translation), K's Choice, Enrique Morente (flamenco version, translated to Spanish), Street to Nowhere, Wayne Whittaker, the Prayerbabies, Kevin Christy, Kathryn Williams, Lucky Jim, Over the Rhine, Pat Terlizzi, Myrra Malmberg, Susanna and the Magical Orchestra, Michael Wolff, The Brown Derbies, Imogen Heap, Popa Chubby, Jimm Zombie, Joe Wilson, Kristian Meurman (in Finnish), Hilary Scott, The Choir of Hard Knocks and Kate Voegele.

"Counting live performances, the list of artists who have performed "Hallelujah" includes: Glen Hansard of The Frames, K.D. Lang, Spoon, Joel Sprayberry Band, The Teamakers, Nick Hrenchuk, Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge, Kate Voegele, RRRadio Gee, Ari Hest, Chris Frank, Betty Buckley, Brandi Carlile, Bob Dylan, Connie Champagne, Caamora, Doug Parmenter, Howie Day, Gavin DeGraw, Dave Dobbyn, The Dresden Dolls, Chris Clonts, Damien Rice, David Ford, Peter Mulvey, Jay Clifford, Mike Winger, Tim Minchin, Regina Spektor, Starsailor, Donna Lynne Champlin, Rodney Harris, Todd Carey, Pain of Salvation, Sheryl Crow, Tristin Roberts, James Yarsky, Jeff Waters, at17, Jeff Martin of The Tea Party, David Bazan (of Pedro the Lion), Zach Condon (of Beirut), Emily Johnson, and Thierry Amiel."

And that's not even the whole list. It's a great song.