Cold Case Forums

CBS (ended 2010)

Dvd Info

Talvix

[21]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 52
    "Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title."

That's exactly what the page has been saying for several years. The DVD's are not out and they're not even considering releasing them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

iluvgilmore7791

[22]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 19
    Alot of shows have problem releasing dvds because of the music/

david02917

[23]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 6
    7 months later i am asking again Please release this show on DVD!

dm3588

[24]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 3

Talvix wrote:
    "Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title." That's exactly what the page has been saying for several years. The DVD's are not out and they're not even considering releasing them.

Have you entered your e-mail address and voted? I have. Maybe it won't do much good, but at least it's a way of putting some pressure on the studio. Every little bit helps.

And I can't actually find exactly where it says "Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title". What I see is: "Availability: Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." And that's it. Nothing else. If they've changed the message, maybe that means they're finally getting somewhere. Maybe the artists whose songs are used in the show have finally, finally, realized that allowing their songs to be used on the DVD will be good business - that instead of just watching the episode once, hearing the song once, and forgetting it immediately, people will hear their songs over and over again on the DVD, decide they like them, and then decide to buy them on CD. Maybe our long wait is finally over.

Of course, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. But then, I can dream, can't I?

Talvix

[25]Oct 18, 2007
    dm3588 wrote:
    What I see is: "Availability: Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." And that's it. Nothing else. If they've changed the message, maybe that means they're finally getting somewhere.

Amazon has revamped the site since July. I checked a couple of other shows not available on DVD (and not likely to be released) and they all say the same thing.

You can keep an eye on the DVD status also on TVShowsOnDVD.com. So far, even they don't have any indication that the studio is working on releasing them.

geminigirl21

[26]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 12

The studio's not even trying. I realize that it's hard to get the rights to all the great music they use on this show, but it's not like they're the only show in that situation! Others manage to get the rights. It's just a case of the studio thinking that the show's not a monster hit and so there's no point in going through the hassle. It really sucks, but that's the way it is. If you want to have the show available to watch over and over again you just have to tape it.

Sorry for how cynical I sound here, it's just everytime somebody asks this question it reminds me of how sucky a situation it is and how much it pisses me off.

liondagger

[27]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 4

It's not a question of not trying.

Whenever a show or film uses music, TV/film clips, photographs or other copyright-protected material, they pay a licensing fee for its use. Today, home video is usually included in the licensing negotiations, which is why so many other shows find their way to DVD so quickly.

But when Cold Case first aired, the home video market for television series was on the brink of taking off, but it was still in its formative stages. Remember, there was a time when most shows *weren't* on DVD or VHS. No one knew that it would become such a lucrative market. On top of that, Cold Case is much more music-heavy than most shows, so they likely already pay quite a bit of money for its use. So home video wasn't included in the licensing negotiations 4-5 years ago in order for them to afford the songs they already use. Just like it wasn't for Wonder Years, another music-heavy show not available on DVD.

Today, now that they know the show is a success and the DVD market is so lucrative, I'm sure that home video is included in the licensing negotiations. So they can probably release the more recent seasons on DVD. But then if they, say,release Season 3 without releasing 1 and 2... well, people'd be confused and even more frustrated.

geminigirl21

[28]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 12
    That's interesting, I didn't know that. But honestly, getting one season to me is better than getting none, so I'd take it.

emmiimcr

[29]Nov 8, 2007
    I'm never going to see all the episodes...

charley28

[30]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 66
    yeah you will you just got to watch them on TNT on Tuesday nights when they run in marathons.

as far as the music rights, they may be true but if that is true about them, how is it that they have the music on the shows in the first place. I mean they've had to contact the musicians initially to use their music to begin with. If they've got the rights when to use it, that would still make the rights good. I mean they've done it with Charmed and they were all kinds of musicans that were on the show especially when Piper got P3 up and going.

pealee_83

[31]Nov 21, 2007
    • level: 19
    I think it has something to do with the rights to use them in DVD sales. They have the right to use them in the ep but not in the sale of DVDs. Talvix is that right??

Talvix

[32]Nov 22, 2007
    I don't know the details but from what I understand of the music licensing business, they have to clear the rights separately for different kinds of distribution deals. Just because they have the rights to play the music on the television broadcast doesn't mean they can then use the same music on DVD's or online.

There was one incidence last year with Day Break (which got pulled off the air before all episodes were broadcast on TV). ABC was supposed to put the finale episode online on a specific date but that got postponed for music rights issues. Apparently, the song they'd intended to use during the last scenes couldn't be played in the online version -- they'd cleared the TV broadcast rights but not online distribution rights. They had to eventually replace the song and re-do the music editing for the episode before they could put it online.

crystal_c1990

[33]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 4

As everyone has said it's taking forever because the music rights. Although if you have missed any episodes you can try youtube.com They normally have episodes post for you to watch, some quick recaps as well. As for me I have Cold Case on DVD. I'm not usre if I should say it out over this whole thread, because I'd hate to put against Cold Case when it comes on to DVD's. So message me privatly & I'll tell you & only you. Just for the sake of Cold Case

-Crystal

cathgil

[34]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 16
    music rights!!??? I thought that would only be a problem with old show that were on tv. a while ago like china beach. *which isn't on dvd either* CSI uses alot of music and it is on DVD. i wonder if it has to do if how popular it is. if a show is poruarl they will make the money up right a way. I'm not saying cold case is not popular show. It's who ever is putting it to dvd.

dm3588

[35]Mar 13, 2008

cathgil wrote:
    music rights!!??? I thought that would only be a problem with old show that were on tv. a while ago like china beach. *which isn't on dvd either* CSI uses alot of music and it is on DVD. i wonder if it has to do if how popular it is. if a show is poruarl they will make the money up right a way. I'm not saying cold case is not popular show. It's who ever is putting it to dvd.

A big part of it is that for most shows, if an artist doesn't want their music on the DVD for whatever reason, the show can usually just pick a different song to use on the DVD. Cold Case can't do that. The music isn't just abundant, it's specific. An episode from the eighties uses music from the eighties (which isn't too difficult to find), and an episode from the twenties uses music from the twenties (which is very difficult to find). So artists can charge the producers a lot more money than usual for music rights(especially for music for older cases) because they know Cold Case doesn't have anywhere else to turn.

emmiimcr

[37]Jun 7, 2008
    I think the artists just hate us Cold Case fans.

luckydagangsta

[38]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 8

Ahhh.. I've always hated the fact that the music people make the people that use there music in anything have to pay them a huge amount of money. It's just pure greed. They make enough money from cd sales, but if they have a way of getting more they will.

I mean, it's one thing for someone to steal their music and use it as their own, but this is completely different. And yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's all because of copy right. But I don't see the big deal if they give the writers credit. If anything, I think it's a great opportunity for them to make more money. I can't remember how many songs I heard on this show that introduced me to an artist I previously wouldn't have cared less about.

If the DVDs are ever released the music will almost certainly be changed. That just means they lost my hundred dollars. I can easily get the episode just the way it is in excellent quality without anyone getting a penny from me. And because of that, they can do whatever they wish.

eowyn118

[39]Sep 12, 2008
    its already season 6 and the dvd is still not out yet..... when it will be release after 48 years?

genaldar

[40]Oct 7, 2008
    Its not the artists, its the rights holders. Most of the time the artists have no control over there music. Look at the Beatles, they don't even own their own catalog.