Cold Case

Thrill Kill

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 23, 2007 on CBS

• The Power of Fear: Lilly reopens the case of three children who were murdered after one of the people convicted hangs himself in prison. She unconvers more evidence that the boys may have been framed. But who is the real murderer?

Despite being mildly cheesy and contrived, this episode was a pretty good look at how society can be whipped into a frenzy, and how the desire to restore normalacy can sometimes lead to corner cutting. The revelation that it was the seemingly normal father of one of the victims who is the real killer nails the point home well; a lot of the time the psychopaths and monsters are people who seem perfectly normal. While the kid who was convicted is free, it's bittersweet in a way. He was in prison for thirteen years, and won't be getting those years back. Plus it ultimately took his friend killing himself to get people to listen and reopen the case. Just how many people who were wrongfully convicted because of hysteria are still in there? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid who was convicted sued the Jackass cop who put him in there. I know I would.
ION