Columbo Forums

NBC (ended 2003)

Do you prefer a sympathetic murderer, or an arrogant jerk?

Miracleman1

[1]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 8

Most of the murderers on Columbo were arrogant jerks, and it was kind of fun to watch them get taken down by Lt. Columbo. However, once in a while there was a murderer who came off as relatively sympathetic. They were otherwise decent people who were driven to desperate measures by their victims (Johnny Cash in “Swan Song & Donald Pleasence in “Any Old Port in a Storm” come to mind).

For me it’s not as much fun to watch an episode with a sympathetic murderer because I find myself almost rooting for them. Obviously though, I know they’re not gonna get away with it in the end, so it’s kind of a bummer.

Edited on 08/07/2006 4:21pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Diogo22

[2]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 15
    jack Cassidy was fantastic in all 3, although my favourite is the magician one. always a jerk, and always wonderfully evil

AprilFox

[3]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 109
    The biography channel had a marathon of Columbo on last weekend. It was great there were some I haven't seen since they originally aired.

SistaGal1966

[4]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 2

My favorite sympathetic murder was Janet Leigh in "Forgotten Lady".   She plots to kill her husband because he refuses to finance her comback.  At first she seems quite devious and selfish,  that she is willing to resort to murder just to get what she wants. 

As Columbo starts to investigate the murder, he slowly realizes that there isn't something quite right with Janet.  He comes to find out that she has a terminal disease that affects not only her body but her mind, so much so, that she has absolutely no memory of the murder.

jamoon2006

[5]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 36

For me, it's gotta be the arrogant jerk. The scene in which they get their comeuppance is delicious after watching them pull off what they think is a perfect crime and look at Columbo as a guy who looks like he doesn't have a clue. Plus, it's in dealing with these killers that you see a much harder edge to Falk and to Columbo. Look at the scene in "An Exercise in Fatality" in the hospital when he calls out Milo Janus as a murderer in the middle of a crowded waiting room.

Robert Conrad, Jack Cassidy, Robert Culp, Patrick McGoohan, Dick Van Dyke William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Ross Martin...these are just some of the names that I would say fit into the "jerk" category.

Richiebcfc25

[6]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 47
    i love it when the arrogant ones get there comeupence

cherrytree34

[7]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 13
    Yeah, I have to agree. There's nothing like the RICH arrogant jerk who you know is looking down on Columbo's beat-up car and his old raincoat. It's just great when Columbo puts them in their places.