Columbo Forums

NBC (ended 2003)

Favorite episode

rerich

[1]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 5
    What is everyone's favorite episode of all? Or which one sticks out in your mind the most?

My favorite is the one with Johnny Cash. It is the only time I can remember that I was sorry Columbo solved the case. I think he was sorry too. Cash was probably the least scary or villainous of the murderers, but I liked it.

My second favorite is the woman who intends to kill Columbo's wife in revenge for sending her husband to jail. I loved seeing him eating that jam. I was sure he knew. Doesn't he always? And at the end he calls his wife and is talking to her. He had that exact note in his voice that I've heard from real-life partners who are still in love with each other. Boy can that man act. I don't believe that anyone could take his place.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GusF

[2]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 38
    "Ashes to Ashes" with Patrick McGoohan without a doubt. He was so creepy and sinister.

AprilFox

[3]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 108
    Boy that's a hard one, but I think "Deadly State of Mind" where George Hamilton hypnotizes Lesley Ann Warren into jumping off the balcony to her death. That was really creepy! And scary!

JPBuckner

[4]May 16, 2006
    • level: 5

Hard to narrow it down to one, but my favorite episodes would include...

"Death Lends a Hand", Robert Culp at his best, and the ending is a hoot.

"Negative Reaction", Dick Van Dyke makes a great murderer, and the way Columbo gets him to imcriminate himself is classic.

"Any Port in the Storm", the best in the 'sympathic' murderer vein.

"Forgotten Lady", the finest 'twist' the producers pull in the entire run, the ending is truly moving and unforgettable.

geoellis2

[5]May 20, 2006
    • level: 38
    'Columbo Goes to College' and 'A Bird in the Hand' both come to mind. The plots are what make them great, and Tyne Daley is magnificent in the latter.

Iceman5sps

[6]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 2

"Columbo Goes To College" always comes to mind, I love how those college students mock and imitate Columbo throughout the episode.

My favorite "original" Columbo episode is "Exerice in Fatality"; Columbo trying to keep up with Robert Conrad's exercise routine is classic!

Edited on 07/16/2006 7:25pm

lfc1892

[7]Oct 28, 2006
    • level: 2
    "Death Hits The Jackpot" is my favorite, just brilliant!!!!!

kuratowski

[8]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 8
    My all-time fave is from season 1 - "Short fuse".

"Any old port in a storm" gets honorable mention for the relationship between Columbo and the Donald Pleasance character. Also any of the eps with Robert Culp - he makes a great suspect and his scenes with Peter Falk are exactly what the show is about.

jamoon2006

[9]Jan 30, 2007
    • level: 36

Any of the three with Jack Cassidy ("Murder by the Book," "Publish or Perish," and "Now You See Him"). "Now You See Him" is probably my favorite, but Cassidy was such a great Columbo villain. He could barely contain his contempt and disdain for Columbo, and his face when he knew Columbo had him trapped was always priceless.

Other favorites are "Etude in Black" with John Cassavettes, "Suitable for Framing" with Ross Martin, and "Negative Reaction" with Dick Van Dyke I'm not as much a fan of the newer, ABC episodes, but the original NBC movies are fantastic.

malicedoom

[10]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 10
    Columbo Cries Wolf. Absolutely amazing.

"Gotcha."

jessmpro33

[11]May 23, 2007
    • level: 14
    the one where he was almost poisoned by a jar of marmalade i don't remember the name that is just what i remember

xhabzy

[12]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 6

I don't have 1 fav, but i do have 3 ! 1 Murder Under Glass, 2 Now You See Him, 3 Any Old Port In A Storm ! These are my favs, but who's kidding who ! I like 'em all ! later

Richiebcfc25

[13]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 47
    the magician episode is my fave i love the way columbo was able to outsmart him

70sTV

[14]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 1

It's tough to pick out a fave but a few of the ones i enjoy watching the most are:

Murder by the Book - Jack Cassidy

Etude in Black - John Cassavettes

In Exercise in Fatality - Robert Conrad (and Gretchen Corbett of Rockford Files fame)

A Friend In Deed - Richard Kiley

Prescription Murder - Gene Barry

The Most Crucial Game - Robert Culp

Double Exposure - Robert Culp

and I always liked Blueprint for Murder

I'm sure there are a couple of others but these are the ones i thought of first

Edited on 10/14/2007 1:47pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Polly2009

[15]Apr 20, 2009
    Hi there, can anyone tell me which episode included someones money in a will being divided out to the family by percentages? A friend of mine is desparately trying to find out because her uncle copied the idea. After his death, some of his family have contested the will by saying he would never have thought to do such a thing! Columbo has a lot to answer for? ha,ha. I also loved the Johnny Cash episode as my late father was a big JC fan. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

tv-striker

[16]May 26, 2009
    • level: 10

I don't recall such an storyline. However, dividing propery by fractions isn't that odd. (1/2 to so and and 1/2 to so and so).

JonJax

[17]Jun 30, 2009
    • level: 18
    I like the Donald Pleasence appearance episode as all of the Culp and Cassady episodes. I also really like Mind Over mayhem with the brilliant actor Jose Ferrer.

moviereddy

[18]Jul 21, 2009
    My faves: Prescription Murder-Columbo character in early beginnings, character still being shaped (ex: hair neatly combed, different shoes - later episodes/specials Detective more rumpled appearance). Love the scene where murderer walks in to apartment after return from trip & calmly walks over chalk body outline gandering off the balcony & is caught by Columbo entering from bedroom...GUILTY!

Murder by the Book (and the 2 other Jack Cassidy episodes)- again a GUILTY scene where Cassidy returns home amist scene of his partner's body found on his front lawn (if I remember correctly) and Columbo catches him leisurely perusing through his mail.

Ransom for a Dead Man - murderer (Lee Grant) was just so cold-blooded, one of few times Columbo, and audience, had no reason for sympathy for murderer.

Make Me a Perfect Murder - just really enjoyed this one - maybe because the murderer was tv/movie junkie like me :-)

All episodes starring Robert Culp.

Love all of them - hard to just name a few - Columbo is my fave series of all time & he is clearly THE BEST TV DETECTIVE (LIEUTENANT) EVER. Fun to see everyone else's faves too.

vicbjones

[19]Aug 2, 2009
    • level: 12
    My favorite is "Try to Catch a Fading Star," with Anne Baxter as an old actress who kills her assistant while apparently trying to kill a gossip columnist. Columbo has made me a big Jackson Gillis fan. Anyone who thinks Columbo was strictly formulaic should see this episode. The best seasons were the ones produced by Dean Hargrove and Roland Kibbee when Gillis was the head writer.
    Edited on 08/02/2009 6:50pm