Columbo Forums

NBC (ended 2003)

Original Columbo vs. Newer episodes

"Columbo:" Do you prefer the 1970's episodes, or the 1980's episodes?

jamoon2006

[1]May 15, 2007
    • level: 36

I posted this poll because I was curious as to what other Columbo fans thought. I have been working my way through the recently-released 1989 Mystery Movie Collection through Blockbuster Online, and after the first two episodes, I feel a little underwhelmed.

The first seven seasons are fantastic, and I own all of the DVD's. There's something about the newer episodes, though. It's not the production values, or even the script quality, necessarily. It's less interesting chemistry between Peter Falk and the murderers he is pursuing. And Mr. Falk seems to be doing a "Columbo" impression at times instead of playing the character he inhabited so fully in the 1970s.

Of course, the episodes could get better, but after the first two ("Columbo Goes to the Guillotine" and "Murder, Smoke and Shadows") I am disappointed. That's something I could never say about the original run. Some of those episodes are so brilliantly done, and the 1980s crop thus far has left me cold.

Any other thoughts or comments? Hopefully Universal will continue to release the revival episodes on DVD.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sotaria

[2]May 20, 2007
    • level: 3

Although there are a few good Newer Columbos along the way, they are vastly inferior to the original for many reasons.  THe old Columbo was unique.  It was a show about Columbo's investigative skills, about people, and with a beautiful "clue" at the end which would wrap up a seemingly impossible case.  You were engaged by Columbo's charisma and by trying to figure out how Columbo would trap the murderer when it seemed a perfect crime. 

With the New Columbos we are treated to the usual dose of sex and violence apparent in modern shows.  In fact, Columbo looks very much like a standard cop show except for having Peter Falk himself.  In one of the new episodes Columbo even frames someone !  (Well, okay he did that once in the old series too, but still ...).  THe New Columbo is too much like other cop shows and too little like the old one that was so innovated and original.  Having said that, there are a few good episodes along the way so stick with, but rent them from Netflix, don't waste your money on the full set.

Miracleman1

[3]May 20, 2007
    • level: 8

The 70's shows are clearly superior.

I could go on & on with examples of why the older shows where better, but it really all boils down to one thing, the writing. The newer shows just weren't up to the standards writing wise that the older episodes set.

Canada_Michael

[4]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 10

The age of Columbo also became a factor IMO. Especially in the last couple of the new ones it felt wrong to have a clearly elderly Columbo still on the job going undercover, getting hit on the head etc.