Columbo

How to Dial a Murder

Aired Unknown Apr 15, 1978 on NBC

• Kill on command!

7.8
    Scottish actor Nicol Williamson plays Dr. Eric Mason (known among others from the Excalibur in 1981 as Merlin, Hamlet 1969, Black Widow 1987 and The Exorcist 1990). A very young Kim Cattrall (best known from her role of Samantha in Sex And The City) plays a part we’re not used to. She plays a romantic a bit unstable woman Joanne Nicholls. Dr Eric Mason is having a heart check-up when his dogs at his house attack and kill his wives lover Dr. Hunter (played by Joel Fabiani)
    It is not long when Columbo suspects Mason for the murder , after all Dr Mason is a psychologist who uses words to influence people, why not dogs? But Columbo has to find a way and prove how Mason made his dogs kill on command from such a distance
    Quite amusing episode even if you know from the beginning what happened. The only thing you don’t know is the commanding word Not the best story but quite amusing.
  • Dobermans. Rosebud. Columbo. Boom.

I haven't seen many Columbo episodes, but I did happen to see this one and it blew my mind. This episode was extremely well written and had doggies in it. YAY! And a really creepy main character/murderer, the strange psychiatrist dude. Training the dobermans to attack on command was fantastic. The only minor flaw with the outcome of this episode was that it gave dobermans a bad rap. A posotive outcome was that it as influenced the creators of Monk, another detective series, to use dobermans in their episodes. Not only are dobermans cute, but they can add all sorts of magic to a TV Screen.