Comanche Moon

CBS (Mini-Series 2008)

Comanche Moon Fan Reviews (5)

7.6
  • Settlers and the Native Americans struggle for survival. Insults are traded, lives and cultures clashing - at times with a violent outcome.

Settlers and the Native Americans struggle for survival. Insults are traded from one side to another, lives and cultures clashing - at times with a violent outcome.

The first thing I noticed was the thick accents and less than clear articulation. It made the characters appear very real especially since the accents held on tight until to the end.

Val Kilmer provided most of the humor for this series. I didn't quite get his character, who didn't seem to take anything seriously either. That doesn't matter, I guess: he stayed the same from start to finish. In his shoes and with a wife like his I think I wouldn't be exactly sane either.

Altogether, "Comanche Moon" was both beautiful and cruel; raw and realistic. The casting and acting were pretty good, though the characters weren't drawn too clearly (then again, I may have lost quite a bit of information while struggling to understand what was being said most of the time).

Not a happy series, either. I liked it just for that fact, though: it was realistic, dramatic, and the emo-tional parts weren't underlined, thusly working better than well. Life is bittersweet and unsatisfying hardly ever it gives people anywhere what they want and that was pretty much what happened here.
  • I've never seen Lonesome Dove but have all confidence it was much better than this prequel. Sadly even with Val Kilmer at the helm the star power effect was lacking. Even with the b-grade feel the main problem with the show. Had to be the

I've never seen Lonesome Dove but have all confidence it was much better than this prequel. Sadly even with Val Kilmer at the helm the star power effect was lacking. Even with the b-grade feel the main problem with the show. Had to be the lack of concern or identity with any of the characters. Not one of them came off the page so to speak for me. I was just watching a saga unfold in the past which I couldn've accomplished with a history channel showing. Finally the fact that not one of these people got a happy ending added to the big nothing I was left with. Maybe i'm wrong in this assessment perhaps the sad endings were what built the Lonesome Dove characters but if there was ever a time for artistic license. A happy ending or two was the time to do so very disappointed in this showing really wanted more.
  • I was ready to watch the show and I have to admit I enjoyed the first two episodes, It was definetly a TV miniseries and had all the makings of a good story but, It slowly but surely went downhill, the third episode left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Comanche Moon started out interesting and kept my attention for the first two episodes, it's hard to make a miniseries from books and this one didn't make it. I was interested in the series at first and the first two episodes told a decent story from the book, as it moved on I grew interested in the charactors and found some value in most of the acting. The relationships were predictable but compeling. Then along came episode three. First I have to say I felt like I was watching a readers digest version of the story. All of a sudden events had taken place that we didn't get to see and BOOM we went from pre Civil War to Post Civil War in a blink of an eye. How sad that such a good story was stripped of its value. I'm surprised Larry McMurtry was the producer. Very sad outcome indeed. Yet I still enjoyed most of the show. My guess is a dvd will come out with deleted scenes and extended scenes and alternative endings. One could only hope.
  • This particular mini-series was certainly not what was expected. The scenery was the best part of the movie. It was poorly acted, and boring to say the least. I was expecting to see acting and directing similar to "Lonesome Dove", and it wasn't there.

1.6
    I was very disappointed in this series. Poor acting, interest deprived story line, and lack of strong character portrayal left me wondering it would evolve into that strong sequence of events and superior acting as was found in "Lonesome Dove". It didn't happen and left me with a very disappointed feeling as it hadn't lived up to the expectations that were so carefully created with the previews. I am hopeful, however, that another is in the planning and that consideration will be given the viewers that, like me, were so sadly disappointed. Of all the people I have talked with that watched the series, none were happy with it and each and every one has said the same thing...boring, poor acting, not worth the time to watch. Many didn't come back after the first airing on Sunday night.
  • The saga of Lonesome Dove comes to an end, with the second prequel to the original miniseries, with events taking place after Dead Man's Walk.

The original spoiled this for me. I have watched all of the follow us, except for that TV series. The Return was okay; Streets of Laredo was pretty good, because of James Garner, and Dead Man's Walk was okay, but only because of Edward James Olmos' character. The problem is all of them suffer in comparison with the original, and the tandem of Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones. Commanche Moon paints an interesting and intriguing portrait of the Commanche, throughout the miniseries. I wish I could say the same for the other side. Much of the show seems cribbed together, just to set the stage for Lonesome Dove. McMurtry did introduce a different character in Captain Scull, played by Val Kilmer, and his randy wife, played by Rachel Griffiths. However, after he is rescued from Ahumado, they come back to their characters later in the show with a little set piece that does nothing for either character, and seems completely out of place. I have to say that scattering and slipshot story disappointed me, because McMurtry produced this, and Simon Wincer, the director of the original, directed this. If you are a fanatic of the characters, then by all means watch it. I found the Indian characters more intriguing. I cannot recommend it to regular tv watchers. nd7486