Combat Hospital

Global (ended 2011)

neomichel

Combat Hospital Fan Reviews (9)

• bring it back please.

This is an awesome series. It cannot end like this!
  • What about more...?!?!?!

I absolutely loved this show - got the adrenaline rushing and made me wish I'd been a corpsman when I was active duty... Also reignited my love and respect for those who are out there on the front lines serving our wonderful country! I wish this show would continue...:( I guess until then, I'll just watch re-runs over and over again. I loved this show!! Bring back Combat Hospital!!!

• Great new military show from an allied prespective

Really enjoyed the first season and hope it will be continued. As the present wife of a retired military veteran and the widow of a deceased VN casualty, I am a fan of good positive military dramas i.e., China Beach, and Army Wives. I think these type shows helps non military types understand military life and why we are so committed to this country in our willingness to serve.
  • Not a very great show in my opinion.

I was turned off by two things-the casual usage of a certain word in the script in its most offensive and low IQ derivative and the depiction of a soldier who can't stop masturbating. People who talk like that are pond scum & people who behave like that are also pond scum. I think they should have thought out their script better. It comes off as low brow humour when it is supposed to be drama. I thought MASH was a good show...critics of MASH might say it was inappropriate to make a comedy in a war setting-it is also inappropriate to depict people who work in field hospitals as genuine douche bags.
  • I'm getting sick of all the hospital, police and legal dramas, but found this one is worth watching. You know it's a good sign when you tape a show and can't wait to watch it the next day, rather than let it linger on the PVR! A worthy successor to MASH

I was a fan of MASH, and am surprised that it's taken this long for someone to come up with a good show relating to current wars. I'm sure they've taken some creative licensing on the portrayal of the base, life in Afghanistan, and the medicine (as they do for even domestic medical dramas), but a friend who's been deployed to Afghanistan a couple of times-- and is a nurse-- says that it's pretty accurate.

I like that they have developed most of the main characters, they are far from uni-dimensional, they do things we may not like but we learn to understand was right (e.g. the Colonel), they're flawed; in other words, they feel real. The writers have avoided the standard Hollywood drama twists for a change and they have highlighted some of the issues in Afghanistan without getting preachy (both of which were, I feel, Off the Map's fatal errors). They've shown the "bad" guys getting medical care and the deaths of people we've come to care about. There's a nice mix of interpersonal drama along with the cases/situations-- this isn't a procedural, but it's also not a Greys where the medicine's secondary-- so we come to care about the characters. The acting is solid, too.

My after-thought on having just seen the season finale is that it's surprising that they didn't do a scene showing "the highway of heros/people above/the flags flying low" (to quote The Trews song), but then I realized that the show has been respectful of the soldiers they are portraying and that is something that shouldn't be dramatized for a TV character. That they resisted says a lot about the show, doesn't it?

I really hope that Combat Hospital is renewed for another season. Has anyone heard anything? It could be a summer show, like In Plain Sight. Although that feels like an awfully long wait!

• I watch it weekly but as a Canadian who served in Afghanistan I have major issues with the storylines: such as a neurosurgeon with a farm plot that includes marijuana. Why would the only neurosurgeon in RC(S) go for a joy ride?

4.5
    The lead actress is a relative hottie with limited talent (her 59-day tour should be up soon!) The CO is quite good except when he rides a bicycle through the Role 3 with his rifle slung over his back. The R3 RSM and the Sr Nur Offr (Cdr) are quite well played and the Tactical Operations Centre is pretty accurate. The spectrum of interactions that the CO has had - lying about who was involved in the Brit friendly fire incident and his decision about the female surgeon's weapon discharge do not play well in my opinion. Overall it does not give an appreciation for the size of the unit and the complexity of the mission, since every MEDEVAC draws a page to all principle players. I think the sets, Role 3, Boardwalk, quarters are well designed (except for the neurosurg's romper room with constantly flowing vodka). Who wants to believe (true or not) that the neurosurgeon is making life and death decisions with vodka flowing through his liver. The inclusion of a cross-cultural lesbian relationship is unnecessary. Minor errors affect the credibility of the show such as Major Ada Pedersen wears an Australian Army uniform, yet she wear the rank of a Lieutenant and a Major. See photo here: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1699134976/nm0000679 and ADF rank insignia here: http://www.defence.gov.au/images/Badges_of_rank.pdf

The smuggling of the female Afghan with an infected tonsil using a Canadian Arid uniform was lame as it show no sense of the levels of security. Of course the Afghan interpreter would be able to fix the CT scanner with a transistor from a printer and get a CF commendation all in one episode.
  • expected the same old thing.

when i first heard about this show i assumed it would use the same old formula of Grey's Anatomy in _____. i was pleasantly surprised when the show wasn't like that at all. although i wouldn't mind a little romance (it is supposed to be entertainment after all) i don't want to see every single person hooking up with each other. From just the cast picture its clear to see the 2 attractive young doctors will eventually get together....i dont mind it but i hope it doesn't turn the show into just them. the best part about combat hospital is that even though i know nothing about either war or medicine, the actions of the characters make sense in the situations they find themselves in. The whole point of television is to be entertaining and Combat Hospital does just that.
  • It has the potential to be a good show

After seeing the first episode, i can already see possible story lines that will play out through the season.

My first impression of the cast/characters was pretty good, i think that if the show has a good set of writers then it definetly has the potential to be a good medical drama.

The only thing that might be a problem for this show, if the fact that are so many medical dramas out there, that are trying to be as good as shows like grey's anatomy. This show is also very similar to off the map, which followed a group of doctors out in the jungle, trying to treat people in difficult circumstances. What does set this shows apart is the fact that it's a hospital on a military, which i think really gives it a stronger emotional impact on viewers. After seeing the first episode, i think im going to keep watching it.
  • A quality medical drama.

Being a Vietnam era army medic myself, it's hard for me to judge weather this show accurately portrays what's going on in Afghanistan at present, It's a whole different situation, a whole different army and a whole different world now than it was back then, and I'd really like to hear some feedback on this show from someone who is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan. Just from what I've seen, this is a quality, well produced medical drama, even though I can't really vouch for it's accuracy. It was a compelling storyline, and it appeared to be well researched. I liked the snake in the O.R. scene, from my own army experience, that was just believable enough. Just got through Googeling the venomous snakes of that region and yes, they've got some damn nasty ones over there.