Combat!

ABC (ended 1967)

NiteWatch

Combat! Fan Reviews (15)

• Awesome

What can I say that everyone here,hasn't?Stands alone with all-time best productionsit is for history what comedy was for M*AS*H,and fanatsy for Star Trek.
  • Combat

As a little kid in 1962, I was only allowed to watch TV till 8 O'clock, so

I couldn't watch long but we did get a little extra time during the summer!
  • Combat! Following the King Company across Europe the Second Platoon, known as King Two and led by Lt. Hanley and his squad of misfits. This series brought out the best in stories and drama, mixed with humor and always pulling you in for their journey. A g

If you haven't had a chance to see one of the greatest series of all time, then don't miss your chance to get caught up in King's Company Two. All the characters will endear you to their everyday struggles on the war front. Vic Morrow was brilliant as Sergeant Saunders as was the rest of the crew from Hanley on down the ranks to Kirby, Caje, Littlejohn, Doc and all the rest. From campaign to campaign, the highs and the lows, you were always rooting for them. Great series!
  • I have been a loyal fan of COMBAT! since 2001. I think the whole cast was terrific, and they were all talented. The storylines were fabulous! I think who watch COMBAT! will be come an insist fan!

Vic Morrow is 100% talented!
    Rick Jason is 100% talented!
    Dick Peabody is 100% talented!
    Jack Hogan is 100% talented!
    Tom Lowell is 100% talented!

COMBAT! is 100% excellent to watch!

COMBAT! is 100% exciting!

You will totally be amazed!

Well, I cannot say enough about this 1962-1967 television series. You will be the next fan! All you have to do is turn the television onto a channel, station, or network that airs COMBAT!.

You will see sexy and handsome men in action. They fighting World War 2, and they have heart and tenderness. They put their lives on the lines for all human kind. The sergeant is Chip Saunders portrayed by gorgeous Vic Morrow.
  • This is a well put together television series about a troop of soldiers in Europe, mainly Germany, during World War II. It consists of the first season or two in black and white and then proceeds in color for the rest of the seasons. There are 6 Seasons.

The TV Series Combat! is by far the best TV War Series ever put on national television and probably the most underappreciated also. For anyone who has never seen this show, do yourself a favor and view it and I assure you that you won't be sorry that you did! It is very interesting, full of suspense and you'll even learn some life lessons in the process. I was never in the Army, so I learned a few things about what they went through back then in World War II myself. It is perfect for the entire family to watch and yes, even females will like this show. So go ahead and watch it. Don't just watch one episode and make your opinion on it. As with any show, sometimes it takes a few episodes to learn what the show is about and the objective of the show itself. So view a few episodes and then you'll know how you feel about it and most people will like it, not everyone, but most. If you decide that you like it, then your in for a 152 episode treat, so sit back and enjoy. You won't be sorry that you did!
  • Combat,one of the most realistic shows to hit the airwaves. Lt.Hanley and Sgt.Saunders and the King Company were hard core.Show took place during WW2 in Germany. The producers wanted the last episodes to move to the Pacific,but didn't pan out.

I watched Combat every night when I was a kid. The episodes were all fantastic. Realistic and very entertaining. Most true war veterans deem this show as real as they come. One of my most favorite episodes was the two parter called Hills Are For Heroes which was directed by Vic Morrow. Vic had a knack for using camera angles that weren't used at that time in film making. A matter of fact some of his camera shots are seen in some of the recent war movies such as Saving Private Ryan and others. Vic had a true eye, a real vision in film making. Anyway as to this episode ,it shown the futility of wasted life and limb to take a hill and just walk away with no real glory. As Hanley says "Come Down", I remember Kirby's words.."NO! We're not coming down! This one, I don't even know his name, he can't come down. Enstine can't come down." Of course they died taking this hill without any significant reason. I can go on about the other great episodes however the bottom line is any war buff should check this series out. It's a true masterpiece. I rate this a 10 all the way.
  • A truely Classic TV series, about the lives of the men and women living within a war, on both sides, as well as those caught in between.

Combat! was way ahead of it's time [when you speak of war stories made by Americans, about Americans, for Americans].

It not only showed the American G.I. and their Allies as human beings [with real feelings, and families back home], but it also showed the enemy in the same light.

It was created with much the same technical and artistic skills as one would expect from a feature length film, that took months to create.

IMHO, in many ways it far exceeds many feature films of today, and each episode only took six days to shoot, and cost just over $125k [mid-60s dollars] to make.

I remember watching it as a kid, and my memories were of a good ol' WWII TV show. But, now after all these years, I would never have expected that it had such good writing, acting, filming, an editing.
  • The choice of classification needs another category, "overrated" or "overhyped", because that's where Combat! falls.

4.2
    It's not that Combat! was terrible or bad, but all its undergraduate psychologizing and treacly storylines grow old. I enjoyed it when it first aired, back in 1962, but I was seven years old, then. Nowadays, it irritates more than it satisfies. How so, some may ask:

1) The combat sequences. Not every single German soldier felt the need to run out in the middle of the road and stand still so as to give the enemy a perfect target. More, it is generally not possible for anyone to burp out a few rounds from a machine gun positioned on their hips and kill two or three people a couple of hundred yards ahead behind the trees. And, finally, there is more to military maneuvers than "flank'em, Kirby!" Anyone watching this show would think the US Army killed 10 or 20 Germans for every American killed. In fact, the Germans enjoyed a 3:2 advantage over the US Army in the kill ratio.

2) The preachiness. "Oh, the horrors of war". Over and over and over. Pedestrian, to say the least. And, if it's so "horrible", why were so many people watching the show? Hmmmm? And why did the producers want people to watch? A little too much self righteous hpyocrisy for my taste.

3) Sgt. Saunders. I just couldn't ever stand Vic Morrow. Anyone who ever saw the other World War II combat series from about the same time, The Gallant Men, knows what a real seargant looks like, with Richard X. Slattery's portrayal of Sgt. John McKenna. In fact, the entire cast, not to mention storylines, plots, and photography of The Gallant Men was superior to Combat! Americans suffered casualties in The Gallant Men. Lots of them. Not just an unfortunate "guest star" every other week.
  • A Classic TV Review

Combat! This series has been and quiet frankly will always be a timeless piece of entertainment. Combat! has an incredibly strong cast, with excellent direction and stories that tie all together in such a clear and gripping hour of entertainment, that has viewers emphasizing with our heroes and leaving them to see more.

Each episode has Guest stars that do not stand alone, but are set as part of the story. No egos were stroked on screen, no spotlight set week after week on the guest. All characters work in unison to create and support the story being told.

Combat! had a five year run, leaving at the top of the ratings list not due to viewer-ship concerns but due to the changes from Black and White formats to Color, and the concern for the network to regain a financial investment during any sort of syndication run.

Combat! This show is highly recommended for family viewing. It has a safe and complete episode listing for all members with a simple PG rating for TV viewing.

The entire series is currently available on DVD.
  • This was great! Easily one of the best war shows ever!

Well,I absoluetley loved this. It all started one day when I was switching through the channels. It was all boring channels, until I found Encore: Action. It normally has allthe good movies on it. If your lucky you can find Saving Private Ryan on it sometimes. Anyways, a show called "Combat!" was on. I mean really,the NAME sounded cool! What a better word than "Combat!" to get me going when high on sugar? No better word! I ammediatley switched it on there. It started out with some guy yelling "Combat!" and the actors. It then cut to a scene that had 7 people talking.They moved out, shot some Germans,and then found a baby. Later on a guy exploded when he stepped on a mine. That. Was. Awesome! We went along,with arguing, then it ended.That was great.

SFX- 6/10 The sound effects of this are pretty good, even in todays standards. You can can clearly here exsplosions and gunshot

Accuaracey-10/10 Completley accurate. It clearly shows the Thompson Sub Machine Gun, the M1 Garand Semi Automatic Rifle, the Browning Automatic Rifle, the MP40, Kar98,all of em. Great.

Soundtrack-3/10 Not to well. There really isn't any soundtrack, unless you count the drumbeats and such.

Acting- 5/10 Many were good. Many were bad.

Blood- 1/10 Blood? Did you say blood?

Action-10/10 Plenty of Action! Heck, most of the episodes involve action.

Plot- 6/10 There really isn't any universal plot, but it does have plots within episodes.
    ________________________________________________

Hope that helps!
  • Amazing show! One of a kind still to this day!

When I was a kid I thought I understood this show. Recording the episodes from GOODLIFE TV, on my DVR these days and rewatching them as an adult, is like watching them for the first time. WOW! This show is pretty deep. It showed the human side of WWII. The standard back then were the gung ho! WWII movies, but COMBAT! deviated from that in a refreshing way. If you enjoyed "BAND OF BROTHERS" you'll dig this bigtime.
  • A World War II drama that can not be matched.

This show was very well made considering the budget limitations in which was imposed on it. The characters (squad) really interlaced with one another. The actors will always be remembered for their excellant work on this series.

Rick Jason as Lt. Hanley in episodes:
    "Hills are for Heroes" (parts 1 & 2)
    and
    Vic Morrow as Sgt. Saunders in episode:
    "Far from the Brave"

Jack Hogan as Pvt. Kirby in both the above episodes was excellant.
  • This is a war show following a group of soldiers during WWII.

This is the greatest war show of all time. It was definitely ahead of its time due to the realistic combat sequences and violence. Most shows during this time were very family oriented. The creators did a good job in portraying the life of soldiers during WWII. This is what made Combat so great.
  • When I was a kid, I watched this show with my father, who is now deceased. It was our favorite show, we never missed it. Tuesday night at 7:30 on ABC. I do wish it had stayed in black & white, color sucks! I think about my Dad every episode.

My favorite shows are all the episodes with the entire squad in them. Billy too!!!!!!!!!!!! Doc 2 is better. I like the anthology episodes, but the squad shows are best. And when one guy isn't there I miss him. If we had to lose Braddock, Kirby was a great replacement.
  • "Combat!" was a show based on the adventures of Sgt. Scaunders (Vic Morrow) and who ever the hell Rick Jason played, along with the squad facing challenges of WWII.

This is probablly the greatest war based TV series with excellent combat scenes, and with a large dose of elements on the side to make it even newer, and better as it went. It is one show that can be watched religiouslly and the only excuse you can think of is "It's That Damn Good". This is one show that would make a killer of "100's of millions of dollars" if it was remade for the modern day big screen. or even put into a TV series. If anyone did that, Lucas would even forget "Star Wars" himself!!!!