The fall season is in full swing and all of our shows have a few episodes under their belt. Freshman shows have given a glimpse of what they're all about and a promise of what's to come. Meanwhile, the returning ones are showing what's next; how they're moving forward from stories they've set in season/s past.

Inevitably we form our own favorites. Some just win us over. They may not be the best acted or even the best written shows, but they're certainly the ones we look forward to every week.

The following is my personal list of favorites so far. Aside from my excitement for the main plot, the subplots are also quite entertaining. There are also no characters in them who I would wish would just die/see less of already.

1. Person of Interest

We all know Reese, Finch and Bear make a kick-ass team. What makes this season extra special are the girls.
Root. Love her. Deliciously wacko and insanely smart. I'd watch a show if it was only her on an earpiece with the Machine.
The Machine. Previously just an omnipresent voyeur, she has evolved into a more proactive entity. Apart, Root and the Machine were formidable. Together, they're unstoppable.
Shaw. Love her or hate her, she is a bad-ass. Just look at her fridge.
Carter. We already knew she was a bad-ass. But this season she's showing it.

2. American Horror Story: Coven

This is my first AHS season and it's been insane. What's there not to like?
Minotaurs! Women masturbating in front of minotaurs! Toxic vaginas! Zombie revenge squads! Frankenstein! Molesting Frankenstein! Emma Roberts! Slutty Emma Roberts! Immortal racist buried alive! Voodoo! Voodoo impregnation rituals! Enchanted tongues! Dismembered enchanted tongues! Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett! Nan!

3. The Originals

Davina. Davina. Davina. and Elijah. and maybe Klaus.

This show had a shaky start, being a spin-off and all, but by episode 5, I'm more looking forward to it than, ironically, the original. As has been pointed out, the witches are more interesting in this show. Just look at Davina. Sacrificed by her parents, made to watch her best friends die, isolated in a church attic, with almost every witch in New Orleans wanting her dead. And yet she is the most powerful of them all. Her apparent alliance with the original vampires has got me excited. The strongest witch with the strongest vampires? I hope the writers know what they're doing.

4. Reign

I'm surprised I liked this. They say the show is riddled with historical inaccuracies. Good thing I don't remember the history of Mary, Queen of Scots. And I now have no intention of looking it up until the show airs it's final episode lest I be spoiled of things to come. It's a guilty pleasure show showcasing beautiful people, in beautiful dresses, in beautiful places. It's a love story with higher stakes, where a man does not only marry a woman, but marries her country as well. Throw in a horny King with a horny handmaiden, hipster Nostradamus, English invasion/assassination plots and a "ghost" lady with a sack on her head and you've got an hour of riveting TV.

5. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I love the Whedon shows. They all have humor. They all have heart. And this show is no exception. For me, Skye is the standout. She started off as an outsider, a spy. By the 5th episode she's come clean. She wants to earn the chance to be one of them. Her father-daughter relationship with Agent Coulson has been the heart of the show. Agent Coulson has been great in his own right. The others have a little more developing to do. But it's okay. My patience is a little longer for this show. Maybe it's because I trust in Whedon. Maybe it's because Skye and AC are just that compelling to watch. Whatever it may be, I'm loving this show and I can't wait for next week.

What about you? What's your favorite show this fall?
14 Comments
Comments (14)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sleepy Hollow, because it gives me awe, and laughter, and chills all at the same time.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is like The Big Bang Theory to me (I always have a great time watching it).

And the rest of my favorites aren't new shows.
Flag
My favorite new fall shows:

1. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
2. Reign
3. The Originals
4. Masters of Sex
5. Marvels Agents of S H I E L D

The biggest surprise was without question Reign. This show is CRAZY and I LOVE every second of it. Both Mary and her gowns are gorgeous.

I also enjoy Haven (which I review), vanilla OUAT, Revolution and Back in the Game (I'm so sad this show was cancelled)

In a spare time I'm trying to catch up with Person of Interest (I'm in the middle of first season now) I can't wait to see Amy Acker again.

Flag
A big yes to Masters of Sex. Lizzy Caplan is killing it in that show. Ulysses has the best job ever!
Flag
Reign, SHEILD and Sleepy Hollow are my favourites for this fall.
Flag
SHIELD
The Originals
Person of Interest
Sleepy Hollow
Reign
Flag
The only ones you mentioned I follow are POI and S.H.I.E.L.D. I agree with both of those particularly POI. POI is just a fantastic show with great characters and great threads. I love that the machine is an ever evolving character throughout this show.

SHIELD is great as well. I've enjoyed it more then others I think. I've really enjoyed the Coulson / Skye dynamic. I really enjoy Ming Na as well. I'm anxious for more development of her character. Whedon and company have usually excelled at female characters so I'm very excited for further development.

I would also add Arrow to that list. I thought it was a great slow burn origin story in Season 1 with solid consequences to its characters. I think that its holding well into its second season as well. Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, and Emily Bett Rickards have great on screen chemistry.
Flag
I would definitely have added Arrow too if not for Laurel. I just can't stand her at the moment.
Flag
Reign, the originals and S.H.E.I.L.D
I knew the originals would be great klaus and the rest of his family are amazing characters and the witches in this show last longer and have do more against the odds, Devina is crazy but I like that, I think I'd be a bit crazy if my parents tried to sacrifice me to get more Jo Jo Jo for every one else. NO KILLING KIDS.
i was surprised about Reign I wasn't going to watch it but I'm glad I did, I don't care about the historical inaccuracies this show has spark and fire, also heart and emotion that draws you in.
S.H.E.I.L.D is great Coulsen is good and so is Skye but I'm waiting for Ward to have that moment, I'm interested in his character and his story.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members