Psych overloaded fans of delicious flavor with tasty treats at this year's Comic-Con. On Wednesday , at late-night screening of the upcoming two-hour musical (premiering on USA December 15), the cast and series creator Steve Franks all appeared to introduce the special and show their appreciation to their legion of Psych-Os.

A typically raucous panel followed on Thursday, moderated by recurring guest-star Cary Elwes and serving up sizzling appetizers for the upcoming eighth season.

But among the offerings was an unwelcome sprinkle of salt—in the form of tears, both shed and yet to fall, because this could be Psych's last appearance at Comic-Con.

Although no official announcement has been made, it's unlikely that the show will continue beyond Season 8's nine-episode order. 

"You know the end was going to come at some point," star James Roday told me after the comedy detective series' Comic-Con panel on Thursday. "We're reaching that point now, and the way that we're writing the show as well—we're dealing with emotional elements that we haven't always dealt with." 

"This eighth season you will see things change—toward the future," added executive producer Chris Henze. "You'll see big changes in our characters, and I think that's the first time we've embarked on that and embraced it. They've lived in a certain place, each one of them, for so long."

In fact, Maggie Lawson—who as Detective Juliet O'Hara is one half of Psych's OTP—is taking up residence on an entirely different show: the ABC sitcom Back in the Game, premiering this fall.

"It keeps me really busy," Lawson said when I asked about the impact of her new series pickup. "It really doesn't affect [Psych] at all. I'm in Season 8."

Still, we didn't need a psychic to tell us that Lawson landing the lead role on a brand-new series was an important clue about Psych's fate. 

With a significant glance at her costar, Kirsten Nelson (Chief Vick, fired in the Season 7 cliffhanger) told me, "When we were on hiatus, things changed and new opportunities were being explored." As Season 8 approached, she added, "We knew that there were going to be emotions—raw ones—when we were shooting. But it's fun, and we take it joyfully, episode by episode." 

Everyone involved with Psych has embraced the spirit of carpe diem. 

"We're enjoying the ride and appreciating it," said Dulé Hill. "Our show can't stay around forever, and even the fact that we've reached eight seasons is a huge, huge accomplishment."

"It's just been a joy," echoed Roday, "just really soaking it up, smelling the roses more than ever, taking time to appreciate your fellow castmates." For instance, he said, "I'm watching scenes that I'm not in. There aren't a ton of those, but I do find myself gravitating toward the set when I don't need to be there." 

"We just have a lot of love for each other,  and knowing that sometime the sun is going to set on Santa Barbara and Psych... it's just a part of the experience now."

And that experience translates to one more season—plus the standalone musical special—for fans to cherish. 

That includes a fan-chosen ninth episode, "Nightmare on State Street," directed and co-written by Roday. He also co-wrote "1967: A Psych Odyssey," which mark's Nelson's directorial debut. 

And after noting that "we've never done Harry Potter, we've never gone to London, and we've never done a Guy Ritchie [homage]," Franks revealed the title of another episode: "Lock, Stocks, and Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster's Goblet of Fire." 

Think that's high-concept? How about a remake of an original Psych episode?

"It is an all-star Psych episode," Roday told me. "Just about every role is being played by an actor who's previously been on the show in a different role. So it's a little bit of musical chairs with some familiar different faces. Andy Berman wrote and directed, and I guess the tease would be that it's one of his episodes... That narrows it down to about 20 something." 

As for the show's overall trajectory, "We just try to keep getting better each time, and when it ends, it ends," said Franks. "We'll do it as long as they let us do it... shows get more expensive, and it can't last forever, but it's still fun. So much fun."

31 Comments
Comments (31)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ending Psych after just 8 seasons is a travesty. These actors/characters have so many years of great plots in them that it is just so unfair to us as fans that the show is ending. If they all love doing the show so much, then why quit? It is not as if they are not making money, and they all seem to love doing the show and love each other. What a waste. Franks and USA will regret this. This is a slick show. Best and funniest show on TV and I will be lost without it. Really really stupid move to end it now. Just stupid.
Flag
Did that mean that juliet is now head detective
Flag
where did they say it would be their last season. the reveiwer made their judgments but, meh, anyway the show has had an awesome run but you have to wonder why usa can't keep a show alive past 8 seasons. Anyway I am happy to see that show is doing more than it's ever done before, and hope that it's final curtain call truely does have a fat lady sining. Seriously tall porkly and with the tallest horned hat in the world... It would be amazing.
Flag
Please don't go, I love Psych.
Flag
I love Psych. I'm going to miss it so much when it does end...
Flag
Don't cancel the show!!! Keep playing Back to Back re-runs like Criminal Minds!!! Duhhhhh!!!
Flag
Me = Jealous. I was busting my butt on my own SDCC work Wednesday night, and had a conflicting panel Thursday (although that did come with a delicious omelet and pancake breakfast) so I missed all the Pscyhcitement (trademark JT Kirk) which especially rough since Psych was among my first big deal SDCC panels ever. Anyway, good write-up, hope to hear good things about the musical episode, and maybe there will be 1 more year at SDCC for Psych after all.
Flag
How about 'ex-Psych-ment'? Seems easier to say, although if you say it fast enough and don't put an emphasis on the Psych part, it may go unnoticed.
Flag
It fits better, yes, but as you said, without stressing the "K" sound in "Psych", it'll get lost. Plus, Psych comes first in everything!
Flag
Hey Drusilla! If you ever need a seasoned camera op to join you at Comic Con, I will gladly make myself available! I come with full gear (Sony FS100 camera, sound, etc)...
Flag
Hey Psych! I have loved you guys since the first episode. Through out your show, "Bud" has been mentioned throughout the show. Will he finally appear on the 8th season? Also, I know all good things must come to an end, but I wish your cast of characters wouldn't. I look forward to seeing you guys every week when you are on air. During off seasons, I watch on USANETWORK.COM of NETFLIX. But, for me it's not enough. You guys have to make specials every once in a while just for the fans to keep up with what you are doing. Please consider. I'm sure Steve Franks wouldn't mind. He's the king of guy that would ride til the wheels fall off. Please keep the in mind. I love you guys! sign your #1 fan (that's right, suck it everybody else).
Flag
I think I'll miss the alternate version of the theme song most. OOOHHHH YEAAAHHH!
Flag
It's going to be even harder to say goodbye after how good last season was.
Flag
Its gonna be so sad when it ends, but its true it cant last forever.
Flag
I'd like to see Shawn confess that he's not really psychic then a flash forward to a few years later and he's now a Detective for the Department like Henry always wanted him to be.
Flag
This is making me so sad....
I really don't want to think of it ending.... yet...
I mean it has been running for so long... :(
And then it's just gone? Mh.
Better save the tears for the season 8 finale,
might it be full of overwhemling awesomness....
and a hell of a departure!
Flag
Its going to be sad to see this show go away with how good the last two seasons have been. Hour long comedies are difficult to sustain and this show has done it and done it well. Sustaining a show on USA for that long, especially since 'Psych' was never like any of the litany of carbon copied shows that have been and are currently on the network. Psych always has stood out above the rest. It'll be missed. I wish I lived in a world where Roday and Hill were like Kelsey Grammar and John Larroquette and each had closets full of Emmys for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy. Shawn Spencer and Burton Guster will always be as memorable as 'Frasier' and 'Dan Fielding'. Losing a comedy team as good as they have become is a bad day for television comedy. Good thing Jason Gann and Elijah Wood are around to ease that loss a little with 'Wilfred'. Long live Psych!
Flag
The way Roday was talking, Psych wont be around much longer.

If so, as my favorite show I wish them all the best and thanks for the fantastic 8 year run!
Flag
I'l truly miss Psych. There's very few shows that can go 8 seasons and not have at least one season that I bitch about. Psych has been really been very consistent for me.
Flag
I agree, it's a rare thing for a show to hold up so well after 7 (8) seassons
Flag
Wow, they look old. I haven't watch it since season 1 and I can't believe how old the two main guys looks.
Flag
Yeah, I imagine if you haven't been watching the show since season 1, the aging is going to be a lot more noticeable. That said, I think Dule Hill kinda looks the same; it's just his beard, maybe, that makes him look older.
Flag
Guesses for remake episode, based on Berman writing and directing, only options are: Dead Bear Walking (Season 5), Last Night Gus (Season 6), and Juliet Takes a Luvvah (Season 7). Unless Berman only wrote the previous episode, then there would be many more options.
Flag
NOOOOOOOOOO! Don't go!

However if the show runners of Back in the Game were smart they would use the closeness of the actors from Psych and circling them in as random guest stars. But it is ABC who is following NBC in the non funny department.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members