Supernatural returned to Comic-Con this year in its usual Sunday-morning timeslot in Hall H. Taking the stage were showrunner Jeremy Carver, Winchester Bros Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, Misha Collins (whom the audience greeted with great enthusiasm), Mark Sheppard, and executive producer Robert Singer in his Comic-Con debut.

To kick things off the audience was treated to a trailer sizzle reel to build anticipation for Season 9, embedded above. One highlight: Crowley being treated to a fate almost worse than death. "We're going to leave you alone," said the Winchesters. With no one to talk to, "solitary is pretty much your own personal hell."

The descriptor for Season 9 is "free-for-all," a term Carver uses liberally. (At this point, Collins and Sheppard interrupted their showrunner with some namecard hijinks.) Carver said that "a world with fallen angels is a dirty, scary, bloody, and really human world."

He also said that "the brothers' choice to save each other has left them stronger than ever, but there's a tremendous amount of fallout. They're walking into a world where all the normal constructions of heaven and hell aren't the same anymore."

Padalecki added, "When we have the king of hell living in our dungeon and angels walking around all over, we're really going to need each other."

As for our favorite fallen angel, Collins promised a "remarkable shift" for Castiel. Now when he pops in, "basically [all he can do is] fold laundry." He also experiences eating for the first time... and what follows. 

"There's a great bathroom scene," Padalecki cracked—and "it's a three-episode arc," said Carver. 

The Winchesters will still be hanging out in the bunker. "Men of Letters is the first permanent set we've had in eight seasons," observed Singer. (No more seedy motels? Fie!)

When a fan asked about Bobby's return, which Jim Beaver spilled on Twitter, Singer griped: "Jim Beaver tweets he's going to be coming back before we have any plans to do it!" Then Carver elaborated, but only slightly: "He's coming back in a way you wouldn't expect, and that's how I'm going to leave it." 

Regarding the return of Charlie, Singer complained about Felicia Day's diva behavior on set—and she rushed onstage to defend her rep. Astonishingly, she revealed that this panel marked her first time in Hall H. Raving about her guest-star experience, Day said she's "blessed to be working with these amazing men with excellent hair."

Then she added, "I think this show needs a Teflon vagina," to which Singer quipped: "That's why we have Mark Sheppard!"

Day also answered an unsolicited question: How do Jensen and Jared smell? "Coriander and leather. It's a potpourri scent."

The conversation turned next to a few of Dean's favorite things—in particular, the Impala. "He loves driving that beast down the highway, rocking out to rock 'n' roll," said Ackles. " And pie."

Ackles and Collins then bickered about Castiel learning to driving Dean's baby. As Singer noted, Ackles "has a sick proprietary feeling about this car." In fact, Ackles admitted he doesn't even like it when the Teamsters drive it.

As for the Winchesters' favorite weapons, Padalecki said he really wants to use the car's grenade launcher, while Ackles loves his 1911, a gun he can proficiently shoot, take apart, and reassemble.

Like Ackles before him, Collins is taking a turn behind the camera this season to direct Episode 17. Sheppard grumbled, "They don't let me do anything."

Carver mostly remained tightlipped about Season 9, but he did say this: "We're going to see angels and demons intersect a lot this year. It's going to be really fun and interesting. And a free-for-all."

"You can look forward to the boys being knee deep in angel problems this year."

35 Comments
Comments (32)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Thanks for the recap of the panel!

I can only hope that they'd already fired two certain writers (for delivering us such incomprehensible "gems" as Taxi Driver or Man's Best Friend with Benefits) and perhaps got a hold of someone new who has a proper grip on the mythology (damn you, Edlund, damn you).
Flag
Simply, Bobby is coming back as an angel.
Flag
Bobby can't come back as an angel. It would contradict episode 2.13 'House of the Holy' when they say that Men do not become Angels.
Flag
Am sure they will think of a proper-n-fittin- explanation, after all it'll be a season of "free-for-all". There is something about the those words that tells me ish is goin to be very different next season, like some rules may no longer matter, norms no longer in play and i AM SO LOOKIN FORWARD to that!!
Flag
I really hope we get to see this:
Flag
It doesn't really matter. The Winchester boys are in my blood and whatever they do is okay by me, and I have to say honestly, I've never seen a bad episode. Some are better than others, but a bad one, no way.
Flag
Oh, I could think of a few genuinely bad ones. Even despite all my love for the show. But with the excluson of season 7 and Amelia, these have been very rare. Which is one of the quality traits of Supernatural.
Flag
Right on Muderboy.
Flag
I can't wait. Season 9 sounds awesome! But even when the quality varies like in the last couple seasons, I don't care...I love my boys!! I can't wait to have them back on my screen.

Their panels & interviews are always a lot of fun & this one had some great lines ("that's why we have Mark Sheppard!" lol). I look forward to watching it!

Flag
Well, not to contradict Carver but we saw Castiel enamoured with eating (when they were battling the 4 horsemen) as well as liquor (when dealing with the false prophet).

But, "what comes after" sounds like a hoot. I envision a scene similar to "Demolition Man" only instead of the three sea shells it's toilet paper and plumbing.
Flag
Actually. That was Jimmy's (Castiel's vessel) hunger for red meat that had been affected by the horseman. In the latter I'd say since he was sad he didn't drink because he was thirsty, but because he wanted to get drunk.

Castiel has never been physically hungry or thirsty before. Which is what they're talking about.
Flag
That's not a trailer for S9, it's a recap of S8...
Flag
Did you really expect anything different? Most network TV shows that start in the fall don't begin production until mid to late July. They have nothing to show now
Flag
Umm Arrow, another CW show has a season 2 trailer. plus, the link to the article said there was a season 9 trailer not a season 8 recap. bait and switch.
Flag
Arrow has a season 1 RECAP posing as a season 2 trailer JUST THE SAME. Watch it again and please tell me where you see NEW footage for the upcoming season. It is NO different than what Supernatural did here.

Those trailers are put there to appease thirsty fans and further build anticipation for the new season since, they don't start filming til mid to late July.

Now if you want an example of NEW footage, check out The Walking Dead. They started production months ago and actually have NEW footage from the upcoming season.

Flag
If you watched Arrow you'd realize the majority of their season 2 trailer is new footage. this supernatural trailer is complete recap, nothing new.

(Note the period, that means end of story)
Flag
OdumC. That is NOT a season 2 trailer, it is a season 1 RECAP with 3% footage (which may or may not be aired) put there to appease US. Where do you see 75% new footage?

Read and research for yourself and you will have no problem finding out how the vast majority of network TV works.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
How about the footage with Black Canary.. or, you know, all the OTHER new footage in Arrow's season 2 trailer. seriously, try watching it. it's 75% new footage from an upcoming season, NOT a 100% recap like this.

And yes, Walking Dead has new footage. same as Arrow. same as this link PROMISED.
Flag
Flag
Flag
While watchign I thought "damn that is a lot of S 08 review ... where is the new stuff?!??!"
Flag
Yeah I was about to writte the same things. Not a trailer just a recap.
Flag
In paragraph 2, it's "Crowley" and "worse", not "Crawley" and "worth" :)

And also, I'm really really looking forward to season 9 (once I finally catch season 8, that is...). I'm a recent Supernatural addict :D
Flag
also -Sheppard grumbled, "The don't let me do anything."- THEY don't let me do anything...
Flag
Well rest assured that the "trailer" above is actually just LAST TIME ON SUPERNATURAL! So you won't have to wait to see any of that story once you get to season 8. Hopefully they will post an actual Season 9 trailer at some point. Happy marathoning osdawaya16:)
Flag
Staff
We fixed the typos—likely a result of speed-writing in Hall H! Sorry for the misuse of "trailer" term; I didn't realize it didn't have *any* new stuff since Arrow's totally did! (I'm not a Supernatural viewer.) We'll try to clean up the headline.
Flag
Speed-writing will get you every time! ;) (Side note: I love these panel recaps!)
Flag
This is what passes for a trailer these days? It's worse than teaser trailers, and I hate those.
Flag
Cant wait.
The CW videos have hardly any new material in them (same type of video for TVD) which is a shame - i'm not saying "give us spoilers", more like "give us something special"
Flag
Dear Supernatural, here are a few things I want for season 9:

1. Make Abaddon the Big Bad. She was REALLY disappointing in the season finale. You could've taken her out of the episode altogether and it wouldn't change the episode at all. Which is a shame since she's arguably stronger than Lilith and Alistaire, two of the most powerful demons in the show.

2. Kill Crowley. As much as I love him, Four seasons of making the Winchesters lives miserable is enough. I got my wish of having him be the Big Bad for a full season, and he was brilliant. I don't want him being like Meg, whose purpose became pointless once Lucifer was defeated. Have Crowley go out on a high note.

3. DON'T bring back Lucifer. His story is over. Season 7's Hallucifer was a special treat for the fans, but there's no way you could bring Luci back without being a rehash of the near-perfect season 5.

4. Keep the Bat Cave. It's awesome, and full of possibilities. Better yet, focus more on the Men of Letters. Season 8 seemed a little jumbled with the M.O.L.s episodes thrown in on a pretty basic premise of closing the doors to Hell.

5. NO SAM/AMELIA FLASHBACKS!!! The first half of season 8 was almost unbearable to watch because of those stupid and completely unnecessary flashbacks put into every episode. The whole thing could've been done in one episode, like season 4's "I know what you did last summer." Why the hell did they stretch it out for 8 and a half episodes? In fact, make sure Amelia never sets foot in Sam's life ever again!

6. Don't make Metatron evil. He seems more interesting as an underappreciated angel out to avenge himself for Heaven constantly taking advantage of him. I don't want him going ax crazy like Luci, Michael, Raphael, or God-Cas.
More +
Flag
Pretty much my feelings exactly. I HATE the Amelia story. Stupid and uninteresting. They could have given Sam a much more believable and less boring relationship/adventure/"unicorn. Sigh.
Flag
i think you dont get it,crowley is THE KING OF HELL,hell does not switch master in a decade when hell is forever.

Sam and dean are humans so they live for 80 years
80 years is nothing for hell
i think it is normal when he is replaced over lets say 500 years or more.
dean and sam cant just kill every super boss because they would have done so,and there would not be evil....not gonna happen.

But they could do a twist so we dont see crowly much,but i would not like it,he is just like dean sam and cas now supernatural.

Meg whas just a bugg
Crowly is satan/king of hell now
Flag
Follow this Show
Members