Commander in Chief

First Choice

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Oct 04, 2005 on ABC

• While better than the premiere, the writers failed to develop the main characters and insisted on continueing with several implausible premises. Despite that, some of the consistancy and development of themes outlined in the pilot gave made this episode

This show seems to be developping slowly. While it has an interesting premise - a female President - it seems that the writers want to stretch our imaginations in what they want us to believe.

Essentially, her choice of a Democratic (apparently they're the minority in both houses) Vice President, to an Independent President just seemed to stretch believability. Wanting what she considered to be the right man for the job is one thing, but do the writers just expect us to believe that she thinks she'll be able to get any legislative agenda through a Republican dominated Congress doing that? Not to mention the trouble that Templeton alluded to giving her during the confirmation process. Trying to establish the show as being ideologically neutral and utopian is one thing, but this just seems to be pushing it.

The continuity of issues from the first episode, the press wanting to know what happened with the extraction of the Nigerian woman and the continued resignation of various appointments who didn't want to continue on with Allen's administration was also quite nice. They did a better job with the President's personal secretary compared to either the Labour Secretary or Press Secretary, since neither of them really specified, like the secretary did, if they were leaving because she was refusing to carry out his mandate or if it was because she was a woman.

The show still seems to be unclear on it's direction, because the writers still haven't really developped any of the characters. All they've shown us is that President Allen is very determined, to the point of being stubborn, as well as an idealist, while Templeton is a duplicitous, power hungry party boss.

While this show is already showing a large trend of moving away from a West Wing style political drama, it still has some merit as an executive focused idealist vision of American politics. The writers really just need to pick up the pace and develop their storylines with some depth, and some characters we can get attached to.

They also need to do it pretty quick, since if they keep this up I think the show could quite easily get dumped at the end of the season.