Commander in Chief

First Disaster

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 01, 2005 on ABC

• Another excellent episode.

Another great episode.
    We can now see that the relationship between Mac and her Husband and the rest of the family is under strain.
    It would be a very difficult situation to be in.
    Mac is a very strong character and I would love for her to really stick it up Templeton!
  • An episode focused on the horrors of hurricanes.

This was the sixth episode of the series. In it, the president must deal with two crisises, the hurricane and an oil spill. President Allen, though fictional, did a better job than George Bush. When there is trouble, instead of reading to children after hearing of a crisis, she took action. The fictional president really did her job well.

It seems that the House Speaker is ganging up on her by making the President's friends become enemies.

This script was well written and I can honestly say that the show is getting better and better. Good Job ABC for creating such a wonderful political show!
  • Was a very interesting episode. the dad finally put is foot down to being first man lady and the president stood up to the speaker. no more hiding the fact that he wantes her destroyed.

I didn't think this episode would be any good. i mean based on a oil tanker spill couldn't they have used like a military situation. but it ended up being really good. i like how she finally confronted the speaker and how she made him wait just like he did to her. but they could have done a little better with making the oil tanker seem more dangerous. i also liked that the first man took the job and gave the president a shake up instead of just being her first woosie. the thing with the daughter was kinda wierd i wonder where it is going.
  • a good show for the people

i see this show because it makes me closeres to the reallity of been a president and what they have to go every day in their jobs. I said it befoere and say ot again this show has the makings to be the next west wing or even better. The writers make a good job shifting from topic to topic in every episode. The only thing thta i do not like is the caracter of speaker of the house and his agresivnes as is show to us by the writers because he wants the job of president
  • This episode had so many closer decisions to be made. There was the environmental decision. Of course you must protect the future as well as the present. The eldest daughter is having her struggles. The father and son are having their struggles. I lo

This Episode depicted how important critical decision-making may be. The only downfall which I'm sure will be remedied similar to "The Contender", is the horrible depiction of a young girl's adventure in love. For a show ahead of its time, it is still behind in the freedom and responsibility women just as men have in choice.
  • Let's keep hailing the female Chief!

Another great episode! I love that they took something Americans are experiencing in real-life (hurricane season), made it real, and showed the world how a President should really handle a crisis! (Mac gets up IMMEDIATELY when reading to the children) I know some viewers are getting tired of the family stories but I for one am loving them...Geena Davis as a mommy makes for a more endearing President and family show. If the show was all about politics it would only be 'The West Wing' sans a "wee-wee."
  • Basically, I love every episode of Commander in Chief and plan to watch it until the end.

I enjoyed this episode. The tension between the
    president and the first gentleman continues to
    bother me. I really like them as a couple and want them to get along. I am not worried about a
    separation or anything like that but ... I am concern about the closeness of the press sec. to the first gentleman. I hope that relationship remains clean. It is obvious that he loves the president very much but I think he feels neglected at times. As always, I love Geena Davis' performance as the president, mom and wife. GREAT SHOW!!!
  • Love Donald Sutherland and Gina Davis but would like to see them get past the bickering and get to what is going to happen. But feel that will be a season ended episode. Would be nice to see someone side with the president.

Could someone please let me know what happened in the last 5 minutes of the show as my the station I watch this show on continues to run the show 5 minutes after the hour. So my pvr didnt catch the end. I really enjoyed this episode sorry to see the kids guard get fired I think that was unfair. The kids should go to a private school.
  • An above average, well written episode.

In this episode, Mac is dealing with her first natural disaster while having to deal with family problems in the privacy of the White House. After the hurricane hit Florida and Mac learns of the tanker leaking the oil, and wants to bring the ship into a Florida port, with Speaker of the House Nathan Tempelton, being true to form is against the idea, mainly due to the fact that he wasn't able to get off Air Force One by the same route as Mac, and the episode revolves around his feeling of being left out of a photo op. Templeton then brings in the govenor of Florida to help force Mac, through the media into sinking the leaking tanker. However, what I liked about this part of the storyline is how Mac is able, yet again to use the law to get around the law and strike a deal with Templeton and the govenor and bring the tanker into a Military base in Florida. On the family front, I think that it was nice to see how the first family is dealing with have Mac as President, like Rebecca wanting to have some free time with her boyfriend and Rod feeling inadequate as the first gentleman due to the ridcule. I found it interesting to see how he found it easier to confide in Kelly than Mac about his plans on accepting the job of baseball comissioner, mainly because of the possibility of maybe the first husband having an affair with a staff member of his wife. In all, I found this to be an entertaining episode.
  • A most enjoyable show.

I must say I am enjoying this show, immensely. I have not been so glued to a show in years. I disagree with the reviews that seem to paint the plots as predictable or dull.

This episode was no exception. The twists and turns in the never ending saga of the barbs, slings and arrows between Mac and Templeton are interesting to watch.

As usual, Templeton cannot be trusted. I am glad, though, that the writers do not, even for a second, allow Mac to be manipulated or weak. I am glad she stands her ground. I believe it is an accurate portrayal of the cunning, yet, fair-mindedness that a woman could bring to the highest position in the free world. It is refreshing to see a show willing to go this far.

I really loved the fact that Mac beat Templeton and the FL governor within the creative confines of existing laws. I like the way she is earning the respect of other officials who are more than glad to help her thwart the various obstacles (usually originating with Templeton) being placed in her way. It gives us all a chance to rally to the support of our heroine.

The portrayal of the first family is, probably, pretty accurate, as well. I can only imagine the experience the “first man” is going to encounter. I find the portrayal of the three kids - two teenagers, to be believable, as well, but care should be taken because it is a bit too predictable which brings me to underscore this aspect of the shows so far. That the oldest daughter is, constantly, in trouble is a bit too predictable. This show continues the tendency. I would like something a bit more original in this area. The slip in judgment of the secret service person, the hounding of the daughter to the point of danger, etc., then the replacement of the agent, even the regret of the daughter were all very predictable. We have seen this before – many times in other movies, shows, etc.

The intrigue of the first man having the enticement of the commissioner of baseball job offer is an interesting twist. It should offer some great possibilities in future episodes.

Finally, my highest praise for the most enjoyable part of this episode – I can’t help myself – has to be the scene where Mac is reading the book to kids at the hurricane shelter. When whispered the disastrous news in her ear of the damaged tanker, rather than wasting even a second – no pensive, darting glances, either; no pondering how a president should be conducting him or herself; no hesitation, whatsoever; Mac, immediately, smiling, all the while, recruits one of the kids to take over the reading, as she is jumping up to handle our nation’s crisis. I LOVE IT!!!!

My mouth dropped open. My kudos to the guts of the writers. May you all avoid the IRS audits in your futures. I await your next efforts to right the snafus of the all too real “actors” in our current administration – if only for an hour every week.