Commander in Chief

First... Do No Harm

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Oct 25, 2005 on ABC

• It doesn't have to be the West Wing to be enjoyable.

I don't see why people hold it up against the West Wing and find this show lacking. It isn't trying to be WW, it's more of a soap opera/drama sort of show, and proud of it. Why not? It's entertaining, I don't regret spending an hour watching it.

I did find the interplay between father/son painful- Rod acted so out of character, flying off handle like that, it almost looked like he was going to beat the boy! And then later, he brings up the subject again, and I thought he would be more reasonable, but no, he goes and starts lecturing again. Maybe as a teenager, I hoped he would be more understanding, but the character was pretty blind about how to handle his son. Don't misunderstand, though, I thought Horace was an idiot for getting into a fight, but I never understood why guys choose to use violence to make their point. So who knows, maybe that was appropriate given the taunts, but I didn't like it.

Kelly is a sweet character, she's the most human and accessible of them all. She has doubts in herself, but aims to do her best and prove herself, and I love how she dishes it out to that loser- "You're, like, so fired" she mocks him. Wonderful scene! I thought she was going to cave and let it go, but she regrouped wonderfully. Shows she's a great actress, that the audience can't predict whether she's already steeling herself to deliver the setdown, it really was up in the air whether she would let the jerk walk over her or not.

Little kid's cute, annoying and believable. That thing where she raced in and shrieked while her mom was on the phone...typical kid thing, but poor Mac! The middle child can be a bit of a pain, always thinking she's so burdened, the world's out to get her...grow up!

Anyway, the plot was good. I saw that "I don't want to hear about torture" implication as soon as she said it, but I guess she's so moralistic that it didn't strike her at the time, that it might be an instruction to go ahead but leave her out of the loop, so she could claim she didn't know. But I don't know that I agree with her "It's there to protect us, to protect our citizens from torture in other countries". They'd probably go ahead, regardless of whether America tortured prisoners, but I don't support torture anyway, so I'm glad that she took that stance. It's a tough question, even though things worked out well.

And that's what gets a lot of people- that there are these nice, neat answers to everything, when real life tends to screw people over. But that's why I like watching Com-in-Chief, because I know it'll end happily, and the family will still be together and the country will be safe.