Commander in Chief

First Strike

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Oct 11, 2005 on ABC

• "Don't mess with my kids!" Great work, Mac. :)

Last night's episode was brilliant. Simply brilliant.

I appreciated getting some more backstory on Templeton, and I liked the realism of what the first family has to go through. I wish the eldest daughter wasn't so stuck up -- it's incredible to me that Mac has allowed her to think of the world in such elitist terms -- but she's never been comfortable with Mac, so she's being her own person.

I liked how Mac brought her press secretary into the loop, and she did a good job of being poised and capable, giving some very good statements in the face of Mac's going off text.

And I enjoyed the First Gent's prep work with the veep candidate.

Mostly, I thought that the writing was interesting and it made me think of what was possible in the face of a situation like that -- murdered DEA agents. Mac's response was intriguing. She thought well outside the box. She took the seasoned advice she was given and synthesized a new approach that ultimately -- and I recognize this is one of those things that really shouldn't be resolved in an hour, and it's likely there will be some blowback -- empowered the people of a nation to take back their government.

That was some good storytelling.

Geena Davis is just incredible. She's so tall and beautiful and she really carries this role well. I can so entirely believe her in the role of president, and together with the writers, they are really paving the way for not only a female president, but damn I miss having an intelligent president.

I loved the closing scene with her young daughter having fallen asleep with her mommy and daddy. It was touching, after Burgess' son told her she'd never see Mac again -- she just wouldn't -- and after she tried to get to see Mac and didn't have an appointment. Poor little thing. She's just the cutest little kid in the world.

I also loved Burgess' son pointing out the spelling mistake in the plaque. I'm guessing that that must be real, right? Fun.

All in all, an excellent episode and a deeply satisfying show. Keep up the good work, everyone.