Commander in Chief Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Oh well...that's it...the helmet haired lady has finally sung! ABC Pulls CiC

XeryusOnline

[1]May 2, 2006
    • level: 4
    ABC has announced (zap2it) that CIC will be pulled from the schedule for the rest of sweeps with 3 episodes left unaired. They may air them in the summer but nothing is certain. Although we may get them on iTunes at some point.

After the success of last seasons new shows, ABC still have a handle on how to kill a very promising and highly rated show.

With Invasion also looking a bit ropey, ABC have not managed to find any new dramas (that they haven't killed) that will get a sophomore season. Even FOX (the show killer) have managed to make 2 dramas, and a couple of hopefull comedies - ABC has done OK with Freddie but that's all I can think of.
    A very poor showing indeed for ABC.

At least they managed not to kill Grey's Anatomy.
    Edited on 05/04/2006 5:16pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cookaberry

[2]May 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    No!!! You have to be kidding!!! ugh, I hate it when they just pull shows especially when they still have episodes left. Without WW and CiC there will be like no good political dramas!!! AHHHHH!!!! (tears hair out!)

desert05

[3]May 2, 2006
    What an insanely stupid thing to do. The show proved it's merit early on, and ABC sabotaged it. I hope the show wins a bucket load of Emmys this year, and each winner slams ABC and the production company's screw ups. This show had every chance of being a hit, until ABC messed with it. You don't spit on actors of the caliber of Donald Sutherland and Geena Davis.....it is shameful.

Giant_Chicken

[4]May 3, 2006
    • level: 21
    bummer... I never saw the show but I hate when a show is pulled without closure to the story.

Example: Carnivale, Joey, Reunion. PUBLIC WANTS CLOSURE!

lovethalis

[5]May 3, 2006
    • level: 7
    What a slap in the face from ABC!  If I was Geena Davis, I would NEVER work for them again.  This is the second time they do this to her......

RyeCatcher00

[6]May 3, 2006
    • level: 3
    do you know if they will keep the episodes up on abc.com??  I wonder if Grey's Anatomy will go up

thecomedianky

[7]May 3, 2006
    • level: 19

Here's what was on TvGuide.com (click the link)

ABC has pulled Commander in Chief from the schedule and will burn the remaining three shows after May sweeps.  They pretty much killed it.

This was such a good show.

djariya

[8]May 3, 2006
    Very sad that this show went from the seasons highest rated new drama to cancellation.

ABC totally sabotaged the show. If I were Rod Lurie, I'd be very leary with how ABC will handle his new show that he's currently developing.

Geena Davis should look for a new show on CBS.

marymoss71

[9]May 3, 2006
    • level: 9
    I think a lot of it is Rod Lurie's fault though. He was constantly late on turning in scripts and such whichc is why the show needed a new showrunner. I'd say the problem started with poor managment and then just dovetailed.

Horselover1

[10]May 3, 2006
    • level: 18
    I am SO upset by this! I LOVE this show. How can they do this??

This might be a crazy idea, but is there any way another channel could air CiC? Even Lifetime?

omegia1

[11]May 3, 2006
    • level: 2
    Thats bull man im so freakin...argh!!!

SWERJ321

[12]May 3, 2006
    Sure, they pull it right before what promised to be the best ep with Templeton getting to be President. How can a network with three of the best dramas (Lost, Housewives, Grey's) make such stupid decisions?

MadMusician29

[13]May 4, 2006
    This was a show that I had to pay attention to and watch. Lots of subplots with many story-line overlaps into other weeks. I thought that it might be too much for the average viewer. They actors were great and I enjoyed seeing a woman president.

macallengirl28

[14]May 4, 2006
    • level: 1
    Horselover1 wrote:
    I am SO upset by this! I LOVE this show. How can they do this??

This might be a crazy idea, but is there any way another channel could air CiC? Even Lifetime?

Lifetime is a great idea, we should send it to um!!

lpe

[15]May 5, 2006
    From what I can see here, the show was both high rated and had many viewers. What was ABC's problem? Only poor management? Or was the storyline too risky (like the Book of Daniel)?

Will the show get a descent ending or be hanging in the air forever? I'm thinking about the ending after the three unaired episodes. Does anybody know this? I really hate when I don't get a full circled season.

asbyte

[16]May 5, 2006
    • level: 1
    Wow! This is a tragedy. The first season was very intelligent, until the last show. It seems they changed writers. This season was not as intelligent or real in the writing and moving the time was not a good idea without massive advertisement, but I see why they did it because of American Idol (Which really fell short this season). I believe CIC was too good for the major networks, because it was entertaining and made our current system of government seemed --- stupid (almost as if to say a woman can do a better job than president bush).

ABC should sell the show to one of the cable networks (maybe the one the sopranos is on, or oxygen), and put back the intelligent realism in the writing. In my diminutive opinion, CIC was Number 1. The acting was darn near perfect. To bad ABC, you lost another customer that only watched your network because of that show.

danharr

[17]May 5, 2006
    • level: 45
    Despite all the posturing I did like this show and don't see why it had to be moved around and killed by the network.  It was worth the price of admission just to see the top notch acting.

cookaberry

[18]May 5, 2006
    It's officially over! It didn't even show last night! This makes me so sad and depressed!!! UGH!!!

WonderSlug

[19]May 5, 2006
    • level: 4

Here's a thought:

Since "West Wing" is off the air in a few weeks, maybe NBC can pick up CiC and put it in West Wing's timeslot, Sundays at 8pm.

8speed

[20]May 6, 2006
    • level: 3

SWERJ321 wrote:
    How can a network with three of the best dramas (Lost, Housewives, Grey's) make such stupid decisions?

My question too. WTF?!?

I forget, but what took CiC's place on Tuesday's before Boston Legal (Thank god this show got pick up) ? I mean how badly was it doing in the ratings? If anything they shoulda kept it there for the rest of the season and then switch the time for Season 2. The uber-long hiatus for the second half of this season didn't help either.

NBC should pick it up. They've got crap for shows (except ER, and even that is flopping in the ratings last I heard), and desparately needs quality (award-winning no less) shows on their networks.

NBC has some big and popular shows ending this year (Will & Grace, West Wing), so they're gonna need all the help they can get. What are they, number 3 or 4 in the network standings? This show can only help them.

Edited on 05/06/2006 4:50am