Commander in Chief Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Oh well...that's it...the helmet haired lady has finally sung! ABC Pulls CiC

desert05

[21]May 6, 2006
    • level: 12
    I just looked at the overnight ratings for Thursday, and it's very interesting. We all heard how CiC wasn't producing in the Thursday line-up, but here's what happened in their timeslot this week (and the lead in show).

American Inventor's second installment of the evening had 6.52 million viewers, PrimeTime Live (the CiC replacement, in it's old timeslot), 5.26 million viewers.

Commander in Chief averaged 7.5 million viewers in the first two outings on Thursday. So, where was the "win" for replacing it during sweeps, and cancelling it?? Also, over at NBC, The Office is considered a "hit" and has been renewed, and this week had 7.53 million viewers. I wish ABC would explain their real reasons for cancelling CiC!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MadMusician29

[22]May 6, 2006
    • level: 2

asbyte wrote:
    ...and made our current system of government seemed --- stupid (almost as if to say a woman can do a better job than president bush).
    I don't think we needed this show to make our current administration appear stupid.  Or prove that a qualified woman president would have much to offer.Just watch the evening news.

Anyway, I will never understand why they decided to move it to Thursday evenings. CBS and NBC have such strong line-ups that night.

cookaberry

[23]May 7, 2006
    • level: 12
    MadMusician29 wrote:

asbyte wrote:
    ...and made our current system of government seemed --- stupid (almost as if to say a woman can do a better job than president bush).
    I don't think we needed this show to make our current administration appear stupid.  Or prove that a qualified woman president would have much to offer.Just watch the evening news.

Anyway, I will never understand why they decided to move it to Thursday evenings. CBS and NBC have such strong line-ups that night.

I agree! All you have to do is follow current events and listen to Bush speak to think our administartion is stupid.

mytrini

[24]May 12, 2006
    • level: 8
    I'm glad it's over. Since Lurie was replaced, the stories got worse and the moustache twirling villan (that would be the speaker), got more cartoonesque: "How can I foil President Allen this week? Ahahahahaha!". The only thing missing was the top hat and cloak and Sutherland's attire would have been complete. This show had a lot of potential but it got screwed unfortunately, by bad creative decisions and lame story telling. Nothing "sunny" ever happened, much like a British soap opera.

piggie8

[25]May 13, 2006
    • level: 19
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brunete20

[26]May 13, 2006
    • level: 63

According to ABC's website about Commander in Chief, it will return to a new night and time.  Wednesdays 10/9c.  It will return May 31 with an episode called "Elephant in the room." 

wallness

[27]May 14, 2006
    • level: 9

I like the show alot, especially before the return of this 2nd half...these recent episodes are rather plain, to be honest. Perhaps it's actually a wise decision to pull it off if the rest of the season follows the "new and improved" guide line...

Still quite disappointed in the cancellation nevertheless.

Krissy24

[28]May 18, 2006
    • level: 10
    XeryusOnline wrote:
    ABC has announced (zap2it) that CIC will be pulled from the schedule for the rest of sweeps with 3 episodes left unaired. They may air them in the summer but nothing is certain. Although we may get them on iTunes at some point.

After the success of last seasons new shows, ABC still have a handle on how to kill a very promising and highly rated show.

With Invasion also looking a bit ropey, ABC have not managed to find any new dramas (that they haven't killed) that will get a sophomore season. Even FOX (the show killer) have managed to make 2 dramas, and a couple of hopefull comedies - ABC has done OK with Freddie but that's all I can think of.
    A very poor showing indeed for ABC.

At least they managed not to kill Grey's Anatomy.

they might of moving it to thurday night agianst CSI.

MontyClift

[29]May 20, 2006
    • level: 2

desert05 wrote:
    I just looked at the overnight ratings for Thursday, and it's very interesting. We all heard how CiC wasn't producing in the Thursday line-up, but here's what happened in their timeslot this week (and the lead in show).

American Inventor's second installment of the evening had 6.52 million viewers, PrimeTime Live (the CiC replacement, in it's old timeslot), 5.26 million viewers.

Commander in Chief averaged 7.5 million viewers in the first two outings on Thursday. So, where was the "win" for replacing it during sweeps, and cancelling it?? Also, over at NBC, The Office is considered a "hit" and has been renewed, and this week had 7.53 million viewers. I wish ABC would explain their real reasons for cancelling CiC!

PT Live and American Inventor don't cost anywhere as much as Commander in Chief does to produce. Ensemble type dramas usually have to get great ratings to stay alive due to increasing costs. I don't believe Geena Davis & Donald Sutherland came cheap & if you add what they're making with the other salaries the rest of the cast makes, you weigh in what rate you can charge advertisers, and the math didn't add up. The studios are, after all numbers crunchers. The numbers didn't add up. Also, any tiny bit of "controversy" at all didn't help its cause.

macallengirl28

[30]May 31, 2006
    • level: 1

[QUOTE="asbyte"] I believe CIC was too good for the major networks, because it was entertaining and made our current system of government seemed --- stupid (almost as if to say a woman can do a better job than president bush). OK sorry if this offened any republicans, (Really.) Bush would make a great president, if my favorite food was green beans. Just to let you know, I hate green beans, and a women could do it better. Just think, if Laura would tell him what to do the saying would come to life, Behind Every Strong Man, Is A Strong Women. (Or something like that.) Sorry if I offened anyone.

(I ask that you please not slam me with e-mails about this comment.)

Edited on 05/31/2006 1:16pm

SWERJ321

[31]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 19
    I want you to look at the last scene of Elephant in the Room and tell me why in HELL ABC is letting this go.

RyeCatcher00

[32]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    I'll keep that in mind. I'm looking forward to finally getting another CiC fix. The Pistons won last night, and now I can watch teh episode off abc.com while I'm "working"...today is a good day.

lovethalis

[33]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    SWERJ321 wrote:
    I want you to look at the last scene of Elephant in the Room and tell me why in HELL ABC is letting this go.

Oh....sounds interesting! I taped it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I just wanted to be able to watch it in peace, without commercials.

RyeCatcher00

[34]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    cant blame you for that. there are a few ads when I watch off abc's site, but that's when I actually do some work. I've become totally obsessed with the site during my downtime (all the time?)

Horselover1

[35]Jun 2, 2006
    • level: 18

SWERJ321 wrote:

I agree.  Watching this episode (especially the final scene) reminnded me yet again what an amazing show this is.  Why can't ABC give it another chance?  This show is awesome!  It has great plots, excellent writing, and a strong cast.  It's one of the few quality shows on anymore (in my opinion). 

TV needs CiC.  It seems like all the shows on now days are reality, crime, & medical.  I have no interest in those.

macallengirl28

[36]Jun 2, 2006
    SWERJ321 wrote:

Watch the whole episode and you get the same effect. The West Wing just got axed and it was the only show like it. (A Political Drama) So why doesn't ABC see that if one show (that if it would have kept going would have been CiC biggist challenge,) that if that show got axed, as The West Wing did that all of The West Wings deciated fans would have been looking for a new show in the same type. (CiC) The show would grow in at least 2 million viewers.

Horselover1

[37]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 18
    I've been reading how fans of other shows have been 'campaigning' to get the networks to save their shows (or change their minds about canceling a show), by sending in objects to the TV networks. Such as, fans of "Everwood" are sending in pinecones.

Maybe we could try doing something like that. Such as making up campaign buttons for Mac to send in or even sending in little American flags? I know it's a long shot, I just REALLY hate to lose this show.

macallengirl28

[38]Jun 3, 2006

Horselover1 wrote:
    I've been reading how fans of other shows have been 'campaigning' to get the networks to save their shows (or change their minds about canceling a show), by sending in objects to the TV networks. Such as, fans of "Everwood" are sending in pinecones. Maybe we could try doing something like that. Such as making up campaign buttons for Mac to send in or even sending in little American flags? I know it's a long shot, I just REALLY hate to lose this show.

I think we should all try and do that. That would be awesome. Maybe we could do something like a pink piece of paper, something that would really stand out.

Peggy_Porcupine

[39]Jun 16, 2006
    • level: 13

Boy is this ever a familiar scene. CBS took JAG from its popular place in Tuesdays, moved it to Friday at 9 pm. Then, after a couple of years said they were cancelling it because it didn't get many in the 18 - 35 year range. Duh. What person in those years are HOME on Friday nights?????? Between working in Retail and dates and just out with the friends.....

Now we had the return of CiC and what did they do? Put it against ER & Without a Trace, 2 very strong programs. It was doomed to failure almost 'on purpose'. And ABC is surprised that it failed?????

Write letters. Push. JAG, after being cancelled from NBC moved to CBS and look at the wonderful ride they had - 10 years in total. (although they had a very unceremoniously ending - we was robbed!).

Just my 2 cents Canadian.

Peggy from Porcupine
    aka
    Peggy Bendell

PatW10

[40]Jun 16, 2006
    I am shocked that CIC is being canceled. So many of my favorite shows gone/ tho ABC seems to be the worst. Joan of Arcadia never even had a finally/ Threshold either. Where do we e-mail that they hear our outcry. does it matter that we care ? I never feel like e-mailing the station or broadcast company matters at all.