Commander in Chief

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Sep 27, 2005 on ABC

• Very interesting pilot. It was slightly above average. However, if you're a political junkie like me, you really need to suspend your disbelief while watching.

Well, I thought this was a pretty good pilot episode. Will I skip watching House again to see it next week? That remains to be seen.

Strengths
    -LOVED the cast. Geena Davis, Leslie Hope, Harry Lennix, Anthony Azizi, the amazing Donald Sutherland: great acting.
    -Interesting beginning
    -I really loved the Templeton character. I could feel most women roll their eyes at him. Kinda reminds me of the love-to-hate President Logan on 24.
    -In fact, that confrontation between the two was great television. Good stuff.
    -As a 24 junkie, I really loved how people with connections to that show had such big parts. Leslie Hope was amazing as Teri Bauer and she's amazing now as.....well, whoever she is, give me a break, it's only the pilot. Anthony Azizi has popped up on 24 as two different characters and did a good job tonight. And then the head honcho's father himself (Donald Sutherland) was brilliant as Templeton.
    -Like the idea of the First Gentleman.
    -Hilarious scene with the girl spilling her drink on Allen

Weaknesses
    -Flashbacks? Oh God, they have enough of those on Lost, does this show really need them too?
    -An INDEPENDENT?!?! Hell no. I can believe a woman, but an independent VP? No. No way. Way too Hollywood. I guess it's better than The West Wing.
    -Way too much playing up the woman angle. Yes, yes, she's a woman. The first one. But is that all there's going to be to her? Seemed kinda like a one-trick pony to me.
    -Like The West Wing, the show seems to suffer from some Hollywood-esque dialogue. Some of the stuff just makes you roll your eyes.
    -Cheesy bit with the teleprompter cutting out

Did you notice that the kids look NOTHING like Geena Davis? Ha.

I hope the show doesn't keep playing up the first woman one-trick pony. Yes, it's going to be very historic when our first lady president is elected, but they could've approached that issue a little more subtly. Although I am anticipating her first moment confronting someone like the leader of Syria. :)

One last thing, this show kinda makes you angry. How come they get such articulate and smart presidents only on TV?
  • This was garbage!

0.1
    I have seen many things that Geena Davis has done, and enjoyed most of it. This however is not her best work! If this is the type of show that Ms Davis will be putting out now I must say that I have to alter my high opinion of this fine actress. This was quite obviously a ploy to promote Hitlery for the next president. All I can hope for is a quote from the original Hawkeye from the movie M*A*S*H Donald Sutherland, to save us from her. This show put quality television back 100 years, and that's saying a lot since television programming has yet to reach that landmark year. In my humble opinion, cancel this show before everyone turns to cable, movies & DVDs permanently - forcing all to pay to have quality television in their living room, rather than what we have become accustomed to these past 30 plus years.
  • Rough start with a bit much overpreaching...but has potential.

Let's face it, the idea of a woman PResident is an intriguing one for a series. How would Muslim allies react to a female leader? How would veteran military officers feel about a woman bossing them around? The show has potential and hopefully will get the chance to show it.

I admit Davis is a bit wrong for the part. She seems a tad too soft at times but can show backbone like when she makes the decision not to resign. You can tell how hard it is for her to face a White House where no one wants her and even the PResident's secretary says she doesn't like her being here. That's a great touch, showing that women will not automatically follow a female PResident. I hope that's played with more.

I am worried the family stuff will overwhelm things. Having her husband dealing with being "the FIrst Gentleman" and finding out he won't be her chief of staff was good. Not as good was her daughter predicatably dumping a drink on her blouse before her big speech. And while it's good to have that conflict with her other daughter, honestly...how many teenage girls rebel by becoming conservative?

Sutherland, I can tell, is going to be the reason to watch. He's great in the scene with Allen, joking and throwing out those incredibly backward sayings and believing them too. I loved the shot of the look on his face when Allen throws her resignation down and he realizes too late that he's just pushed her the wrong way. Messing up her teleprompter was a wicked touch and how he says "I'll always be right behind you" is truly chilling. I look forward to seeing him try to play around and no doubt that'll push Allen to get a VP as soon as possible.

I was a bit thrown that the first act of a woman President would be to send armed forces to rescue a Nigerian woman. That seemed rather much and maybe not saying the right thing about her administration. Still, this does have potential and hopefully, it'll grow as it goes on. Maybe not the next "West Wing" but hopefully a good drama nonetheless.
  • West Wing Imitation

This is a pale (no pun intention Geena) copy of one of the better dramas in a long time. The writing had better pick up.

For someone who isn't supposed to be weak or petty, (if Moses had been a woman) she seems a bit weak and petty to me.

First lady is a guy? Hilarious. Pink office and menu decisions? Mac&Cheese and steak. 24-7.

Just kidding.

The strength of WW is enough for me to give the show a chance. I will try to remain openmided and watch a few more.

Of course, at this rate, I don't know how many puns they'll have left. (Already used ask for directions and "once a month-hit the button")

Here's hoping.
  • We're off to a good start.

We meet Mackenzie Allen in France on the sort of go-away mission vice presidents get interrupted from when something important happens to the boss. She's off seeking to provide asylum to a Nigerian woman who is essentially a political prisoner and scapegoat who will be killed in a barbaric fashion.

It was the last thing on her plate as vice president. It was handled deftly as her first official international act as president.

The situation at the White House seemed a little more relaxed than it would be in the wake of a leader's death and a peaceful transfer of power to a person who was so politically different than him.

I'm glad they explained how he would choose //her//, specifically, to be his veep, but quite opposed to Donald Sutherland saying the vice president taking the office of the president in the event of the president's death a "coup d'etat," that was, in fact, exactly what was supposed to happen.

Burgess chose her as his veep, but the //nation// elected her at its vice president. If they were that uncomfortable with her, they'd have elected his opponent.

I think the family is going to end up being too prominent, but that's the director's vision for the show. I just hope the whole show isn't going to be about the world's cutest daughter spilling juice on her at every turn.

No, they weren't able to do a lot of character development, but I did notice something -- I don't remember her ever expressing remorse in the wake of his death. I'm getting that she was shut out, that she was being asked by everyone to resign, that even the president's secretary expressed distaste for her, and that she had to be strong, but as an American -- and one for whom //none// of this is abstract -- a few private tears would not have been out of place.

They had a lot to do in this pilot, and I think they did it well. She was poised and appropriate in dealing with everyone she had to deal with, and even before Congress, she was remarkably composed when her TelePrompTer cut out and she did a very good job with that speech.

The misogyny expressed by some of the characters in this show will get very, very ugly. And a whole lot of it isn't going to be entirely believeable.

But //Geena's// believable.

I felt awful for her husband. He needed to shut that protocol person down right away. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to find her shot through the head in the Rose Garden. She was mincing, rude, emasculating and deeply insensitive.

Mac's brushing him for Teddy's chief of staff -- who doesn't approve of her -- was also not especially sensitive.

And yes, that image of Mac at the window in the opening credits was ripped right from "The West Wing" -- the color scheme, the fading in, everything.

I have never in my life been in a situation where I had to admonish my little sister to "have a sense of history." That was just ... that was a very nice scene. And I did like how her daughter, who disagrees with her on policy matters (I guess we'll find out which ones later), did ultimately attend her speech to show her support of her mom. That was nice.

For right now, for what we know, this is a president who puts people ahead of policy, but values stability, is aware of the value of a strong position (bringing the Nigerian ambassador into the Sit Room had exactly the right effect).

We'll see how she works with Congress, the media, talk radio, conservatives, liberals, her family, her fans (oh, G-d, her fans are going to be so over the top) and everything else. But this is a compelling character played well by a capable actress, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes.

We're off to a good start, here. :)
  • Witness the first woman Vice President become leader of the U.S.

When I first saw the previews for the pilot episode I thought that the show might be interesting to watch. Last night when I watched the first episode, I'm glad that I did watch it. I thought that it was well written, and that I was felling for Mac, because almost everybody up through to the dying President wanted her to resign, which she was planning on doing, until her little talk with Nathan Templeton changed her mind. It was also interesting to see that she appeared confident about her new role, but at times you can tell that Mac was extremely nervous, but didn't feel comfortable voicing to those close to her how nervious she was. This was a really interesting pilot episode that did a good job introducing the characters to the viewers at home.
  • The dying President ask the vice-president ask Mackanize Allen to resign and let the speaker of the house take her place. But After the death of a President, Allen decide not to resign and to become the first woman president ever. After taking the oath of

I thought that this was a good start. I really like how it was play out in the story line. President Allen seem like a weak president, but I hope that the character will grow strong and act like a true leader without breaking down. I thought it was great to see her Husband reacting how to handle the First Lady job. It'll be intresting how the series will turn out. I hope like the West Wing this will become a good strong show. I really did like the episode alot. My favorite moment has to be when the new president walk into the Oval Office for the first time. Knowing this is going to be a very huge job.
  • Commander-In-Chief Pilot Episode Geena Davis in the role of President of the United States?

I viewed this episode out of curiosity. Before tuning into the program, my first thought was my hesitancy in Geena Davis playing such a role. She has been in a number of fun flicks that are always enjoyable to me. However, I somehow could not envision her in this role.

I felt perplexed as to the believability of Geena playing the role of President of the United States. I was amazed that Ms. Davis gave a stunning and convincing characterization in this role. I liked the candor she demonstrated with her family as a mom and a wife. It illustrated the humanness as a woman, a mom and a leader. She also portrayed frankness and directness with her staff, cabinet members, etc.

Personable, honest, and professional along with a desire to do what is right will perhaps win over the audience of this upcoming television drama as Geena Davis characterizing the President of the United States. I believe the series has promise.

I plan on tuning in and viewing the events surrounding a presidency and the issues around a woman being in that position.
  • This show is obviously aimed at Hitlery Clinton for President - G_d help us is that happens!

0.2
    Geena Davis was a great actress - until now! This has her prostitute herself as a political pawn to get Hitlery Clinton elected in 2008. I for one do not want to see the Hildabeast as president. If they would have leaned more toward a Condoleezza Rice and less than Hitlery it would be a much better show. If this is the type of show that Ms Davis will be putting out now I must say that I have to alter my high opinion of this fine actress. This was quite obviously a ploy to promote Hitlery for the next president. All I can hope for is a quote from the original Hawkeye from the movie M*A*S*H Donald Sutherland, to save us from her. This show put quality television back 100 years, and that\'s saying a lot since television programming has yet to reach that landmark year. In my humble opinion, cancel this show before everyone turns to cable, movies & DVDs permanently - forcing all to pay to have quality television in their living room, rather than what we have become accustomed to these past 30 plus years.
  • With this person president let's turn our country over to the Terrorists, we'd be better off!

0.1
  • Female Vice-Presidant must make a choice.

I'm very excited to see a show about a female president! I'm not American, and I don't care about presidency and all that, but I think it would be really great to see a woman in office. I've seen some of the reviews of this show and the ignorant things some of the males have had to say... and I think it's sad. This show isn't bringing our TV back 100 years, the male views is bringing human life back 100 years. It's about equal rights. And I'm excited about this show! I think it will make a great series and I *hope* that it will do well. If not to show men out there that women can have power, and they can do it as well as, if not better than, a man. We need more shows like this. We need less sexist people, too.
  • Superb! Bravo, bravo!

This show is terrific. I especially enjoyed Ted Porter in the roll of Limo Agent Elderson. He's perfect for it, since the character's first name is Ted, too! Ha ha! Really though, I've been looking for Ted Porter's face ever since I saw the film "These Angels are Cruel", and I was so glad when I found out he's in the show.
  • CIC, para ser una serie que apuesta por la innovacion, no ha cumplido con las exigencias del publico. Al menos, este comienzo ha sido demasiado flojo para el teleespectador.

Allen se convierte en la primera Presidente mujer de los EUA, debido al fallecimiento del presidente en funciones. Sin embrago, sus inicios tienen graves contratiempos pues no cuenta con el apoyo de su partido, y menos aun de los contrarios. Y, si a ello sumamos que su hija no es afecta a la diplomacia politica, y el escaso don de mando que podria obtener en operaciones militares, todo indicaria que la pronta renuncia debe darse; mas Allen, mujer con larga trayectoria laboral y educativa, se enfrentara a los grandes retos que representa el dirigir un pais que, actualmente, define el actuar del mundo.

Dejando atras el resumen del primer episodio, no entusiasma la historiapresentada, pues la trama no es oscura, mas bien se desarrolla en un entorno suave, con poca crudeza politica y mucho tono rosa de familia y simpatias.
    Escenas como el poco movimiento alrededor del despacho presindecial hace pensar que no trabajan, o que todo se desarrolla en un orden de dependencia no gubernamental. Falta accion a la serie.
    El inicio d la trama tambien deja mucho que desear: rescataremos a una mujer que va a ser apedreada a como de lugar, pero mantendremos nuestras posiciones militares a cualquier precio. Ese doble discurso no es creible. Ademas, esa escena del helicoptero y sus rescatistas hace recordar a "Spy game". Eso es algo que no-se-debe-hacer en un primer capitulo.
    Por ultimo, la escena del discurso es para reir. ¿Es que todos estan sentados, sin mencionar palabra alguna durante su interlocucion? ¿Es posible que le corten el discurso a un presidente de EUA? Por favor, mas seriedad para con los televidentes.
    Esperemos que, al ser el primer capitulo, mejore en los siguientes episodios. Con mucha cautela seguire comentando esta serie, que no deja de ser punto a comparar con The West Wing.
  • Hail the Chief!

Here we have the first episode of a groundbreaking show with a groundbreaking concept. A female President? Will it work? Can it work? Will the most powerful nation flounder with a leader who can once a month go AWOL and blame it on PMS? :) Commander in Chief brings us a new idea that has been toyed with before but we've yet to see in our generation. Kudos to ABC for being adventurous! And what can we say about the casting? A better candidate than Geena Davis for the role of Ms. Prez could not have been found! She brings intelligence, along with poise and elegance to such a significant role. I'm curious to see how far this show will go, what storylines will be explored, and how for how long ABC will support it, but as for me, "they had me at 'the oath'!"
  • Cic rocks!!

Very good and tough pilot. I have never seen Geena Davies like this. it makes me think of Meredith Brooke's song.. She's a mother, a person, a human being, a carriers woman, a vice president, a sinner, someone who doubts, and she transmits that feeling really well. I am glad to see that a woman with such power can show that she isn't perturbed by the humps of life even during the Investiture Speech. I am willing to see what is going to happen after.
    Some people say this series is to favour a woman's candidature to the White House. Why not? I am willing to see that coming, even if I am not american. Everything that happens in the US has repercussions in the rest of the world.
    Talking about the rest of the world, in this first episode, the matter is in nigeria. I really want to see how Mackenzie Allen is going to deal with other sensitive problems in the world schema of security.
  • Very impressed.

I must say after watching the Pilot for Commander in Chief, I was extremeley impressed. Geena Davis' acting skills are fantastic (I now see why she won her golden globe), compared to a few years ago when she starred in the poorly rated 'The Geen Davis Show.' I was also quite suprised that a drama like this hadn't been done before now. Maybe now with this show, there may well be a Female President in 2008. I really did think they would have made a bigger deal out of her becoming the first famile President. Overall, I thought that Geena Davis convincingly played MacKenzie Allen, and I will be watching the rest of the series in the future. I can only hope that it continues to get better with each episode.
  • How Are \"FICTONAL\" Country Should Be!

The Pilot of Commander In Chief is one to remember. Not many times have we seen a vice president take the oath of office, especially a female vice president. Commander In Chief make fiction, a very possible realty. Some people wouldn\'t even think twice about have a female president, without diagreeing. Commander In Chief opens doors to people everywhere to do as they please in the politacial world, expressing that sex, does not matter.