Commander in Chief

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Sep 27, 2005 on ABC

• Very interesting pilot. It was slightly above average. However, if you're a political junkie like me, you really need to suspend your disbelief while watching.

Well, I thought this was a pretty good pilot episode. Will I skip watching House again to see it next week? That remains to be seen.

Strengths
    -LOVED the cast. Geena Davis, Leslie Hope, Harry Lennix, Anthony Azizi, the amazing Donald Sutherland: great acting.
    -Interesting beginning
    -I really loved the Templeton character. I could feel most women roll their eyes at him. Kinda reminds me of the love-to-hate President Logan on 24.
    -In fact, that confrontation between the two was great television. Good stuff.
    -As a 24 junkie, I really loved how people with connections to that show had such big parts. Leslie Hope was amazing as Teri Bauer and she's amazing now as.....well, whoever she is, give me a break, it's only the pilot. Anthony Azizi has popped up on 24 as two different characters and did a good job tonight. And then the head honcho's father himself (Donald Sutherland) was brilliant as Templeton.
    -Like the idea of the First Gentleman.
    -Hilarious scene with the girl spilling her drink on Allen

Weaknesses
    -Flashbacks? Oh God, they have enough of those on Lost, does this show really need them too?
    -An INDEPENDENT?!?! Hell no. I can believe a woman, but an independent VP? No. No way. Way too Hollywood. I guess it's better than The West Wing.
    -Way too much playing up the woman angle. Yes, yes, she's a woman. The first one. But is that all there's going to be to her? Seemed kinda like a one-trick pony to me.
    -Like The West Wing, the show seems to suffer from some Hollywood-esque dialogue. Some of the stuff just makes you roll your eyes.
    -Cheesy bit with the teleprompter cutting out

Did you notice that the kids look NOTHING like Geena Davis? Ha.

I hope the show doesn't keep playing up the first woman one-trick pony. Yes, it's going to be very historic when our first lady president is elected, but they could've approached that issue a little more subtly. Although I am anticipating her first moment confronting someone like the leader of Syria. :)

One last thing, this show kinda makes you angry. How come they get such articulate and smart presidents only on TV?