Commander in Chief

ABC (ended 2006)

RoxieVelma

Commander in Chief Fan Reviews (188)

• By far the worst show of the year or any years.

0.0
    By far the worst show of the year or any years. Only thing missing is Hillary stating her approval of show at end. Just plain dumb show. Liberal play book is plot and script for the show. Even the people that work on the show were part of St. Hillary's campaign staff.
  • Subliminal. I am not a fan of shows that have a political agenda. When I heard the name of the show and learned the premise, I could see the clinton handwriting all over this show and I was right

0.0
    IF this were just a show . . . BUT it it is not. What part of the budget for this show is funded by the Clinton campaign? I know that the infamous Clinton staffers are part of the writing stafffor this show, perhaps you should BILL this as the beginning of the upcoming Hillary Clinton Democratic campaign for the White House. I am totally against Hollywood trying to influence, subliminally or not, the political scene and I really do not want them using a weekly tv show to try and get a certain person elected to the highest office in the land. Will at least a part of the budget for the production of this show, etc. charged to the Clinton campaign fund or is this just another version of White Water
  • The campaign has begun...

0.0
    Despite claims by the series creator that this show's main character is patterned after some woman executive working for Martha Stewart, this is clearly an in-kind contribution to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign. However, as with Dan Rather, the guy simply lacks the stones to admit the truth and lacks the imagination to make up a believable lie.

There's nothing really new about this show. A woman head of state? Been there, done that -- Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, Elizabth I, etc. Republicans as the bad guys? Just watch any show that touches on politics and you get the same thing. Geena Davis? She was already over the hill when she did Thelma and Louise. I do give her one thing, though -- as is typical with female politicians, she is a rather manly woman. And no, manly is not the same thing as strong; I mean manly. Why not a black woman as the lead character? Oops, might make people think of Condoleeza, and she's one of those "Evil Republicans", isn't she?

And if I needed any further convincing that this is a campaign piece, when did ABC star re-airing episodes of new shows the same week they first air? Okay, they just did it with Lost and Invasion, but Lost is an established hit, and Invasion is paired with it in the schedule now.

This is a show that I do not want to miss by accident -- I want to intentionally not watch it.
  • At first glimpse, this show appears to be a cutting edge political drama. However, once you sit down and watch, you will find out that it is anything but. There are times while watching that I wonder if the writers just couldn’t decide which show that the

0.1
    If you could ever bring yourself to actually watch this show, you would find out that it is really a family drama that happens to be set in the White House. Unfortunatly, the family drama part is not good enough to drive an entire episode, so the writers come up with some kind of major catastrophe every week to keep the plot moving. This show aspires to be The West Wing is, which is a show that can, and has been, driven on the power of good story telling with out the constant use of flashy political gimmicks.
  • Don't even bother with this garbage!!!!!!

0.1
    Worst show of the new season!!! The premise is patently absurd. A Republican President selects an independent female running mate!?!? Are you telling me that there were no qualified female republican candidates out there to choose from? I can't believe that these producers try to pass this President off as an independent when in fact she is a bleeding-heart liberal. This program doesn't even pretend to be impartial when it comes to politics...it bashes republicans at every turn. The other President show, the liberal leaning West Wing is written well. ABC's rendition of oval office politics is worse than watching William Hung on American Idol.
  • It Bled Sap....

0.1
    As political shows go... oh, my, what a smell....

How anyone can sit through weeks of watching a "new" President having to get a new administration together is bad enough. Now we have to watch it "just because she's a woman President?" And all her problems with it?

The sufferage years are over folks... this show will become tedious and boring.... and as of the pilot show, it had "agenda" written all over it.
  • Dull and un-original ... plus, it stars Geena Davis. Enough said.

0.1
    Let us begin with the fact that this show is pratically a carbon copy of The West Wing, minus the talented cast and starring a female president. The premise of the show hinges solely on the fact that there is a female President, which simply will not sustain any medium-to-long-term plots. The West Wing has already tapped into the Political Science and [politically-oriented] drama audience, and has amassed a solid, loyal fan base, both of which give it an upperhand right from the start.

Then, there is the fact that the star of the show is Geena Davis. Before all else, I have two words for her: Buffalo Bill. Aside from that, I do believe she returned to television (from the big screen) with The Geena Davis Show because she was sick of archery.

I expect some fanatical feminists will tune in to the show exclusively because the President of the U.S. is a woman. Some will tune in because of an interest in Political Science, while others will watch strictly out of curiosity. But after a few weeks, I foresee interest waning quickly and the lack of any fan base becoming apparent in the ratings.
  • What a disappointment! It reminds me of the Susan B. Anthony dollar...sized the same as a quarter so that it was doomed from the start. The casting, acting, directing and writing here is awful.(Southerland is the only exception) Shame on you!

0.3
    What a disappointment! It reminds me of the Susan B. Anthony dollar...sized the same as a quarter so that it was doomed from the start. The casting here is awful except for Donald Southerland. Is it the director or writer or both? Simplistic plots, unrealistic solutions, a president with no emotions, and unbelievable characters. Like many women I was excited about this show. I have watched all of them to date and actually turned in off in the middle last week because it was just so phoney. It is set up to fail so that the "powers that be" can say, "oh yeah, a woman president, we tried that and it didn't work." Shame on you!
  • What a joke! We (I) are not impressed with this show. Geena Davis is a wonderful actress, but this show is not well written. The plots are foreseeable, the supporting cast is poorly written. Better TV is available during this time slot.

0.8
    Geena Davis is one of my favorites. I will watch that dumb movie "Earth Girls are Easy" because of her. But I will not subject myself to this piece of poorly written and thought out program. I have watched about 10 mins of 2 episodes and found it dull and repetitive of the same old same old. The West Wing really shows political life inside of the White House. This is a poor ripoff and we all should find better programing to watch. Please watch anything else, but this program.
  • The show idea fine but idiotic first episode idea and some very bad actors included.

0.9
    The main purpose of a vice president is to take over in case the president cannot perform their duties. Period. There are other things for them to do but that is the main one. So in the fist minutes of the first show some horrible black actor with an attitude steps way over the line and asked the VP to resign. (Now later the president also does and that is plain stupid as he would just not do such a thing but as far as the first guy to ask - he would have been fired in a heartbeat. Maybe this is the same casting people who but a total failure black man in a presidential role on the show 24. If I were a black I would be livid. In The West Wing one of the best actors was Fitz - a black man and they have many blacks that are suburb actors so to place a grade b actor in the first couple of minutes is nuts.

They are trying to copy the idea of West Wing and that is understandable as like with one hospital show or lawyer show they tend to multiply.

Moments after the president asks her to resign there is a flashback of him years earlier explaining how her independence and Middle East expertise is valuable and how her other inexperience is not important. Duh - idiot writers as the president would not ask he to resign now wound a vive president ever ever even think of it as that was the reason they ran for VP was to some day become president - have the writers a mind at all.

The music is a try at the WW music idea and the overhead shots of the government building as establishing shots - WW2 - such blatant tries to copy are so unprofessional.
    The speaker of the house (a good actor)has foolish lines in faulting an adulteruse woman in saying she could not keep her legs together. I think most leaders would act as the VP did in her abhorance to his comments. But why would the writers put in such stupid lines. There are tons of dumb people in the congress but cannot imagine any acting the way that man did.

Much of the world accepts women in power better then the USA so would not have any problems with a woman president. (heck - I voted for Kerry but really wanted his wife and hoped at least some of her ability would be put to use as we all see the failures of the Bush administration)

So - after a few more minutes the awful chief or staff i the opening minutes completely changed and the new president wants he to be here CoS.

The music is way overdone and the sets are moderate - they are trying to copy but they fall short so why try.

I do like the premises though and think it may have a chance to be educational- but it is not yet. We know that West Wing should be mandatory watching in schools so kids can learn about politics and get idea of freedom and big how big business and big pharma controls the government now. This show may in the future raise some good issues but the first episode needed an editor to take out the silliness like thinking the husband could be chief of staff and having him allowing himself to be treated like a first lady... just not at all logical.

We will check next week.

• Expected West Wing, got Soap Opera...

0.9
    Why did ABC spend so much time and money promoting this show? It is nothing like what they promoted. There is very little in the way of political insight. There was bickering (OK, some Beltway insight), there were miraculous make-ups that seemed more like Days of Our Lives.

On top of that, did nobody at ABC watch the final product before it rolled out? There were so many technical problems (audio especially), that it just put another nail in the coffin.

I hope they can work this out and make this a good show, as I like shows about the presidency. But unfortunately, this show will not keep me watching...
  • This show sucks.

Ok this show just sucks its just such a stupid idea anybody could have thought to make a show like this! Nobody watches this show that I know its just so stupid is this show like to inspire women to become the president or something? Its just ridiculas I mean its just another stupid frickin show! A far as ive seen she gotta be the worst president ive ever seen! TOO DRAMATIC!
  • Propaganda

This program is very clearly a vehicle by which America is to be force-fed large doses of "Hillary for President" propaganda. After only a handful of episodes, this America and ABC have spoken -- the show is on hiatus for at least a number of weeks. This, after hiring and firing Bochco, an advertising blitz, and some crafty time-to-air modifications designed to dummy Nielsen ratings.

Some decent talent has signed on for this piece of political campaign nonsense, but poor writing, poorer development, and an even worse ancillary cast buries any hope of said talent shining.

The Golden Globe Geena took for her performance in this sham is every bit as real as Ray Romano's "most watched TV show in history" claim. It's nonsense.

Oh, "Commander" is ahead of its time all right: 60-minute campaign ads are a thing of the future.
  • Oh Please!

I can't believe that people are liking this show and even more I can't believe that Geena Davis won the Golden Globe for it.
    It gets more than a zero for the idea.
    I think it misses the mark by miles.
    And what is with Geena's stiffness; it's like "I'm acting like a President now."
    I would hope a President, man or woman, would have more to deal with than whether or not their gender is being accepted by the public and their staff.
    She was once one of the sexiest women in Hollywood and to see her put on this air makes me cry for Thelma & Louise.
    From the actors point of view I understand why she would want to be the first woman to play a President on TV, it'll go down in TV history and she will be the player to claim that honor, but...oh, please!
  • A luke-warm West Wing knock-off for those less inclined to honour substance over this goo.

The only thing this show has going for it is that more people can find it accessible, as it uses less big words, less seriously researched situations, less true drama and more hankerchief and good-for-a-cheap laugh tactics.
    It is politics for soccer moms and that is all.
    Just one example of fleeting writing:
    When Gina calls in her Vice-president-to-be, she builds the scene up by hinging on the sole fact he is a soldier and she is giving him a direct order. She then reiterates this when he does arrive. However, after a HOPELESS exchange of words, it comes down to "well, you wanted to be here, right?" Well, which is it?
    And the good ol' pat in the back of the "Wow, won't the make a GREAT team, eh?" line really brought it down for me. Watched three episodes to give it a chance - no way.
    Luke warm, getting colder by the minute. Throw out with the rest of tasteless porridge.
  • Why do people watch this.

I don't get how (Commander in Chief) is so popular. I guess when Desprite Houswifes started people started watching ABC more often. I mean this show is copying off anouther bad show (The West Wing) instead changing the character to a women. Donanld Sutherland; I find anouhter screwup in this show which I am very surprized. People just chose to watch (House) its a way better show."
  • There can be some good in a mobster... so I can enjoy the Sopranos. Even lawyers aren’t necessarily evil... I can watch Boston Legal. But politicians embody the worst aspects of both without any of the redeeming characteristics of either... so I can’t enj

This will be an incomplete review since I couldn’t force myself to sit through the pilot. It did seem to capture the essence of politicians, mainly their arrogant belief that they are superior to everyone else and therefore must make as many decisions as possible. As a non-US citizen, it really drives home that the only people US politicians hold in lower regard than their own subjects are the citizens of every other country on the planet.

I can suspend my disbelief enough to really get into a show where a vampire with a soul is the hero. A show where elves and dwarves fight dragons alongside human wizards? Why not? But a show with politicians as the good guys? That is just too far fetched for me to go with.
  • Are you kidding me with this show...

Now I am not saying that this show is bad because a woman is president. I don't really care about that it is that there are just so many scenes that are poorly done.

1. Having the husband of the Vice President be their Chief of Staff is ridicolous. That would never happen.
    2. If the President was ever in any risk of dying then the VP would be so heavily guarded by the Secret Service she would not have had to find out about the Presidents condition in a back alley. And the fact the COS for the president flew all the way to Paris just to tell the VP that the President is sick is crazy. I would imagine that he would be a little bit more busy at that time than to be a messenger.
    3. I highly doubt that the VP could be telling nationally classified information like the Presidents condition to her 6 year old daughter!
    4. Why in the world would they be having high level meeting about the condition of the Presdient in a living room. Makes no sense.
    5. And finally, the teleprompter going out in the middle of a speech...come on!

All in all a very bad attempt to compete with teh West Wing.
  • Geena Davis, an independent, becomes the first woman president after the president (a republican) dies of a stroke. The series follows the drama and shock surrounding the first woman president. Not only does she have to care for a grieving nation, but h

This is a terrible show. Not only does the show have a weak premise, with no real promise of a continual story line, but the acting and direction is terrible.

Beginning with the premise, this is an absurb idea; not the fact that a woman could become president, but that a republican would ask an independent who hasn't been involved in politics for years to be his vice-president. As the speaker of the house says in the episode "you're vice presidency was a whole lot of nothing." It's a prank played by the eventual president to get votes. Her decision to become president revolves around her desire to spite those who want her to step down, and because she desires the power that comes with the office.

Not only does the show lack a premise and a story line worth watching, but the acting and the direction is terrible. Most of the speeches, especially the "feel good" speeches seem fake and forced. None of the actors seem to believe their characters and deliver their lines in a very rigid, wooden fashion.

I saw nothing in this show to make me want to watch it again and I feel that I lost a valuable hour of my life. It almost seems to be a show that tries to combine West Wing with a teenage drama like Gilmore Girls or Everwood. It is a combination of a number of shows already on TV and does a poor job of combining them. Jack and Bobby, a show on WB last season, took a premise similar to this and did a much, much, better job with every aspect of television.

• It's West Wing meets a walking anti-Plastic Surgery ad. No originality and poor casting makes for a dull ride....

Well if you think that a female version of The West Wing constitutes originality, you have a different definition than I do. Yes, the whole "woman president" thing will create some unique storylines in the beginning, but after that gets old (and probably after it gets overused as well) what sets it apart from The West Wing? The woman as a president thing can only take them so far, and Geena Davis won't be able to take the show any further than that.

Geena Davis is washed up. I don't know what happened to her but she looks hideous. Did she have some plastic surgery go horribly wrong? I don't need a hot actress in her mid-20's to play the role, but at least get someone who you can stand to look at and has sophistication about her.

I think I'll probably at least be checking out the pilot episodes of every new fall show this season, but this one I'm almost certainly skipping. Especially when it's up against House, Supernatural and My Name Is Earl.

I just hope women don't watch this for the simple reason of it showing a woman as president. It's a disgrace to television viewing if that's the only reason someone checks it out. The only reason I gave this a 1.0 and not a zero is because I think some people will watch it for this reason (and I think I heard Oprah give this show good remarks, and her word always leads to instant-popularity unfortunately).

Don't let the networks think they can get away with unoriginal, badly-casted garbage like Commander-in-Chief.
  • I didn't care for it and finally ABC got rid of a show that wasn't really all that great

It had potential to be great the story was a good idea, but once again it used the format to bring out it's own political beliefs, which I didn't care for. There are a few shows like that on ABC, but I think it's getting better. If they just stuck with the story it would have been great. They could have kept with him wanting her out of office and her staying in and how she was doing in office, but Hollywood thinks that everyone should think like them for some reason, and have the same beliefs which shows you how out of touch some of them are. HHMM HMMM sorry I'm back to the topic if they changed it up then they could possibly bring it back in a few years or so.
  • i hate it

come on i cant beleive i just watched that though the geena davis show which was so good i watched every episode. The first episode was alright then it turned rubbish. That was okay but it is just not my type of programmes but i still like the geena davis show.
  • boring,does not hold my interest

I found this show VERY BORING.The acting isn't bad,but the show does not hold my interest.I have watched it only because I new a few people on it,but i turned the channel each time.my husband felt the same as I.It had a lot of hipe but was a real let down.
  • Commander in Chief: Contrived and Lacking in Verisimilitude

I was thoroughly disappointed with last night’s premiere of “Commander in Chief.” In a nutshell, the show is a combination of “The West Wing,” and “24.” Unfortunately, “Chief” lacks The West Wing’s integrity, and 24’s sensationalism. It is clear, that with The West Wing taking in its dying breaths, that ABC is looking to capitalize upon a soon to be orphaned audience. If that is their intention, they need to do better. The West Wing is a show built upon great writing and realistic situations. Commander in Chief has neither. In fact the only thing I found entertaining in Commander in Chief, was the scene where Vice President Allen’s speechwriters are told to write her resignation. The moment turns to unintentional hilarity as one of the writers says “Woman… President.” Why didn’t he just say “Premise… Show?”
  • UPDATE: It's better than I expected, and improving! I'll be fair. I've seen 1 episode, and it's just the pilot. Pilots are usually pretty bad, and this one is no exception...but it does show promise, and the potential for

UPDATE: I must give the writers credit. The show is not as bad as I expected...it's actually watchable. This is about as far as I'm willing to go, as I can't stand the preachy attitude. And, get over it already -- a woman is the president, and we don't have to hear about it in every scene.

Bottom line: If you can stand the acting and the actors (Mark Paul Gosselar--what were they thinking?!) this show actually has a little something going for it. If they continue improving at this rate, it may actually be good by the time Mac runs for reelection.

I've upgraded my rating to a 4, from a 2.5. It has the potential to actually last a whole season, if they don't kill it off playing musical-time-slots.

------------
    Geena Davis is one of my favorite actresses. Her role in "Earth Girls are Easy," starring beside Jeff Goldblum and Downtown Julie Brown helped produce one of the funniest kitsch movies of the 1980s.

But apparently Earth Girls are now Presidential material? Like, gag me with a spoon! Totally!

This is not the first show depicting a female President...there was a previous, short lived comedic series, also from the 1980s named "Hail to the Chief." Patty Duke as the President?! Funny, but not sufficiently memorable.

This one, being a drama, has the potential to remain interesting. And, considering the role of women throughout most of the world (Islam, especially), it has the potential for some volatility...

The treatment of the First Gentleman was unnecessarily comical, and his emasculation was quite offensive to me as a straight man. It won't surprise me if the "Queer Eye" Fab 5 show up to give him a makeover and redecorate his pink office, in next week's episode.

Were this being presented as a serious drama, and not just as a way to prepare the country for Hillary's presidential bid, it might show some promise. The American people are not this dumb. With an agenda so blatantly transparent, I expect this show to last only a few episodes...at most a season, if they pre-filmed all the episodes.

Bottom line: A minor disappointment, but the premise has some potential, if they play it right. I doubt they will.
  • I was excited when C-in-C first aired, what a great show. Slowly it has been sliding downhill a bit with the hubby's insistence to be in charge. Drop him.

I believe initially the show was one of those you had to watch, very compelling to see what the next episode was going to bring. The Speaker's undermining of the Presidency outside the White-House is great, the plot is particularly interesting whenever the Administration can dig stuff up on the Speaker as well. I do believe the husband (the First Husband) is being too overpowering, his character is lame to say the least. He is the "significant other", let him take that role. I think the last series did it for me, the whining is intolerable and the Pres caved in. I think you should produce a show where there is an attempt to assasinate the Pres and hubby takes the hit, then two or three shows later he bites the dust.
  • I was surprised that I lasted the full hour of the debut episode of CIC....

I was surprised that I lasted the full hour of the debut episode of CIC. My thumb was on my own "red button" -- the one on my remote control -- after the first ten minutes.

For one thing, Geena Davis' lips have been overstuffed with whatever the latest cosmetic enhancement potion happens to be, and they dominate the screen in ubiquitous closeups. My thought was that they alone could intimidate any opposition, domestic or foriegn.

More seriously, before she was even sworn in, she's standing in the control room of Air Force 2, her private government jet, deadly serious, ringing up the Supreme Commander of the Navy on a huge TV/phone that would make Sony envious, ordering him to move aircraft carriers around the world's hot zones like chess pieces. Of course, he "didn't say boo" or ask any questions.

The idea that she might be forced to resign so the Speaker of the House could become President, struck me as treachery of the highest order. Wouldn't even our currently brain-dead press "go bananas" when it learned of this Machiavellian maneuvering? Yet it was presented on the show as a fait accompli, because it was the dying President's wish, so his personal "vision for Anerica" might continue. Sorry, any V.P. with half a spine would say "too bad for you" after about three seconds of reflection. Yet Geena was ready to do her duty and step down, until....

House Speaker and shameless over-actor Donald Sutherland, who's trying to persuade Geena to resign, plans to do this via a brilliant scheme to insult her intelligence. The kicker was his deprecation of her plan to rescue an adulterous woman in Nigeria from a political execution (Geena's apparently ready to send in the Marines, which is ludicrous for a dozen reasons) by shouting that it's too great a risk "just to save a woman who couldn\'t keep her legs closed!" Well, of course that just clinched it for Geena; she's going to be Prez, dammit. At least good loser (and now-and-forever-adversary-and-pain-in-the-butt) Sutherland was kind enough to let her use his handy Bible during the swearing-in ceremony.

Add to all this the nation's "Mr. First Lady," three cheeky kids, one of whom seems to be a Young Republican (yecch!), and another an innocent ten-year-old girl; staff members more Vulcan than human, and you have a prime candidate for impeachment.

• Its the Geena Davis , Stupid.

4.5
    Its gotta be said that you can throw all the production value you like at a show and it won\'t make a stitch of difference when the lead actor is, well, there\'s no polite way of saying this, just plain annoying.

Quite why Geena Davis has survived in the entertainment industry so long is beyond me. Her filography is nothing to write home about, and can anyone remember a truly great performance of hers.

My best guess as to why she was cast was name recognition, but they\'d have been far better off getting a complete unknown and letting the series sink or swim on its merits.

I\'m sure it would have been a better show for it.
  • I find Commander-In-Chief....a waste of time.

4.9
    Commander-In-Chief, the new show about the first woman president. I find this show a little interesting, but mostly boring. I mean, they don't really do anything. They just talk about all the people who are against her and finding a new vice-president, and.....finding her daughter's diary? I wouldn't recommend this show and advise you all to watch house which is on at the same time as this. C ya!
  • It ain't no West Wing.

Sometimes hacknied. Very slow moving. Tired and cliched plot lines. Unfunny gags. Unrealistic scenarios. Auto-cue being switched off by Majority speaker in first episode yawn. Stroppy daughter with teenage agnst yawn. Cute youngest daughter who solves problem in episode two yawn. Wise but young oldest son yawn. The list goes on.

This premise had so much opportunity. I only hope Stephen Bocho can rescue it.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7