Commander in Chief

ABC (ended 2006)

Commander in Chief Fan Reviews (189)

• God Save the Queen. Er um President that is.

Well, All I can really say is that I hope among hope that this show is well done and succsussful.
    Genna is one of the best actresses alive (IMHO) and this shows premis (west wing meets buffy the vampire slayer.. well kinda) I like ALOT!
    So heres to ABC please don't pull a fox and keep this on the same night and give it more then 4 epsoides to gain steam!
  • It's West Wing meets a walking anti-Plastic Surgery ad. No originality and poor casting makes for a dull ride....

Well if you think that a female version of The West Wing constitutes originality, you have a different definition than I do. Yes, the whole "woman president" thing will create some unique storylines in the beginning, but after that gets old (and probably after it gets overused as well) what sets it apart from The West Wing? The woman as a president thing can only take them so far, and Geena Davis won't be able to take the show any further than that.

Geena Davis is washed up. I don't know what happened to her but she looks hideous. Did she have some plastic surgery go horribly wrong? I don't need a hot actress in her mid-20's to play the role, but at least get someone who you can stand to look at and has sophistication about her.

I think I'll probably at least be checking out the pilot episodes of every new fall show this season, but this one I'm almost certainly skipping. Especially when it's up against House, Supernatural and My Name Is Earl.

I just hope women don't watch this for the simple reason of it showing a woman as president. It's a disgrace to television viewing if that's the only reason someone checks it out. The only reason I gave this a 1.0 and not a zero is because I think some people will watch it for this reason (and I think I heard Oprah give this show good remarks, and her word always leads to instant-popularity unfortunately).

Don't let the networks think they can get away with unoriginal, badly-casted garbage like Commander-in-Chief.
  • Dull and un-original ... plus, it stars Geena Davis. Enough said.

Let us begin with the fact that this show is pratically a carbon copy of The West Wing, minus the talented cast and starring a female president. The premise of the show hinges solely on the fact that there is a female President, which simply will not sustain any medium-to-long-term plots. The West Wing has already tapped into the Political Science and [politically-oriented] drama audience, and has amassed a solid, loyal fan base, both of which give it an upperhand right from the start.

Then, there is the fact that the star of the show is Geena Davis. Before all else, I have two words for her: Buffalo Bill. Aside from that, I do believe she returned to television (from the big screen) with The Geena Davis Show because she was sick of archery.

I expect some fanatical feminists will tune in to the show exclusively because the President of the U.S. is a woman. Some will tune in because of an interest in Political Science, while others will watch strictly out of curiosity. But after a few weeks, I foresee interest waning quickly and the lack of any fan base becoming apparent in the ratings.
  • Geena Davis, an independent, becomes the first woman president after the president (a republican) dies of a stroke. The series follows the drama and shock surrounding the first woman president. Not only does she have to care for a grieving nation, but h

This is a terrible show. Not only does the show have a weak premise, with no real promise of a continual story line, but the acting and direction is terrible.

Beginning with the premise, this is an absurb idea; not the fact that a woman could become president, but that a republican would ask an independent who hasn't been involved in politics for years to be his vice-president. As the speaker of the house says in the episode "you're vice presidency was a whole lot of nothing." It's a prank played by the eventual president to get votes. Her decision to become president revolves around her desire to spite those who want her to step down, and because she desires the power that comes with the office.

Not only does the show lack a premise and a story line worth watching, but the acting and the direction is terrible. Most of the speeches, especially the "feel good" speeches seem fake and forced. None of the actors seem to believe their characters and deliver their lines in a very rigid, wooden fashion.

I saw nothing in this show to make me want to watch it again and I feel that I lost a valuable hour of my life. It almost seems to be a show that tries to combine West Wing with a teenage drama like Gilmore Girls or Everwood. It is a combination of a number of shows already on TV and does a poor job of combining them. Jack and Bobby, a show on WB last season, took a premise similar to this and did a much, much, better job with every aspect of television.

• Excellent political drama - much more realistic and gripping than the West Wing ever was! Really shows the shape of things to come!

Perfect casting! Geena Davis is a very strong actress who stands behind her character - a very committed woman president! Sure, it's controversial, but that's what makes it excellent. Definitely shows the difficulty any VP would experience in assuming the office of President of the United States. Her decision not to resign might just prove to be the best decision ever (if only it were reality!)
  • Love the show. Keep it coming. About Time.

Geena Davis would be a great President. Finally a woman President. Someone to clean up the mess that this men have created. Someone that understands the human part of socity and not afraid to get into a man's face and tell him what is going to be done and there is nothing he can do about it. HA HA
  • An Independent Woman President with a Republican Congress, A Speaker of the House who would like her job, and a newly formed staff. This is a complicated life for our newest first Madame President.

I liked the strength of Commander In Chief.
    Geena Davis does a pretty good job of being Mommy and still acting strong enough to run the country.The fact that she says outloud that she feels she can do this job is a very good moment.
    I loved her face more before the botox/lipjob-I could do with some real wrinkles--this is high pressure occupations here.

I had some trouble with a President that takes on a VP and then doesn't actually believe in them, and asked them to resign--that did NOT make it with me, but however--she is in the White House now so let the show begin!!!

I loved Donald Sutherland as the Speaker, their discussion about power defined who they are, and helped us know them better, and he is going to be a great foil and nemisis for her--the fact that he wants her job, and the fact that he doesn't think she can do this job is going to make for some strong drama moments for us.

I am also really really going to like her Chief of STaff, I think he brings an honesty to her viewpoints. They are not going to agree or even probably get along very often, but their conversations will be interesting and I think his character is a major asset to the show.

I am going to be disappointed with how they treat her husband if they continue to treat him like Nancy and Hillory, and leave him in a bright pink office---that is ridiculous!! IF he was smart enough to be her Chief of Staff as VP-he certainly rates a personal assistant or deputy assistant to either the PResident or Chief of Staff---to suddenly have him think he has to worry about the menus--did NOT ring true to me at all!!

They are going to have some great guest shots coming up--Jason Wiles will be a deputy press secretary, and I don't know what he plays, but having Peter Coyote in anything will up the ante for viewing this show. I did enjoy most of it, and I will be tuning next week.
  • Well done ABC!

After watching the pilot version of Commander In Chief I had to write a review. These past few weeks I have been eagerly awaiting for the show to officially begin. This evening at 9 p.m. (PST) I saw the pilot. What can I say about the pilot, it is definitely a show I want to watch. Throughout the episode I got what I wanted, political drama. The show broadcasted the first woman president of the United States very well. I congratulate ABC for this series. This series now ranks among another political favorite of mine, Jack and Bobby which sadly ended after one season. I look forward to watching President M. S. Allen and the issues she will face. Bravo!
  • It Bled Sap....

As political shows go... oh, my, what a smell....

How anyone can sit through weeks of watching a "new" President having to get a new administration together is bad enough. Now we have to watch it "just because she's a woman President?" And all her problems with it?

The sufferage years are over folks... this show will become tedious and boring.... and as of the pilot show, it had "agenda" written all over it.
  • Past time!

This show may not show all the incredible work and capabilities of women currently in positons of leadership, but it scores high in my book because it brings to the table the conversation that is well past due... a dynamic women in the White House.
    Booooo to Desperate Housewives. Women are so much more. It is time they are shown for the leaders that they have always been, usually behind the scene.
  • Highly predictable; needs to go much further

The pilot to "Commander in Chief" seemed to follow a "check-box" approach to telling the story of America's first woman president. Even the best actors can't save a bad script, and the usually interesting, but clearly way too caged Geena Davis is no exception. "Commander in Chief" moves scene by scene through what could easily fit onto the back blurb of an old Fletcher Knebel-type paperback - the obligatory interruption of business as usual from the whispers of a staff aide, all the trite comments about the country not being ready for a woman president, the comedic "man-as-First-Lady" that appears to be lifted from 1940s screwball yarns (think Cary Grant in "I Was a Male War Bride.") The sprinkling of characters falls squarely into the dime-store novel recipe, too - the rebellious teenaged daughter (check), the grief-ridden presidential secretary wanting to throw her career on the funeral pyre of the fallen president (check), the macho but "surprisingly" deferential military commander (check), the ambitious, Machiavellian Speaker of the House who plans to undermine her while acting nice (check). Let's add to this something right-wing critics are bound to pick up - this new (so-called Independent) president is a liberal, following liberal, humanitarian (and need I add feminist) agendas, and the entrenched conservatives are all aging, backward-thinking power mongers. I am shaking in my liberal shoes thinking of how Hannity, Limbaugh, Fox, and Company will review this one - more to show how Hollywood is the play-child of the "Liberal Elite" - and now we have a propaganda piece to convince us how great a president Hillary will be.

In short, this show needs a lot more development. We will need more (much, much more) than a constant replay of how a woman president conjures credibility out of the cold, male-dominated world of Washington vested interests. If this show keeps falling into the trap of wanting us to ooh and ahh over how talented she is when all hope is lost, like our (next checkbox) never-to-be-trusted teleprompter flubbing up to prove how she can still deliver a syllable-perfect, stirring ovation right off the top of her head (a contrast with Bush? who'd have thunk?), I will much more happily save my week's TV time for Wisteria Lane.

By the way - was there anyone else that thought this past summer's promotions really blew all the passable dramatic moments on this show? Come on, promoters - don't give away the store next time.
  • VP, the first woman in that role and an independant to a Republican president, assumes the 1st office when the president unexpectadly dies. Most of the plot of the pilot is the staff and other members oft he Republican party trying to get her to resign.

I liked it enough to keep watching. I found much of the acting curiously flat, like all of the actors were saying their lines but didn\\\'t really believe them. Since there was some very good actors in this show, I\\\'m not sure why that was...maybe the characters will grow into themselves.
  • Expected West Wing, got Soap Opera...

Why did ABC spend so much time and money promoting this show? It is nothing like what they promoted. There is very little in the way of political insight. There was bickering (OK, some Beltway insight), there were miraculous make-ups that seemed more like Days of Our Lives.

On top of that, did nobody at ABC watch the final product before it rolled out? There were so many technical problems (audio especially), that it just put another nail in the coffin.

I hope they can work this out and make this a good show, as I like shows about the presidency. But unfortunately, this show will not keep me watching...
  • I was surprised that I lasted the full hour of the debut episode of CIC....

I was surprised that I lasted the full hour of the debut episode of CIC. My thumb was on my own "red button" -- the one on my remote control -- after the first ten minutes.

For one thing, Geena Davis' lips have been overstuffed with whatever the latest cosmetic enhancement potion happens to be, and they dominate the screen in ubiquitous closeups. My thought was that they alone could intimidate any opposition, domestic or foriegn.

More seriously, before she was even sworn in, she's standing in the control room of Air Force 2, her private government jet, deadly serious, ringing up the Supreme Commander of the Navy on a huge TV/phone that would make Sony envious, ordering him to move aircraft carriers around the world's hot zones like chess pieces. Of course, he "didn't say boo" or ask any questions.

The idea that she might be forced to resign so the Speaker of the House could become President, struck me as treachery of the highest order. Wouldn't even our currently brain-dead press "go bananas" when it learned of this Machiavellian maneuvering? Yet it was presented on the show as a fait accompli, because it was the dying President's wish, so his personal "vision for Anerica" might continue. Sorry, any V.P. with half a spine would say "too bad for you" after about three seconds of reflection. Yet Geena was ready to do her duty and step down, until....

House Speaker and shameless over-actor Donald Sutherland, who's trying to persuade Geena to resign, plans to do this via a brilliant scheme to insult her intelligence. The kicker was his deprecation of her plan to rescue an adulterous woman in Nigeria from a political execution (Geena's apparently ready to send in the Marines, which is ludicrous for a dozen reasons) by shouting that it's too great a risk "just to save a woman who couldn\'t keep her legs closed!" Well, of course that just clinched it for Geena; she's going to be Prez, dammit. At least good loser (and now-and-forever-adversary-and-pain-in-the-butt) Sutherland was kind enough to let her use his handy Bible during the swearing-in ceremony.

Add to all this the nation's "Mr. First Lady," three cheeky kids, one of whom seems to be a Young Republican (yecch!), and another an innocent ten-year-old girl; staff members more Vulcan than human, and you have a prime candidate for impeachment.

• Don't even bother with this garbage!!!!!!

Worst show of the new season!!! The premise is patently absurd. A Republican President selects an independent female running mate!?!? Are you telling me that there were no qualified female republican candidates out there to choose from? I can't believe that these producers try to pass this President off as an independent when in fact she is a bleeding-heart liberal. This program doesn't even pretend to be impartial when it comes to bashes republicans at every turn. The other President show, the liberal leaning West Wing is written well. ABC's rendition of oval office politics is worse than watching William Hung on American Idol.
  • Make Room in the White house everyone there's a new president in town. A First woman president name Mackinze Allen. She takes over the job after the death of a president who died of stroke and wanted her to resign. But she plan on being the first female p

I really like this show alot cause it has more focus on the president then on her cabinet members like the west wing. I'll admit I thought it was going to be ok and not that great. To my surprise I wanted to see more of it. I look forward to see more of this episode with Mrs. Davis. It's really good.
  • The "Right Wing" Protestants exposed

Great show! Very realistic story lines. I love The West Wing as well. This show will continue to spark much needed dialogue for the makeover that our government needs! The diversity incredible. It gives American politics a sense of humanity. While exposing the sad egos of people we elect to run our country.
  • Commander in Chief: Contrived and Lacking in Verisimilitude

I was thoroughly disappointed with last night’s premiere of “Commander in Chief.” In a nutshell, the show is a combination of “The West Wing,” and “24.” Unfortunately, “Chief” lacks The West Wing’s integrity, and 24’s sensationalism. It is clear, that with The West Wing taking in its dying breaths, that ABC is looking to capitalize upon a soon to be orphaned audience. If that is their intention, they need to do better. The West Wing is a show built upon great writing and realistic situations. Commander in Chief has neither. In fact the only thing I found entertaining in Commander in Chief, was the scene where Vice President Allen’s speechwriters are told to write her resignation. The moment turns to unintentional hilarity as one of the writers says “Woman… President.” Why didn’t he just say “Premise… Show?”
  • It seems as if you are really going to love this or hate it and no in between. But whoever said that any show on television is 100% believeable hasn't watched much T.V.

A female president, what a thought! I think this sparks imagination and interest at the same time. This was made for entertainment, suspense, and nothing more. Anyone who gets wrapped up in all the serious political issues and discredits this intriguing show as "unbelieveable" because of party conflicts or for any sexist reasons has definately missed the mark. For God's sake, lighten up people. Its about a women becoming president and can she do it? It gets my approval!!!
  • A great show!!

I decided to watch the show all due to the fact that Kiefer\'s dad is in it, and that I\'m Kiefer\'s #1 fan. I\'m glad I watched the first episode. What an awesome storyline - a WOMAN president! A great cast. I can\'t wait for the next episode to air!!
  • This new program is so exciting! I'm thrilled to finally see both positive female role models and breaking through the glass ceiling represented by the US Presidency. I am telling everyone I know to be sure and check out this excellent new offering - and

The core topic of "Commander in Chief" is one that is long overdue in the national dialogue. This program raises important issues that need to be considered, and promises to be fairly even-handed in both the promises and the pitfalls in addressing key gender issues and changing the traditional image of the highest political office in the US. I am also glad to see the relationship and family issues included in the story lines, and hope to see some different approaches to power and leadership than the traditional offerings. This is definitely an exciting new program; one to watch - better yet, with friends who would enjoy having follow-up conversations about the issues raised.
  • Well, It's no West Wing, but it is a good show. I think Gina Davis is wonderful. She gave a great performance. I loved the interactions with the first gentleman and the woman from

protocol. I almost fell out of my chair when she referred to him as FLOTUS. I wonder why the writers didn't make Davis's character a republican. Why an independent? That seems to me to be a mistake. She will not have a powerbase in the congress and will be unable to get anything accomplished. I think it would have been more interesting for Davis to have been a member of the party and have them ask her to resign because she is a woman not because she doesn't share the President's vision. The Tele-prompter going on the fritz was a little hard to believe. All in all the show was very well done and I look forward to seeing where they will go with it.
  • Great Show! I have never watched The West Wing or any other shows that may follow the premise. The fact that she is a woman who is unwanted as the president is what drew me to watch. I am glad I did.

A woman in the white house? Even in 2005 after several scandalous presidents the mere idea of a women in the Oval office scares people. As humorously stated by Madame President -There is the monthly issue of whether or not she’ll push the button. - I enjoyed the show very much. It was humorous and dramatic. She is met with opposition from nearly every corner and in fact it was the challenge that convinced her not to resign. The show did a good job at pointing out thoughts on why her being president is a bad idea. An example given was, how other nations leaders may not take women in power seriously (Middle East). It didn’t do a good enough job to show the sabotage from within. Maybe I’m too skeptical, but I think the rich white fat cats would do anything to destroy the credibility of a woman in charge of the free world. There would have been slander, threats, and blackmail…but then again, maybe that is still to come. I’ll keep tuned in to see.
  • To me, this has proven to be an incredible premier. In just the first episode you can sense the scope and realism of this drama. I think ABC has done a profound job and I know that Commander in Chief will be a top drama.

It's a very true to life show. The sheer scope and taking that this show is tackling is intriguing. It's in my opinion one of the best new series to hit primetime in quite some time. It's definately on my list. I encourage all to sit back and enjoy what promises to be a very enjoyable ride. Thanks ABC.
  • Are you kidding me with this show...

Now I am not saying that this show is bad because a woman is president. I don't really care about that it is that there are just so many scenes that are poorly done.

1. Having the husband of the Vice President be their Chief of Staff is ridicolous. That would never happen.
    2. If the President was ever in any risk of dying then the VP would be so heavily guarded by the Secret Service she would not have had to find out about the Presidents condition in a back alley. And the fact the COS for the president flew all the way to Paris just to tell the VP that the President is sick is crazy. I would imagine that he would be a little bit more busy at that time than to be a messenger.
    3. I highly doubt that the VP could be telling nationally classified information like the Presidents condition to her 6 year old daughter!
    4. Why in the world would they be having high level meeting about the condition of the Presdient in a living room. Makes no sense.
    5. And finally, the teleprompter going out in the middle of a speech...come on!

All in all a very bad attempt to compete with teh West Wing.
  • The show idea fine but idiotic first episode idea and some very bad actors included.

The main purpose of a vice president is to take over in case the president cannot perform their duties. Period. There are other things for them to do but that is the main one. So in the fist minutes of the first show some horrible black actor with an attitude steps way over the line and asked the VP to resign. (Now later the president also does and that is plain stupid as he would just not do such a thing but as far as the first guy to ask - he would have been fired in a heartbeat. Maybe this is the same casting people who but a total failure black man in a presidential role on the show 24. If I were a black I would be livid. In The West Wing one of the best actors was Fitz - a black man and they have many blacks that are suburb actors so to place a grade b actor in the first couple of minutes is nuts.

They are trying to copy the idea of West Wing and that is understandable as like with one hospital show or lawyer show they tend to multiply.

Moments after the president asks her to resign there is a flashback of him years earlier explaining how her independence and Middle East expertise is valuable and how her other inexperience is not important. Duh - idiot writers as the president would not ask he to resign now wound a vive president ever ever even think of it as that was the reason they ran for VP was to some day become president - have the writers a mind at all.

The music is a try at the WW music idea and the overhead shots of the government building as establishing shots - WW2 - such blatant tries to copy are so unprofessional.
    The speaker of the house (a good actor)has foolish lines in faulting an adulteruse woman in saying she could not keep her legs together. I think most leaders would act as the VP did in her abhorance to his comments. But why would the writers put in such stupid lines. There are tons of dumb people in the congress but cannot imagine any acting the way that man did.

Much of the world accepts women in power better then the USA so would not have any problems with a woman president. (heck - I voted for Kerry but really wanted his wife and hoped at least some of her ability would be put to use as we all see the failures of the Bush administration)

So - after a few more minutes the awful chief or staff i the opening minutes completely changed and the new president wants he to be here CoS.

The music is way overdone and the sets are moderate - they are trying to copy but they fall short so why try.

I do like the premises though and think it may have a chance to be educational- but it is not yet. We know that West Wing should be mandatory watching in schools so kids can learn about politics and get idea of freedom and big how big business and big pharma controls the government now. This show may in the future raise some good issues but the first episode needed an editor to take out the silliness like thinking the husband could be chief of staff and having him allowing himself to be treated like a first lady... just not at all logical.

We will check next week.

• Short story shorter - first female president of the USA.

First of all, I was very surprised that I liked this show. I thought it's going to be a poor copy of "The West wing". However, it still has the original touch. And I love Geena Davis as the President.

And Donald Sutherland...what to say? He brings the charisma in the show. Since "West wing" has their own Hawkeye Pierce (Alan Alda), so should "Commander in chief"! :)
  • Geena Davis is positively splendid, surrounded by a vibrant, credible cast. The importance of this show is revealed by the very critics attempting to diss it, using words like “stale” and “outdated” when this topic has never been explored on a major netw

Geena Davis presents a complex, determined and ethical individual and we are willingly drawn into the characters as they are unfolding, although we remain uncertain what their allegiances will be and if we can trust them. So far, the writing has been not only credible it encourages our confidence in the portrayals as genuine. Donald Sutherland is practically a perfect counterpoint to Ms. Davis’ character and gives us the needed conflict to reveal the underlying depth and motivations of the surrounding players.

The story moves rapidly maintaining several themes, keeping our interest on several levels. The direction and camera work is excellent and without distraction. As a drama, the storyline has a freshness that taps into the believable with just enough nuance to bring it on! To the critics I say: The portrayal of a strong, committed and effective female leader occupying the most powerful office in America is long overdue. We have examples of very effective and powerful female leaders in the world, but not in America, not occupying the White House. Well, there is one now! And to the future audience I say: Get in at the beginning and enjoy it for yourselves and don’t let prejudices, critics, and other such foolishness spoil the genuine article!
  • This show is ahead of its time, and is hopefully a glimpse of our future. Time to catch up with the rest of the world.

The politics in the show are right on track - the hate and contempt are hardly contained among the jealous and the powerhungry, just like in real life. It doesn't matter who is in office - someone else will always be manipulative and look for ways to destroy the administration. It is refreshing to see a presidential character who refuses to play to political parties, and the fact that she's an Independant helps, although it adds to the unreality of the story as an Independant would never be elected in today's partisan government.

As a liberal, I take great pleasure in the squirming contempt that is felt by the right-wing conservatives who still believe that a woman could never be president. All I can say is get over it, it's only a TV show. For now.
  • Geena Davis is remarkable and deep as the first Female President. The rest of the cast adds up as well.

This show, was as exciting as any show could be for the 05-06 season. Alas, as a show of this grand nature would do, it moves my soul to the highest nature to see a woman as the President Of The United States. This is a first, on television, but the thought of a female president has long been a thought in the minds of many for the past years. Now, with \"Commander-In-Chief\", we can see a glimpse at was it would be. I think the idea is fantastic, and powerful. ', a word that men do not usually associate with women, but it is a possibility. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday, we will see this as a reality. Women have been displayed with power over the years in film, as Geena Davis stood up for feminist rights in \"Thelma & Louise\". How about Helen Slater in \'Legend Of Billie Jean\'? Even earlier, Katherine Ross and Paule Prentice in \"The Stepford Wives\"?

Geena Davis is remarkable and deep as the first Female President. The rest of the cast adds up as well. Beyond any doubt or utter in vain of the women of America, this can be a reality, and this show proves it, and proves it well. Shall this show make a difference in life and politics. Many people don\'t like the idea, but others do, so were I anyone other than myself, I would give this show a chance! It\'s actually really good !
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7